The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petey’s slump. How many more games?

Rate this topic

Canuckfanforlife82

On 1/21/2021 at 7:39 AM, flat land fish said:

Petey’s doing us a solid to keep the AAV of his next contract down.  He’s still been getting chances and the goals will come.  Could be he’s a player that gets pumped up by the crowd and needs to find a way to pump himself up given the current environment.

He was fine in the bubble with no Crowd

I think Petey has a fragile psyche right now. Between Covid-19, trading Marky and so far from family, he’s just down. Currently, he doesn’t enjoy playing the game he loves. If he can dispel the dark cloud hanging over him and regain the joy of playing he will once again be the dominant player we love to watch. He needs a good friend and mentor. Perhaps he needs a huggy.

Try to imagine what it would be like to be a 22 year old with the expectation to lead a Canadian franchise that had never won the Stanley to the promise land. That’s what we and his teammates and coaches expect of him. That’s why this thread exists. This pressure will never go away. It’s hard to find a Calder Trophy winner over the last 20 years that just unexpectedly faded without suffering major injuries, he is healthy, his talent is still there. He will be back. 

2 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

Petey is not a concern, he will eventually bounce back. We should be concerned how much longer jimbo will have a job for.

Careful for what you wish for.   These players we all have grown attached too likely won't all be here if we get a new GM, first order of business is usually trying to make a splash, and the roster won't have  JB fingerprints on it for long.    In other words if you like some Miller, Horvat, EP, QHs, BB etc,  not all those guys likely will remain Canucks once a new GM comes in.   Look what we got for Kesler lol.   50/50 odds at best we won't be starting the entire cycle over again within 3 years would be my bet.  

• Vintage 1

On 1/20/2021 at 9:51 PM, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I am concerned right now because he is not even getting chances and when it looks like he might have one, he flubs it or his hands look like they are made of stone. Tonight he was a -2. It wouldn’t concern me if he was getting a ton of chances but right now he looks tired and it looks like he is handling grenades and rocks out there. I am worried right now. One thing he did do right was he went to the net and created a screen. So that was great.

Slumps and steaks are completely natural for a player.    

My solution is to play Pettersson on RW with Miller and Horvat for a few games.