The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The poultryfication of Jake Virtanen

Rate this topic

Dumb Nuck

Jake “the Duck” Virtanen?  

108 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 2/27/2021 at 7:31 PM, Toyotasfan said:

I don’t want to see him flourish in on a Pacific division rival, the right coach is going to find away to motivate Jake.  If we can’t get a good trade with an eastern U.S. team I’d rather keep him.  We could use another Bertuzzi  for example.

Lol Jake might do better on another team/coach but the bertuzzi comparison has sailed. He can't hold berts jockstrap let's be real 

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Basically none of the pundit/prospect  lists had Virtanen that high.

Most had Nylander or Ehlers.

I did an in-depth on the various lists in another thread and compared them to Benning.

Button and Pronman did better than Benning overall.  Most were worse just on the basis of not picking Petterson where he was picked.

I remember thinking Virtanen was a stretch and we could have traded down to get him if he is who we wanted.  My pick that year wasn’t as good as Nylander/Ehlers... but I had Ritchie as the BPA when we drafted, and I take him over Jake any day now too.

Warning: Provost making crap up again.

https://editorinleaf.com/2014/06/23/2014-nhl-draft-profile-jake-virtanen/

Rankings:

Corey Pronman (ESPN): 11

International Scouting Services: 7

Future Considerations: 10

Central Scouting – North American Skaters: 6

Craig Button (TSN): 43

Hockey Prospect: 18 

Bob McKenzie (TSN): 8

Bob Mckenzie - 8

Central Scouting 6

Even Pronman had him at 11.

Bonus find:

https://lastwordonsports.com/2014/04/12/2014-nhl-draft-profile-11-jake-virtanen/

4c78baa6169d7aab6943f835f909b1ac?s=32&d=Ted Malone says:

Really hope the Canes take Virtanen at the #7 spot. Just the kind of tough goal scorer they haven’t had since Erik Cole was in his prime.

5 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Warning: Provost making crap up again.

https://editorinleaf.com/2014/06/23/2014-nhl-draft-profile-jake-virtanen/

Rankings:

Corey Pronman (ESPN): 11

International Scouting Services: 7

Future Considerations: 10

Craig Button (TSN): 43

Hockey Prospect: 18 

Bob McKenzie (TSN): 8

Bob Mckenzie - 8

Central Scouting 6

Even Pronman had him at 11.

Bonus find:

https://lastwordonsports.com/2014/04/12/2014-nhl-draft-profile-11-jake-virtanen/

4c78baa6169d7aab6943f835f909b1ac?s=32&d=Ted Malone says:

Really hope the Canes take Virtanen at the #7 spot. Just the kind of tough goal scorer they haven’t had since Erik Cole was in his prime.

So... literally none of them had him at 6 where we took him, exactly like I said.  None of them....  or a single one.

You finally did a little research,  but proved my point was 100% correct with what you quoted and listed.

Thanks for that.

Doesn’t make you look very good to be snarky and lying about me being “full of crap” though.

Edited by Provost
  • Haha 1

Just now, Provost said:

So... literally none of them had him at 6 where we took him, exactly like I said.  None of them.

You finally did a little research,  but proved my point.  Thanks for that.

Do you lack reading skills also?

I know your reasoning skills were suspect, but basic reading is your issue? I guess they don't expect much at your 6 figure job, huh? Your daddy run that company for you?

15 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Do you lack reading skills also?

I know your reasoning skills were suspect, but basic reading is your issue? I guess they don't expect much at your 6 figure job, huh? Your daddy run that company for you?

Ummm... you might want to go back and read what you cut and pasted into your post.  None of them had him at #6.

Well, one did... but maybe look at that list’s title a little closer.  Central Scouting does segregated lists of prospects between North Americans and Europeans (well 4 segregated lists to be exact).  Virtanen was #6 for JUST the North American skaters, excluding all the Europeans....  not #6 overall.

I guess I could make him #1 on a draft list I made a list with just skaters named Jake...and excluded everyone else.

Keep trying... one day you will end up being right.

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Edited by Provost
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Provost said:

So... literally none of them had him at 6 where we took him, exactly like I said.  None of them....  or a single one.

You finally did a little research,  but proved my point was 100% correct with what you quoted and listed.

Thanks for that.

Doesn’t make you look very good to be snarky and lying about me being “full of crap” though.

