The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I have heard the media say that we "lost a bunch of key gus" enough now that I'm annoyed.  I think with Schmidt and Hamonic we are a big jump better on defense.   We only had Toffoli for a short time in the season and a few games in the playoffs and we did just fine without him.  We also didn't want to commit long term when we have Virtanen, Podz, Hogs, and Lind vying for top 6 minutes over the next 2 years.  We have an incredibly young core.  EP, Horvat, Boeser, Hughes, Demko are as good a core as we could ask for.  These guys will all take a step this year.  Holtby is a fantastic guy to bring in rather than committing huge money long term to Markstrom.  Without Clark and with a new coach and defense who knows what Marky will be.  

Anyway, I believe goaltending will be very strong, defense will be quite a bit better offensively and defensively, and our offense will be mostly the same as Toffoli barely played for us anyway.  And we were a great team who needed a better defense.

EP - 61 Pts

JT - 58

QH  54

BB  53

BH  49

TP 42

JV 39

NS 33

AG 31

This is going to be a fun season.  I can't wait.

• Cheers 4

17 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

I have heard the media say that we "lost a bunch of key gus" enough now that I'm annoyed.  I think with Schmidt and Hamonic we are a big jump better on defense.   We only had Toffoli for a short time in the season and a few games in the playoffs and we did just fine without him.  We also didn't want to commit long term when we have Virtanen, Podz, Hogs, and Lind vying for top 6 minutes over the next 2 years.  We have an incredibly young core.  EP, Horvat, Boeser, Hughes, Demko are as good a core as we could ask for.  These guys will all take a step this year.  Holtby is a fantastic guy to bring in rather than committing huge money long term to Markstrom.  Without Clark and with a new coach and defense who knows what Marky will be.  

Anyway, I believe goaltending will be very strong, defense will be quite a bit better offensively and defensively, and our offense will be mostly the same as Toffoli barely played for us anyway.  And we were a great team who needed a better defense.

EP - 61 Pts

JT - 58

QH  54

BB  53

BH  49

TP 42

JV 39

NS 33

AG 31

This is going to be a fun season.  I can't wait.

Agree with your takes however it does still stings losing a guy like Toffoli. He fit in so well with the team and would've made this team that much more difficult to defend. He also signed a very capfriendly deal elsewhere. I can't help but get frustrated looking at the combined caphits of Eriksson, Baertchi, Sutter, Beagle and Roussel, that is about $20 million invested in 5 players who couldn't combine for number of goals Toffoli would score for us if he is still on the Canucks.

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I love that we're all SO STOKED over....training camp scrimmages.  It's awesome.  

have they put out the physical info yet? we saw Brock and Baer in the Olympic Village yesterday and my wife thinks Baer has put on weight. Maybe he spent the bubble time in the gym?

• Vintage 2

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

have they put out the physical info yet? we saw Brock and Baer in the Olympic Village yesterday and my wife thinks Baer has put on weight. Maybe he spent the bubble time in the gym?

Have not seen any yet....

57 minutes ago, mll said:

Taxi squad is minimum 4 and maximum 6 and has to include at least 1 goalie.   

There’s no banking cap space in LTIR and it seems all but guaranteed that they will use LTIR to sign Hamonic.   The bonus overage could be lower though as the max bonus is pro-rated 56/82.  

The schedule A is max 580K vs 850K.  So Pettersson/Hughes will combine for at most 1.16M in A bonus vs 1.7M last season.  Juolevi also has an 850K target that is now 560K.

Pettersson’s schedule B goes from 2M to just under 1.4M.  He can earn that amount if he is top-10 in either goals, assists, points or points per game.  

I am not sure in what order things have to happen but to gain the most cap space

and have your bonus's reduced when you are at the cap limit and have a player going on LTIR,

there is a specific order it must be done..........which is why Benning has not signed Hamonic yet.

It may also have something to do with who actually makes the taxi squad.....

Lots of moving parts, and I am having a little trouble with the logistics......this is where a capoligist earns his keep

1 minute ago, ruilin96 said:

Agree with your takes however it does still stings losing a guy like Toffoli. He fit in so well with the team and would've made this team that much more difficult to defend. He also signed a very capfriendly deal elsewhere. I can't help but get frustrated looking at the combined caphits of Eriksson, Baertchi, Sutter, Beagle and Roussel, that is about $20 million invested in 5 players who couldn't combine for number of goals Toffoli would score for us if he is still on the Canucks.

I hear you but when those contracts were signed when nobody believed for a minute that Petey and Highes would be the best players on our team while teenagers and weighing a combined 300 lbs.  They were hardworking, character placeholders who are good in the room and, this is key, were willing to sign here when we were still awful.  The process moved up a couple of years, and that's sweet.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1