The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

35 minutes ago, Heretic said:

From what I remember - it's the opposite - The senate in the US has the power.

the pissing match is the problem. Who cares who has more power, etc. everyone needs to be coordinating and working together. Even if it ends up having negligible effect immediately, the stress that Trump creates with his attacks (see my example above about GM and ventilators) may be having longer term consequences if Trump is scaring away other companies from wanting to get involved in the effort. By Trumps own comments he's just as concerned with his approval rating as the virus.

Contrast that with how well our fed's and provinces are working together. Even Doug Ford tweeted out that Trudeau is doing a good job, which is a minor miracle in itself.

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

You honestly don't believe his downplaying of the severity of the crisis has influenced people's actions? Even when we see reports of mass gatherings at churches and beaches in deep red states? :huh:

Sure - people are influenced.  

I was chatting with the wife and we kind of came up with some reasons why the corona virus is spreading very quickly in some places and very slow in others. 

In the West... a large proportion of people here are simply unhygienic compared to say people in South Korea, Taiwan, Japan, etc.  

We live in a society where people who are sick who don't wear masks (it doesn't absolutely prevent the spread of any airborne illnesses, but does slow it down a lot), people who still wear shoes inside their homes, and we have washrooms with signs to remind people to wash their hands because a huge enough proportion of people don't.  

A culture where people just casually spit on the ground and throw trash anywhere, even when trash bins are at times within 2 meters of said individuals.  

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Contrast that with how well our fed's and provinces are working together. Even Doug Ford tweeted out that Trudeau is doing a good job, which is a minor miracle in itself.

I think Ford has done an overall better job thus far than Trudeau during this 'crisis' (granted the former has less on his plate than a PM) - just my opinion...not stating it as a fact.   But you don't see Ford 'gloating' or mugging the camera unlike some Urine Man.  He's projecting strong leadership.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the pissing match is the problem. Who cares who has more power, etc. everyone needs to be coordinating and working together. Even if it ends up having negligible effect immediately, the stress that Trump creates with his attacks (see my example above about GM and ventilators) may be having longer term consequences if Trump is scaring away other companies from wanting to get involved in the effort. By Trumps own comments he's just as concerned with his approval rating as the virus.

Agreed, just like how Pelosi wants $35 million for the John F. Kennedy Center for Performing Arts and $7 million for just one specific charter school in Washington, D.C - how does that help fight this pandemic?  

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I think Ford has done an overall better job thus far than Trudeau during this 'crisis' (granted the former has less on his plate than a PM) - just my opinion...not stating it as a fact.   But you don't see Ford 'gloating' or mugging the camera unlike some Urine Man.  He's projecting strong leadership.

Ford's been a pleasant surprise for sure, he's earned the praise he's getting. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Heretic said:

Agreed, just like how Pelosi wants $35 million for the John F. Kennedy Center for Performing Arts and $7 million for just one specific charter school in Washington, D.C - how does that help fight this pandemic?  

it helps keep people working in the arts community, just like other financial help is going to help other industries. I'm not going to get into food vs art thing with you on this thread but if you want to start a new thread I'd be happy to debate you on that topic elsewhere. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

You need to go back to like grade 6 Social Studies to understand that the President of the United States holds way more power than the Prime Minister. I'm not just talking about the USA being bigger and therefore having more power. The US system is designed to give the President more power compared to the CDN system. 

i agree

and look at the coronavirus issue

what was/is the biggest difference between the usa and canada on this issue

testing

and why ?

testing protocols and kits in canada are managed at the provincial level

and provinces could decide when to get on this

and bc got on it early

other provinces a bit early . some not early enough though

in the usa

all testing protocols and kits are managed through the cdc (center for disease control)

centralized in washington

they wanted to develop their own kit, their first effort was flawed

states were not permitted to do their own testing or get their own kits

no state could test as a result

some states broke the law by testing (washington)
until cdc finally relented and allowed states to do more on their own on testing (and also finally got a test as well)

(there are poorly reported rumours that cdc through the military finally shipped in 1/2 million tests from italy overnight 1 night)

so in the usa no testing could happen as long as cdc did not allow it

that is the main reason why usa is so far behind during this crisis

state medical authorities were basically banging down the door of the cdc wanting to get moving on this issue

Edited by coastal.view

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it helps keep people working in the arts community, just like other financial help is going to help other industries. I'm not going to get into food vs art thing with you on this thread but if you want to start a new thread I'd be happy to debate you on that topic elsewhere. 

As you said - ventilators are more important.

2 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

I think I feel safer just staying at home inside my suite.

Nailed it.

Going out is so stressful and my anxiety goes through the roof.  It's easier this way...not going to fight it or feel I'm missing out by removing myself from society.  The only issue I have is it's absolutely KILLING ME to not be able to be with my family.  We are so incredibly close and when the walls close in, we get together, play board games or share a meal and everything just goes away.  Without that, it's like I'm deficient.

I know "this too shall pass" but I had a moment (again) last night where it really hit me.  Who would have ever imagined this?

Even when Dad was battling chemo and so susceptible to everything....I could be there for/with him.  Now he's floundering out there on his own.  

We all need to just hang in there...what we do in the here and now will greatly impact how long we have to endure this misery.

Best of luck to your Mom, Lois.  Heart wrenching to have to "sit and wait" to see if our loved ones remain unscathed and safe.  Be strong.  <3

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1