The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bad Reffing Thread (Including Tim Peel Firing)

Rate this topic

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I agree, but I can't see us ever going back to the One Referee system. Their union would never stand for it.

Nope too many jobs lost.   Same reason the NHLPA and the NHL will never agree for retraction, even though the product would be so much better. 

• Cheers 2

No one is claiming that ALL referees are inept or that ALL NHL refereeing is bad. I’m claiming that there are at least 4 referees, whom this league inexplicably claims are the “best of the best”,…when they are clearly NOT!

Those dubious 4 are entrenched in their old-school tactics, despite our modern hockey culture having embraced more progressive ways. The NHL has altered its’ in-game rules, accordingly,…but then still elevates & rewards old-school officials, who will NOT apply those rules, uniformly. That defiance is  further exploited, when these 4 are deliberately planted into important games & multiple play/off series.  

A generational contract of understanding exists compelling players to willingly help  

these over-lauded old school officials to “police” their games, by vigilante justice if necessary & this is welcomed by owners & fans alike! Game management is the term  most frequently used as “an excuse” for these waffling standards.

So, if refs do not see it,.. it, apparently, didn’t happen? How can  this type of attitude carry on,…despite easy imput from other on-ice officials & the numerous technical devices available for assistance? They will then often decline to use these other resources…because the extra “drama & violence” suits this  league’s insiders just fine….especially at play-off time.  

That modern-day “Mark Messier Leadership Award” is so woefully named. He’s a wildly inappropriate role-model for it - if it’s for some exemplary dedication to sportsmanship & leadership in an era of MORE accountability, on & off the ice, in NHL hockey. ^Combine that optic with the increase in “old-school” officiating at the weightiest times of the year & you get another attempt by the NHL at “mixed-messaging”! 

Respect the rules….or don’t! But, if NOT - why not just become a form of entertainment that’s less-of-a-sport & something more akin to the WWE,….where the referees are useless & don’t matter?  It’s in the ambiguity of the NHL setting down their skates in both worlds,..where the integrity of their game gets lost. The plan is for play-off hockey to remain a far more painful endeavour, by design.

Progressive teams will constantly find themselves at a disadvantage, when the rules just don’t matter. The best athletes in the world will  choose other sports

or other leagues with more integrity, for their health, their safety & their family’s peace of mind.  

The fact that NHL owners & Bettman shirk their responsibilities, along with the NHLPA & NHLOA  - to see that clear standards exist during the regular season & during the play-offs…is so sad! To depart from the IIHF (Olympic) set of standards, taught throughout jr. hockey & adopted by nearly every other ice hockey federation around the world,…seems baffling, confusing & senseless. 

It’s a topsy-turvey world when the “worst” are illogically held-up as the “best”! The refs who are too slow, too blind, too ingratiated, too egotistical or simply too grumpy to be dispassionate, have no business officiating in games of elimination or of such importance…especially when players’ legacies, livelihoods, big-money contracts & other potential awards, can all be effected by their incompetent-whims.

Edited by viking mama

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/463224442272273/permalink/822588749669172/?mibextid=S66gvF

Kelly Sutherland has been announced to be the ranking BCHL officials development coach & mentor for 2023-2024!

What exactly would he be preaching & teaching…. old-school game management tactics instead of progressive philosophy, with a little anti-Canucks bias thrown-in for good measure?!!

Edited by viking mama
  • Sad 1

On 3/4/2021 at 7:28 AM, IBatch said:

Little hooks, pushes, shoves (oh no that's roughing lol) cross-checks and holds (Babych would get 200 PIMs in holding, his go to move was one glove hand hold and most refs let it go ... why?  because if your that strong and still active with your feet and stick while the other guy is acting like a kitten in a bag with a ball of yarn trying to get away - well too bad for him lol) should be allowed.

IBatch for Bettman's job!

15 minutes ago, viking mama said:

Oh my!

Kelly Sutherland has been announced to be the ranking BCHL officials development coach & mentor!

What exactly will he be preaching & teaching there…. old-school instead of progressive philosophy & game management tactics, with a little anti-Canucks bias thrown-in for good measure?!!

Ew.  Hopefully the league brass sets some firm guidelines in place to ensure he conducts himself appropriately.  They need to protect the integrity of the league and allowing this criminal to influence young officials is incredibly dangerous.  Sutherland shouldn't even be allowed to work BCHL games.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, viking mama said:

Oh my!

Kelly Sutherland has been announced to be the ranking BCHL officials development coach & mentor!

What exactly will he be preaching & teaching there…. old-school instead of progressive philosophy & game management tactics, with a little anti-Canucks bias thrown-in for good measure?!!

KS to refs: Ok, you apply on the website here for the Swiss Bank account. Once it's opened you give your email account to the owners of the BCHL. The owner on a given night who bids the highest. Gets all the favourable calls.  The next module will be training how to make your calls look unbiased, but they are not. Keep this up and you'l be in the NHL in no time!

• Haha 1

On 7/15/2023 at 9:24 AM, viking mama said:

Oh my!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/463224442272273/permalink/822588749669172/?mibextid=S66gvF

Kelly Sutherland has been announced to be the ranking BCHL officials development coach & mentor for 2023-2024!

What exactly would he be preaching & teaching…. old-school instead of progressive philosophy & game management tactics, with a little anti-Canucks bias thrown-in for good measure?!!

And - it looks like the Vancouver Canucks are showing serious interest in purchasing the BCHL’s Chilliwack Chiefs! 

KS may have somewhere more specific to target his “anti-Canucks” rage & bias,…while developing & mentoring the BCHL’s 2023-2024 batch of officials. Just watch my old game videos, kids! 

Wait for it. We could laugh, but even the notion that there might be another KS to haunt the future prospects of this organization - ain’t funny! 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/463224442272273/permalink/817775106817203/?mibextid=S66gvF

Edited by viking mama

On 7/15/2023 at 9:24 AM, viking mama said:

Oh my!

What exactly would he be preaching & teaching…. old-school game management tactics instead of progressive philosophy, with a little anti-Canucks bias thrown-in for good measure?!!

^My real fear is this is a precursor to KS eventually becoming the NHL’s Head of Officiating & judging by his pretty “controversial” officiating record over the past decade or so,…I’m predicting that this was to be the anticipated pay-off, all along. 

^Wait & see. 

Edited by viking mama
  • Sad 1