Wow, dude. You edited so you even had a chance to look at the numbers AGAIN - and this epic fail.

So, literally, yes, a single one. LOL.

We also have 7 and 8, 10, 11, 18, 43.

Who else failed in that draft? Sam Bennett at 3, Michael Dal Colle 5, Haydn Fleury (Defenseman, but not worth his pick in hindsight)..

You can cherrypick, in hindsight, which pick you would've liked instead all you want, but that doesn't make you very smart. Lots of teams missed out on Brayden Point (TB), third round. Outperforms most 1st round picks too.

What about Viktor Arvidsson? 5th round. We can cherrypick players all day, but that's not how drafting works.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

Ummm... you might want to go back and read what you cut and pasted into your post.  None of them had him at #6.

Well, one did... but maybe look at that list’s title a little closer.  Central Scouting does segregated lists of prospects between North Americans and Europeans (well 4 segregated lists to be exact).  Virtanen was #6 for JUST the North American skaters, excluding all the Europeans....  not #6 overall.

I guess I could make him #1 on a draft list I made a list with just skaters named Jake...and excluded everyone else.

HOLY LMFAO.

You missed it a third time? LOL PROVOST, you're too much.

Yes, your reading skills suck.

image.thumb.png.73258123d68bc75102e8aeec901a906a.png

image.png

6 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Wow, dude. You edited so you even had a chance to look at the numbers AGAIN - and this epic fail.

Nope... that isn’t a draft list... that is half a draft list... 

You can yell and pout all you want, but in your zeal to be smarmy, you showed you don’t even know how draft lists work.  If you weren’t aware... we do a combined draft nowadays in the NHL where we pick Europeans in a different draft.

You are going to feel silly when you get some sleep and realize how this all works.

Edited by Provost
  • RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

Nope... that isn’t a draft list... that is half a draft list.

You are going to feel silly when you get some sleep and realize how this all works.

25 minutes ago, Provost said:

Thanks for that.

11 minutes ago, Provost said:

What?

https://www.abbynews.com/sports/virtanen-jumps-up-to-no-6-in-central-scouting-rankings/

Virtanen jumps up to No. 6 in Central Scouting rankings

Abbotsford hockey prospect Jake Virtanen saw his stock rise in the latest NHL Central Scouting rankings.

Jesus, Provost. Please talk more because you're on a roll.

It's also not 'half a draft list'. The article included 6 total sources.. Come on dude. 1/6 is not half.

Edited by Dazzle

26 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

What?

https://www.abbynews.com/sports/virtanen-jumps-up-to-no-6-in-central-scouting-rankings/

Virtanen jumps up to No. 6 in Central Scouting rankings

Abbotsford hockey prospect Jake Virtanen saw his stock rise in the latest NHL Central Scouting rankings.

Jesus, Provost. Please talk more because you're on a roll.

You could read the article you quoted... Makes it super clear he is only ranked that high out of “North American skaters” and not overall says it right there in your own article.

Go find a list of how how he is ranked of WHL prospects only... I bet he will be even higher!

Edited by Provost
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dazzle said:

No one saw Pastrnak to be THAT good. That's drafting for you. Did anyone see Hoglander being this good?

Exactly. We had two chances to select him. 23 others teams had a shot as well. Them the breaks. It really is a crapshoot most of the time. And yeah, Hoglander's is exactly that - a gem.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Provost said:

You could read the article you quoted... Makes it super clear he is only ranked that high out of “North American skaters”... says it right there in your own article.

Go find a list of how how he is ranked of WHL prospects only... I bet he will be even higher!

Keep shifting those goalposts, Provost.

From "not a single one" to another excuse. LOL. You've really made my night. Oh and that 1/6 is apparently "half a draft list". MAN. It's a good thing you're not really that 6 figure labour contract negotiator that you once bragged about.

Whatever respect you had on the forums diminishes when you double down on something you're wrong about. I'm not even sure you're sane enough to know what respect is.

I can't wait for @oldnews to see this hilarity of an outcome. Provost is finally broken.

