The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

8 minutes ago, gurn said:

Need doctors and Nurses?

How many foreign trained Doctors, nurses and other medical experts are stuck working as janitors and painters? Perhaps it is time to review Canadian Medical policy to see if the  unlicensed are only being held back by archaic policy rather than actual ability.

The fact that even now they're not letting immigrant doctors help out is really sad and baffling at best.

42 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I'm pro none of our parties these days but I don't know if any party would have acted different tbh.

I don't think so, we have to rely on the folks no one really see's (or rarely sees) in our public service and that doesn't generally have big turn over government to government. 

• Burr 1
17 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I agree...which is why I said earlier that I believe Andrew Scheer would be handling the situation much as JT is.

The fact that Rob Ford is probably doing the as good, if not better than any other leader in North America, outlines the fact that this is much bigger than partisanship. It's just too bad that certain people can't get past their dislike of elected officials and look at the situation with an unjaundiced eye....

I think they are equally corrupt. As someone who doesn't have a lot of money I couldn't care less who is in power. At the end of the day they all take every penny the can from us without us revolting. Having been through over 30 elections which I could have voted my life hasn't changed one bit regardless of who gets voted in.

I do think we've handled this pretty well, although I do agree that Scheer, or whomever would probably be doing the same things.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, nucksnavsfan said:

One move so far has been to get all recently retired doctors and nurses to re-up and join the front lines. That’ll help but I fear it won’t be enough.

I believe New York expedited the graduation of its medical school students that were due to finish this Spring. 

• Like 1
  • Hydration 2

Came home from work today, checked this page

https://www.covid-19canada.com/ updated 1:08 PM Pacific time

See US cases up by 15,301

Also Dr. Fauci says  US death toll could reach :

"“I would say between 100,000 and 200,000 cases,” he said, correcting himself to say he meant deaths. “We're going to have millions of cases.” But he added “I don't want to be held to that” because the pandemic is “such a moving target.”

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/fauci-says-coronavirus-deaths-in-us-could-top-100000/ar-BB11S5cj?ocid=spartandhp

WASHINGTON — As the White House looks for ways to restore normalcy in parts of the U.S., the government's foremost infection disease expert says the country could experience more than 100,000 deaths and millions of infections from the coronavirus pandemic.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, speaking on CNN's “State of the Union” on Sunday, offered his prognosis as the federal government weighs rolling back guidelines on social distancing in areas that have not been as hard-hit by the outbreak at the conclusion of the nationwide 15-day effort to slow the spread of the virus.

“I would say between 100,000 and 200,000 cases,” he said, correcting himself to say he meant deaths. “We're going to have millions of cases.” But he added “I don't want to be held to that” because the pandemic is “such a moving target.”

About 125,000 cases of COVID-19 in the U.S. had been recorded as of Sunday morning, with over 2,100 dead. It is certain that many more have the disease but their cases have not been reported.

One in three Americans remain under state or local government orders to stay at home to slow the spread of the virus, with schools and businesses closed and public life upended.

Dr. Deborah Birx, head of the White House coronavirus task force, said parts of the country with few cases so far must prepare for what's to come. “No state, no metro area, will be spared,” she said on NBC's “Meet the Press.”

Fauci said he would only support the rollback in lesser-impacted areas if more testing is in place to monitor those areas. He said “it’s a little iffy there” right now.

Most people who contract COVID-19 have mild or moderate symptoms, which can include fever and cough but also milder cases of pneumonia, sometimes requiring hospitalization. The risk of death is greater for older adults and people with other health problems. Hospitals in the most afflicted areas are straining to handle patients and some are short of critical supplies.

Trump had eyed a “reopening” of the U.S. economy by Easter, April 12, but in recent days medical professionals have warned that would be far too soon for the nation's heavily affected urban areas.

Just on Saturday, Trump was discussing tightening restrictions, suggesting then backing away from an “enforceable” quarantine of hard-hit New York, Connecticut and New Jersey. Instead, the White House task force recommended a travel advisory for residents of those states to limit non-essential travel to slow the spread of the virus to other parts of the U.S.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi suggested that Trump shouldn't be so quick to reverse the social distancing guidelines, saying more testing needs to be in place to determine whether areas currently showing fewer infections are truly at lower risk.

Trump's “denial” in the crisis was “deadly,” she told CNN.

“As the president fiddles, people are dying, and we have to take every precaution," she said. She promised a congressional investigation once the pandemic is over to determine whether Trump heeded advice from scientific experts and to answer the question that resonates through U.S. political scandals: “What did he know and when did he know it?”

Trump played down the severity of the pandemic for weeks. Asked whether she is saying that attitude cost American lives, Pelosi said: “Yes, I am. I'm saying that."

