The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

33 minutes ago, gurn said:

So about half the hospitalizations percentage wise, however 6-8 times more contagious.

In other words still not good.

Also another marker is health care sites in outbreak.

Residents of BC long term care are nearly 100% fully vaxed.

Laat summer we got it down to 2 sites I believe before it exploded again in total numbers of sites in outbreak 

On Friday BC was down to zero health Carr sites in outbreak.

The next 4-6 weeks is a hold your breath phase and if hospitalization/mortality rates and site outbreaks remain low and trending that way then we can begin to hope this is fading...... but not until then

I add in long term care as that's the best indicator we have regarding break through infections when the group is fully vaccinated 

I get it the general public isn't at the 99% plus rate but if we don't see any further sites go into outbreak by end January they could point to the fact that vaccines not only work buy are 4he path to ending this once and for all

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

More hoops for them to jump through.

image.jpeg.c481de179fcf86e16fce7cf4fbd60d68.jpeg

I wonder how real horse owners feel about the vet med shortage caused by these folks? horses are such wonderful animals I hate to think of them suffering over these fools.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I wonder how real horse owners feel about the vet med shortage caused by these folks? horses are such wonderful animals I hate to think of them suffering over these fools.

My niece owns 6 horses.,

It annoyed her getting asked to prove she owned at the shop and worried about shortages. Having so many horses, she needs to buy a fair amount

However, her husband is an anti-vaxxer. My niece has a sharp tongue, she had some fun ripping him, telling him to stay out of the barn and away from all the horse stuff, feed, treats, saddles, meds... all off limits to him. 

• Haha 3

B.C. COVID-19 pandemic update:

As of Monday, Dec. 20, 2021, 87.3% (4,352,063) of eligible people five and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 82.6% (4,118,432) have received their second dose.

In addition, 91.7% (4,250,903) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine, 88.8% (4,118,375) have received their second dose and 16% (727,761) have received a third dose.

Also, 92.1% (3,982,962) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose, 89.3% (3,863,965) received their second dose and 17% (726,994) have received a third dose.

Over a three-day period, B.C. is reporting 2,550 new cases of COVID-19, for a total of 228,335 cases in the province:

• Dec. 17-18: 911 new cases
  • Dec. 18-19: 832 new cases
  • Dec. 19-20: 807 new cases

There are 5,435 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 220,348 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 185 individuals are in hospital and 77 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

The new/active cases include:

• 877 new cases in Fraser Health
    • Total active cases: 1,707
  • 909 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health
    • Total active cases: 1,823
  • 268 new cases in Interior Health
    • Total active cases: 648
  • 81 new cases in Northern Health
    • Total active cases: 236
  • 415 new cases in Island Health
    • Total active cases: 1,021
  • no new cases of people who reside outside of Canada
    • Total active cases: zero

In the last 72 hours, three new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,402.

The new deaths include:

• Fraser Health: one
  • Northern Health: one
  • Island Health: one

Public health is monitoring the increase in cases in British Columbia and developments in other jurisdictions, and will outline additional COVID-19 measures during Tuesday’s regular media briefing.

Note: The update on cases of the Omicron variant of concern will be provided in tomorrow's COVID-19 pandemic update.

There have been no new health-care facility outbreaks. There is one active outbreak in:

long-term care:

• none

acute care:

• Lions Gate Hospital (Vancouver Coastal Health)

assisted or independent living:

• none

The outbreak at Vancouver Island Regional Correctional Centre (Island Health) has been declared over.

From Dec. 10-16, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 39.4% of cases.

From Dec. 3-16, they accounted for 71.4% of hospitalizations.

Past week cases (Dec. 10-16) – Total 3,721

• Not vaccinated: 1,397 (37.5%)
  • Partially vaccinated: 69 (1.9%)
  • Fully vaccinated: 2,255 (60.6%)

Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Dec. 3-16) – Total 154

• Not vaccinated: 104 (67.5%)
  • Partially vaccinated: 6 (3.9%)
  • Fully vaccinated: 44 (28.6%)

Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Dec. 10-16)    

• Not vaccinated: 190.7
  • Partially vaccinated: 34.3
  • Fully vaccinated: 49.7

Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Dec. 3-16)

• Not vaccinated: 23.8
  • Partially vaccinated: 4.9
  • Fully vaccinated: 1.0

Since December 2020, the Province has administered 9,165,398 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca and Pfizer Pediatric COVID-19 vaccines.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021HLTH0232-002427

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, iwtl said:

2500 cases over the weekend and only 300 are the new variant ctv reporting

Did CTV report how many of those new cases were actually tested to see which variant?  USA reporting 73% of their new cases are now Omicron.  Likely we are pretty similar, and this 300 is because of testing perimeters.  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Did CTV report how many of those new cases were actually tested to see which variant?  USA reporting 73% of their new cases are now Omicron.  Likely we are pretty similar, and this 300 is because of testing perimeters.  

"Officials also stated that there were 302 confirmed cases of the Omicron variant of concern in the province, which was more than double the number confirmed as of Thursday."

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

"Officials also stated that there were 302 confirmed cases of the Omicron variant of concern in the province, which was more than double the number confirmed as of Thursday."

Ontario reporting over 80% of their cases are Omicron.  And obviously the unvaccinated are the ones getting really sick and ending up in the hospital:

image.png.94516b0df65b871284c0177f6ccd8343.png

Edited by Alflives

There could be big, big trouble coming.

It may be that way too many people got careless recently, as some reports were all about how much less severe Omni was; and they forgot that Delta is still here.

2,200 people with presumably delta, is a burden to the system. 700 a day over 3 days is not a great number. Was down around 300 a day last week.

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

No ...bc Facebook post says those details coming tomorrow.... but also more actions .... 

Public health is monitoring the increase in cases in British Columbia and developments in other jurisdictions, and will outline additional COVID-19 measures during Tuesday’s regular media briefing.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

My niece owns 6 horses.,

It annoyed her getting asked to prove she owned at the shop and worried about shortages. Having so many horses, she needs to buy a fair amount

However, her husband is an anti-vaxxer. My niece has a sharp tongue, she had some fun ripping him, telling him to stay out of the barn and away from all the horse stuff, feed, treats, saddles, meds... all off limits to him. 

whenever I see a horse i think of my dad, he pretty much grew up on one. I sure miss him.

• Huggy Bear 4

1 minute ago, iwtl said:

No ...bc Facebook post says those details coming tomorrow.... but also more actions .... 

If it’s 83% Omicron in Ontario, and 75% Omicron across the US it’s very likely we are around those figures too.  Hopefully we have a two week circuit breaker over Christmas.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I miss my best friend.  His favourite dewormer flavour was apple.  Not mine.  Yuk! 

3C95D861-634D-41DC-A0E4-B94BD063FA2D.jpeg

what a nice shot.

Getting to ride a bit as a kid in SK on my grandparents farm is something i still think about. Things were so different then, when the hell did things get so dumb?

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1