The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

13 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

A mandatory vaccine policy being talked about when we cannot even get the rcmp and firefighters to all get vaxxed as a work requirement yet ? Hmm seems silly

Way easier to simply make adults show show vaccine passports at the hospital.  No passport; no entry.  No passport; no ambulance service.  No passport; no medical care.  

Edited by Alflives
  • Cheers 1

14 hours ago, DeNiro said:

It’s as much of a failure of this current government as past governments.

The fact that we didn’t even have our own ability to research and develop our own vaccines highlights this. We were at the mercy of big American corporations to get vaccine deliveries. Sad state if you ask me.

We live in a country that rations healthcare and people smile and take it. Number of beds available to Canadians is the lowest in the OECD. Our BC Health doesn’t even maintain a list of citizens who don’t have a GP. How many people do you think will have  serious illness or even premature death because of lack of care from a primary health provider? IMHO the BC government should pay for healthcare for those who have to leave the province for procedures or diagnosis. 

6 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

We live in a country that rations healthcare and people smile and take it. Number of beds available to Canadians is the lowest in the OECD. Our BC Health doesn’t even maintain a list of citizens who don’t have a GP. How many people do you think will have  serious illness or even premature death because of lack of care from a primary health provider? IMHO the BC government should pay for healthcare for those who have to leave the province for procedures or diagnosis. 

Disgusting how the Libs gutted the public sector.  It's going to take a generation to just clean it up

14 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Good points. Don’t disagree with any of them.

And yea I hope the thing that comes out of this is massive investments in our health care system. Everything from innovation (vaccine research, streamlining care/treatment times), to supporting health care workers financially and with mental health support.

There should be no excuses for our health care system to reach the brink of collapse again.

As for anti vaxxers being off the hook I don’t really think they are. A lot of them have had to sacrifice jobs, relationships, and the ability to enjoy the new normal life that the rest of us are. Oh and they still risk getting seriously ill. 

I don’t think more punishment is necessary. Seems like the government is just mad about their insubordination at this point. If they thought that 100% vaccination was ever possible they’re more out of touch than I thought.

I don't think anyone believes 100% is possible, I think they are looking for a legal path to make treatment decisions.

The anti-vax are really eroding trust in the system. Most of us have done what we can most of the time. But a few come along and really make things hard on all of us, and imo have some really cruel outcomes on people waiting for surgery. 

If a few anti-vaxxers are allowed to do so much damage, why should any of us follow the rules?

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

BC Libs, not federal.  Cons in sheep's clothing

is this debate helpful tho? you've said yourself you'd likely be much more upset at the BC Libs if they had done the exact same things the BC NDP has done. Why should the NDP get a pass on lack of innovation? 

More criticism of the BCCDC masking policy from other experts.

"
These leaks lead to significantly less protection against the novel coronavirus, she explained. A well-fitted respirator offers more than 95 per cent protection, while the effectiveness ranges from 20 per cent to 90 per cent for medical masks depending on how snug it is."

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/coronavirus-covid-19-local-news/dr-bonnie-henry-comments-on-why-she-isnt-pushing-n95-masks-in-wake-of-surging-covid-19-cases-4933652

• RoughGame 2

4 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

More criticism of the BCCDC masking policy from other experts.

"
These leaks lead to significantly less protection against the novel coronavirus, she explained. A well-fitted respirator offers more than 95 per cent protection, while the effectiveness ranges from 20 per cent to 90 per cent for medical masks depending on how snug it is."

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/coronavirus-covid-19-local-news/dr-bonnie-henry-comments-on-why-she-isnt-pushing-n95-masks-in-wake-of-surging-covid-19-cases-4933652

that article doesn't criticize BCCDC's policy. 

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, JM_ said:

is this debate helpful tho? you've said yourself you'd likely be much more upset at the BC Libs if they had done the exact same things the BC NDP has done. Why should the NDP get a pass on lack of innovation? 

They don't, at all, and I've expressed my deep discontent with the NDP regarding finding in education.  I voted NDP to get the Libs out, but I didn't vote for them in the last election because it's clear that they don't intend to find public services the way they need to be funded.

However, there is a very clear distinction between the two parties.  The NDP might under fund education, health care etc, but they do that to try to stay within a budget and appease more fiscally conservative members of the left and moderate cons on the right.  The Libs gutted the public sector out of sheer contempt.  They were ruthless and they revelled in the cruelty.

2 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

I quoted the piece at the end where they interview Linsey Marr. Just another aerosol expert saying that leaky surgical masks aren't as effective, and put some numbers to that effect.
https://cee.vt.edu/people/faculty/lmarr.html

I appreciate that you find credible sources to support your arguments and I agree with your premise, I just don't think it's very realistic.  At work, I have to be the mask police, so I get it, but short of super glueing it to people's faces it's just not going to be any better.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

thats talking about fit. She doesn't address the overall BCCDC strategy or policy at all. 

They link to the earlier incident that she encountered. She was forced to removed her N95 mask and wear a leaky medical mask on a bus. That happened in Alberta, but I think the message is clear to all provinces.

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/coronavirus-covid-19-national-news/more-protective-masking-including-n95s-needed-to-curb-omicron-say-experts-4876942

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I appreciate that you find credible sources to support your arguments and I agree with your premise, I just don't think it's very realistic.  At work, I have to be the mask police, so I get it, but short of super glueing it to people's faces it's just not going to be any better.

I'm not suggesting it's practical for kids in schools. The adults in same building are at higher risk, and I think they could manage with the better masks.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

They don't, at all, and I've expressed my deep discontent with the NDP regarding finding in education.  I voted NDP to get the Libs out, but I didn't vote for them in the last election because it's clear that they don't intend to find public services the way they need to be funded.

However, there is a very clear distinction between the two parties.  The NDP might under fund education, health care etc, but they do that to try to stay within a budget and appease more fiscally conservative members of the left and moderate cons on the right.  The Libs gutted the public sector out of sheer contempt.  They were ruthless and they revelled in the cruelty.

I think you need to recognize the value of some of the innovations tho. BC Cancer, e.g. had a massive expansion under the Libs. So did many parts of VGH. 

I just think we need to get off the us vs them political stuff and start demanding real innovation. The political debates won't get us anywhere. 

3 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

They link to the earlier incident that she encountered. She was forced to removed her N95 mask and wear a leaky medical mask on a bus. That happened in Alberta, but I think the message is clear to all provinces.

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/coronavirus-covid-19-national-news/more-protective-masking-including-n95s-needed-to-curb-omicron-say-experts-4876942

she was on a bus in AB. WTH does that have to do with Henry?

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I think you need to recognize the value of some of the innovations tho. BC Cancer, e.g. had a massive expansion under the Libs. So did many parts of VGH. 

I just think we need to get off the us vs them political stuff and start demanding real innovation. The political debates won't get us anywhere. 

What they did to education was criminal, everything after that is an asterisk as far as I'm concerned, and I'm not saying that as a teacher.  I'm saying that as a parent who saw it all from the inside...........they screwed an entire generation of kids by slashing and burning the education system and squealed with glee as they did it.

• Cheers 1

This is one of those times that we will just have to sit back and watch the disaster unfold. Teachers and health workers are about to get sick, and the result will be either mandate teachers and health workers to work while sick, or close schools and hospitals. The science says it is preventable, but without a change in masking policy, this is the path we follow.