The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton McDavids | January 14, 2021 | 6 p.m. PT | SN, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 minute ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

No one is soliciting yours either but here we are. It’s a discussion board. 

I meant no one as in the powers that be. the decision makers who put singh in a position to call the game. 

6 minutes ago, xereau said:

"and we're about to take a break with the Oilers down 2, the Canucks up by the same".

That was pretty brutal.

So was when he quite literally sung the name Yamamoto.

Should I go on?

every play by play guy or commentator in sports relies on catchphrases and go-to descriptive language that becomes instinctual. they need to lean on it, especially in hockey, because things develop so quickly. singh hasn't had time or opportunity to develop that "comfort zone" in English. it should be expected that it would take some time. it's an incredibly difficult job to do well. 

• Cheers 2

I forgot how negative these boards can be. Relax and try to enjoy the game. McDavid is an exceptional talent and a joy to watch. I say that as a Canuck fan. The play by play man was good. Well informed and pretty smooth. Not too emotional but worked well with DeBrusk. "Break out the sweets" made me smile. One game and it feels like we're tamping down the negativity. 

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, tas said:

I'm as white as white gets, and I'm by no means a "white knight" or sjw. I'm just sick of needless negativity. 

Fair enough. 

"Negativity" to me is subjective, what you find to be negative others might not see as being negative.  

When I say something is brutal, its a colloquial term. Just another way of saying I didn't like it, not that it was literally brutal.

47 minutes ago, lmm said:

I am betting Loui being on the roster was a cap move 

and no changes for tonight except maybe the goalie

You know what I think. Virtanen will not be on the first line. I'm a big fan of him but he had a glaring hole in his game exposed yesterday well playing with Petey and Boeser he's not a play maker at all. 

1 minute ago, Greenman Wannabe said:

Fair enough. 

"Negativity" to me is subjective, what you find to be negative others might not see as being negative.  

When I say something is brutal, its a colloquial term. Just another way of saying I didn't like it, not that it was literally brutal.

brutal means bad. bad is negative. 

if you had said, "the play by play guy had some rough patches, here's hoping he's able to improve" it would be a different story. 

9 minutes ago, gurn said:

The irony is you seem to be taking it very personal, yourself. Speaking of insecurities, you are now trying to explain yourself to an anonymous poster; that you have already called a 'Virtue Signaller"

Ad you  might want to stop using the "Virtue Signaller" jab,  that was way out of style last year.

I'll use whatever "jab" I feel like, thank you. 

Also, when someone accuses you of assigning race to something, I have every right to explain to them my actual intentions. It's called communicating, so others understand you. 

1 minute ago, Arrow 1983 said:

You know what I think. Virtanen will not be on the first line. I'm a big fan of him but he had a glaring hole in his game exposed yesterday well playing with Petey and Boeser he's not a play maker at all. 

I wouldn't mind seeing Motte on the first line while we wait for JT tbh.

Virtanen goes back to the third and MacKewan or Loui can play on the 4th 

1 minute ago, Greenman Wannabe said:

It does when there's tone involved. 

Unfortunately it is impossible to convey tone through text. 

no, it really doesn't. adding an upward inflection doesn't turn a statement of drawn conclusions into a question. 

55 minutes ago, Greenman Wannabe said:

As others have mentioned, the cringe yamamoto call for starters. Screwing up Roussels first name, repeating the fact of Kahun and Drai being friends growing up in Germany like 5 times. List goes on... I also just found his voice to be grating for some reason... It's hard when you're used to more seasoned announcers to get someone new, who you're not really fond of their "style

I thought he was ok. I just burst out laughing when I heard that Yamamoto call. 

It was too over the top. Great announcers get excited as the play develops and climaxes at the goal where there is energy. That Yamamoto call was trying too hard and manufactured. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, tas said:

no, it really doesn't. adding an upward inflection doesn't turn a statement of drawn conclusions into a question. 

Alright Mr.English professor. 

Whatever you say dude, whatever I say you're gonna have some dumb response to try and make me out to be the bad guy here. 

That's the problem, no one wants to have a rational discussion now a days.

37 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Last night when the one guy says “ really Vancouver, another one?” That was cool! About time people give Jimbo and his team some credit. (On live tv) 

Jeff Marek is a bit of a tool, and TOR fan. I sensed jealousy in his voice, like he was genuinely upset by VAN's gems year after year. I'm sure he's cringing at the thought of Podkolzin joining the Canucks in a few months.  

• Cheers 1