The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

And, as someone who often defends Loui....try harder.   The decline needs to be fought, valiantly in order to shut people up.  Last every time isn't going to get it done.

No kidding.

You can lose your legs, it happens to everybody eventually. But you CAN control your fitness, and he did have hands at some point so they should still be in there somewhere.

What he seems to have lost is his heart. He's not interested in playing, and as a result his fitness isn't where it should be for a guy trying to cling to an NHL career, and his hands are gone because he doesn't care anymore. Contrast that to Beagle who wants to win a cup. Again. And again. He has heart and a motor to match - that's why Benning brought him in. You get a guy like Loui out there and it just kills the effort... and a contrast you get Beagle out there and you take the hypercompetitive 21-24 year old looking for a job is getting outworked by a "4th line 35 year old man"... well I guess it's time to buck up the ideas then.

I've seen it in other players before too, guys who were just "done". Loui is done if this TC is anything to go by.

4 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Until Edler is here, I don't see other players, not named Hughes. moving past him, as he takes on a lot of minutes. I think there will be a slow transition when we see it, however.

Yep, until someone shows they can literally take those hard minutes away from eagle, he will keep them. I hope someone steps up but his play is truly under appreciated by many in Vancouver. It’s noticeable when he’s out of the lineup. Our D is stronger now, but still not strong enough to shift him down the lineup yet.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, #Canucks said:

I was reading through everything from the first post onward. This post stood out immensely ..... Single handedly made me genuinely smile. This is encouraging. Virtanen frustrates me because he has so much more to offer, if he commits. Way to go Jake, I hope this continues.

He's finally getting to the "age" where the 'kids' grow up. It's not even an NHL thing... people mature at different rates, and the 'guys' who had it their own way for a long time typically take longer. Some get it way faster (Bo, for example) - but eventually everybody does get it.

If Virtanen decided "yep, this is the year to grow up"... look out NHL because he has all the stuff in the toolbox to *be* our missing winger if he's driven to be that guy.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I really like that the Canucks are a team where camp matters. Green and Benning have shown veterans will lose a spot if they don't perform in camp, and I love that about their approach to internal competition. 

Loui needs to up his game....not sure if "little things" matter as much as some big things that younger guys will bring.  Speed being a huge factor.  Fanning on opportunities in front of the net, too.  Engagement and focus.  Not mailing it in.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, mll said:

CapFriendly typically lists the movements so it should be possible to follow the order at the start of the season.

The bonuses are accounted for at the end of the season.  If there’s cap space banked then it comes out of that amount with the shortfall then being pushed over into the following season as an overage.

Banked cap space in broad terms is 81.5M less all the daily cap hits.  In LTIR there’s no banked cap space because you are using LTIR to operate beyond the 81.5M so you are never able to bank anything as you are above 81.5M.  

On CapFriendly they track end of season cap space (the “projected cap space” column) - that’s the amount available to pay the bonuses.  It will stay at zero in LTIR.  

I do understand that Mll

But isn't is that, although cap space is not banked you can go over your cap by the amount that that player takes..........so in Ferlands case, he is an 3.5 m overage

so if he is kept on the roster until after the first game, then the Canucks can go up to that 81.5 Million + the 3.5 Million, so in actual fact, the Canucks get a 85 million cap?

I am not sure if you have a lesser cap....say 79 million with Ferland npt on LTIR, if you can still go to the 81.5 + putting Ferland on LTIR and get the same 85 Million

I don't think it works that way...........I could be wrong

So, Ferland has to be on the opening night Roster, then put on LTIR, then the Canucks get that 3.5 million cap space (aka LTIR adjustment)

"We don't have time for the young guys to dip their toes in the water".  No exhibition games.

Talking on how it can affect the psyche and you have to see how that pans out.  Talking of confidence level.  "All of a sudden you're on the ice with Edler"....

Further to the Jake question:  Happy with who he's got and not worried about where they play, happy with who he's got.

Love this comment:  "if you asked coaches if they'd like 4 Millers on the right side they'd say yes".  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2