Meanwhile, governors in other hotspots across the country were raising alarm that the spread of the virus was threatening their health-care systems.

“We remain on a trajectory, really, to overwhelm our capacity to deliver health care,” Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards said on ABC’s “This Week.” “By the end of the first week in April, we think the first real issue is going to be ventilators. And we think it's about the fourth or fifth of April before, down in the New Orleans area, we're unable to put people on ventilators who need them. And then several days later, we will be out of beds.”

He said they officials have orders out for more than 12,000 ventilators through the national stockpile and private vendors, but so far have only been able to get 192."

-------------------------------------------

If there is a God, the people of the US, and the world could use some help.

• Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yikes. I hope people are listening to this guy. 

I don't think Pelosi is helping by threatening to investigate Trump at this point, stuff like that doesn't tend to end up with the orange idiot making good moves. 

Oh ffs whats she threatening to investigate him this time over?  Lets see we have a problematic pandemic and you're going tto just try and stoke the fire again....

• Hydration 2
On 3/27/2020 at 12:48 PM, nuckin_futz said:

Australia going next level with the quarantines. Dragging anyone off to a hotel for a 2 week stay regardless of if they're an Australian citizen or permanent resident.

Forced coronavirus quarantine for all people returning to Australia

All passengers who arrive in Australia after midnight on Saturday will go into mandatory quarantine in hotels for a fortnight, Prime Minister Scott Morrison has announced.

Concerns have been raised about people not adhering to self-isolation requirements, particularly after getting off cruise ships.

Defence Force personnel will be brought in to support state and territory police in enforcing the mandatory quarantine and the self-isolation rules that apply to people who are already in Australia or who arrive before the Saturday midnight deadline.

Mr Morrison said two-thirds of the nation's confirmed cases of coronavirus had come from people travelling from overseas.

"States and territories will be quarantining all arrivals through our airports in hotels and other accommodation facilities for the two weeks of their mandatory self-isolation before they are able to return to their home," he said.

"If their home is in South Australia, or in Perth, or in Tasmania and they have arrived in Melbourne, they will be quarantining in Melbourne."

I'm surprised by the virus number from Australia.  They seemed to have started a bit later than Canada in tackling the problem and have done less than half the number of testing as us.  I know we have a larger population than them.....but not that much (eg., not double I don't think).  They also do alot of trade with China (granted not landlocked together but still fairly close to each other in terms of distance).  Case of the problem being undereported?

31 minutes ago, Kryten said:

You are not kidding. Just check out this care home situation: 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/6591015/bc-interior-health-seniors-home-summerland/amp/

I have worked in long-term care and it is a profit machine owned by corporations (mostly eastern Canadian or Chinese) that treat them as such. RN’s and LPN’s are routinely let go in favour of less costly Care Aides to boost profits. Unfortunately, this practice severely limits the quality of care that otherwise would be available. This means many RN’s and LPN’s are forced to work part-time at a few different homes/clinics/hospitals to make ends meet.

This reminds me of the American health care system: profit trumps life (pun intended).

I was thinking more along the lines of the sanitary practices within the care facilities......I highly doubt there is much hand washing and/or gloves being worn and discarded when going from patient to patient.

I wish someone would ask Dr.Henry during their daily reports and Q&A how many of BC’s cases are in long term care facilities.  I am sure the numbers are staggering.   When/if my day comes, I will not consent to going into one of these places....you can just take me out back and shoot me first.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 2
45 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yikes. I hope people are listening to this guy. 

I don't think Pelosi is helping by threatening to investigate Trump at this point, stuff like that doesn't tend to end up with the orange idiot making good moves. 

Risky play but Tump's suggestions can, and should, be considered crimes against humanity.  The responsible thing to do is to remove Trump from office by any means necessary before more innocent people die due to his disregard for human life.  Forget locking him up, that evil piece of garbage needs to be swinging from the gallows.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 2
  • Vintage 1
13 minutes ago, stawns said:

well his idiocy is going to cost the lives of tens, hundreds of thousands of American lives.  Being a con man is bad enough, being a complete and total inept psychopath is another.

I wish that for the sake of lives you'd get democrats, CNN, MSNBC praising Trump for "constantly following the advice of experts"... maybe he is just narcissistic enough to love the praise that he'd actually do what's actually right. 

• Haha 1
18 minutes ago, Canorth said:

Trump saying that states are hiding thousands and thousands of “generators”.... OK?  good to know? But I think they’re more interested in “ventilators”

home video GIF

He's just gonna shock the virus out of them!

• Haha 3
  • -SN- locked and unlocked this topic
  • -SN- featured and pinned this topic
  • -SN- unfeatured this topic