Edited by Dazzle

On 2/27/2021 at 5:59 PM, Dumb Nuck said:

Looks like there’s a chance Jake may become a Duck but not too impressed with what we’d get for him, I’d rather keep him and give him one more go under new coaching.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2021/02/anaheim-vancouver-discussing-jake-virtanen-trade.html

new coaching isn't going to help... either you have the drive to succeed or you don't, obviously he doesn't (enough anyway) and no one can teach that, thinking otherwise is just wishful thinking, I was hoping it was lack of maturity but it's beyond that, sadly but who cares now that Podz is about to arrive soon and take his shot at 2nd line with Bo but If Jake is traded, I bet JB throws someone else in the mix and goes after another Dman

Edited by iceman64

15 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Exactly. We had two chances to select him. 23 others teams had a shot as well. Them the breaks. It really is a crapshoot most of the time. And yeah, Hoglander's is exactly that - a gem.

yeah and that's what made me laugh so hard at those who whined about JT for a high pick that no one knows even if that pick will work out or not since, and you nailed it, a crapshoot for sure.. but I guess if you listen to the media's b.s. long enough you'd believe it and many did.  

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Keep changing those goalposts, Provost.

From "not a single one" to another excuse. LOL. You've really made my night. Oh and that 1/6 is apparently "half a draft list". MAN. It's a good thing you're not really that 6 figure labour contract negotiator that you once bragged about.

Whatever respect you had on the forums diminishes when you double down, even when you're wrong like this. I'm not even sure you're sane enough to know what respect is.

Didn’t change a single goalpost.  Central Scouting never had him ranked 6th overall pick where we took him.  Exactly as I said...

Not my fault you don’t understand how their lists work and think that 6th out of just North Americans is the same as 6th overall... or that you finally do understand, but think going into histrionics to hide your mistake is the best path to save face.

Hey, let’s check out the 2016 Central Scouting List for North American Skaters!  Wow Juolevi jumps to #5... right where we took him!  Great job by our scouts!  Well, I mean “great” if you ignore the European Skaters Matthews, Laine and Puujujarvi who were all ignored off this draft ranking entirely for some weird reason but picked really high out of the blue.  I guess they must be lower down somewhere, or the scouts missed them... odd.

B209ED3B-0B82-4E63-8766-164781EC88F6.png

Edited by Provost

10 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

yeah and that's what made me laugh so hard at those who whined about JT for a high pick that no one knows even if that pick will work out or not since, and you nailed it, a crapshoot for sure.. but I guess if you listen to the media's b.s. long enough you'd believe it and many did.  

Totally. Through out history, there have been many top picks that have completely busted. That's why I don't usually get caught up in the hoopla that the media causes, that some fans buy into. Personally, I had no idea that JT would turn out as good as he has. So what's the point of making an issue out of it to begin with?

21 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

new coaching isn't going to help... either you have the drive to succeed or you don't, obviously he doesn't (enough anyway) and no one can teach that, thinking otherwise is just wishful thinking, I was hoping it was lack of maturity but it's beyond that, sadly but who cares now that Podz is about to arrive soon and take his shot at 2nd line with Bo but If Jake is traded, I bet JB throws someone else in the mix and goes after another Dman

You don’t get to the NHL without drive, I don’t know what went wrong where but something did. However, I do know what bad leadership/mentorship can do to someone with potential and it can be quite catastrophic. Jake needs a change, from there on in it will be squarely on him, I like Jake and wish him the absolute best.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

We also have 7 and 8, 10, 11, 18, 43.

Who else failed in that draft? Sam Bennett at 3, Michael Dal Colle 5, Haydn Fleury (Defenseman, but not worth his pick in hindsight)..

You can cherrypick, in hindsight, which pick you would've liked instead all you want, but that doesn't make you very smart. Lots of teams missed out on Brayden Point (TB), third round. Outperforms most 1st round picks too.

What about Viktor Arvidsson? 5th round. We can cherrypick players all day, but that's not how drafting works.

More Kudos to Craig Button for his Brayden Point ranking that year. He had him rated as the 17th overall pick while most others had him much lower. He ended up going 79th overall. Maybe Button should be considered to replace Judd Brackett.

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

You don’t get to the NHL without drive, I don’t know what went wrong where but something did. However, I do know what bad leadership/mentorship can do to someone with potential and it can be quite catastrophic. Jake needs a change, from there on in it will be squarely on him, I like Jake and wish him the absolute best.

I don't think you know the drive I mean.. the drive that the best have, not just the regular drive that you need to make it, there's a HUGE difference! 

19 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

I don't think you know the drive I mean.. the drive that the best have, not just the regular drive that you need to make it, there's a HUGE difference! 

I do and you make it to the NHL you have to be the best, something killed his drive after he made it.