The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Tom Wilson suspended 7 games

Rate this topic

14 hours ago, pluralsight said:

This is a slap on the wrist for a dangerous and reckless player. They should have given him the Torres treatment IMO. 

Didn’t they give him a 20 game suspension for his hit to the head of Oscar Sunqvuist? This asshole doesn’t learn. 

15 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

I don’t see it as a worse hit than the Tkachuck hit on Kassian last year that wasn’t a suspension . 

15 hours ago, Rabbit said:

7 games in a short season - a little bit too much.

He has plenty of time to prevent such action, so most of people assume he intended to do so.

I don't disagree the penalty but need consistency.

The difference is that he's a multiple time repeat offender and he isn't changing the way he plays.  I think that considering that, he didn't get enough of a suspension.  The NHL wants to get more serious about protecting people's heads and long term health, and for good reason, so they need to get more serious about protecting people's heads and long term health.  I've played contact sports I know what it's like in the heat of the moment.  Stuff happens.  It's a physical game.  So if it is a rare bit of over-enthusiasm then no it doesn't merit a long suspension but this isn't that.  Wilson is a consistently dirty player who doesn't respect his opponents at all and he has already been fined and suspended multiple times.  He just doesn't get it.  He refuses to adjust his game.  He deserves a longer suspension if not to be shown the door.  Go Canucks Go!

4 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

The only joke was Ovechkin saying the suspension was a joke.

League might be giving Ovie a call and telling him to shut up, or we will give you the Burrows treatmenrt.

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE60D0EB20100114

VANCOUVER (Reuters) - Vancouver Canucks forward Alex Burrows was fined $2,500 by the NHL on Wednesday for accusing a referee of being biased against him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“The National Hockey League will not tolerate the personal nature of the comments Mr. Burrows directed at referee Auger or the fact that he brought into question the integrity of both the official and the game,” Colin Campbell, the NHL’s senior executive vice president of hockey operations, said in the statement.
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

If you have a guy like this on your team , a Wilson , Torres, Cooke , Etc . It’s not even a bad thing for them to do this once a season to instill fear in other teams defence of what might be coming for them. I heard Chara say that in an interview once and to a degree it’s true. It’s called intimidation. It’s been part of hockey since the beginning and like it or not it will probably be around for awhile. Say whatever you want about Wilson, if he was a UFA today every team in the league would want him. 

I don’t like the bruins as much as the next person but those saying this was to hard need to go take another look at the hot. It’s only targeting the head, directly into the board, with a hit that wasn’t necessary. It’s the type of hit that is trying to injure and remove a player from the game. 

7 games I think is a lower end of what I would want for this.

I also don’t agree with lowering suspensions for shorter seasons. If it’s a 2 game suspension in an 82 game season it should be a 2 game suspension regardless. That means if you want to do something stupid in a condensed season - tough. Means that it doesn’t slide the lower one game ones to fines and keeps the players safer 

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, gurn said:

League might be giving Ovie a call and telling him to shut up, or we will give you the Burrows treatmenrt.

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE60D0EB20100114

VANCOUVER (Reuters) - Vancouver Canucks forward Alex Burrows was fined $2,500 by the NHL on Wednesday for accusing a referee of being biased against him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“The National Hockey League will not tolerate the personal nature of the comments Mr. Burrows directed at referee Auger or the fact that he brought into question the integrity of both the official and the game,” Colin Campbell, the NHL’s senior executive vice president of hockey operations, said in the statement.

Colin Campbell talking about integrity?   Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

• Cheers 2

On 3/7/2021 at 8:18 AM, gurn said:

No, he's just a different kind of dangerous, reckless player.

Someday the league will start fining and suspending Tkachuk for those not subtle slew foots.

I think the league should make a preemptive rule about intentional cuts with the skates.

8 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think the league should make a preemptive rule about intentional cuts with the skates.

I wonder if they looked at it, after Karlsson received his achillies cut.

If I'd been on the end of the smear job Melynk did on Cooke, I'd have sued that guy broke.

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

I wonder if they looked at it, after Karlsson received his achillies cut.

If I'd been on the end of the smear job Melynk did on Cooke, I'd have sued that guy broke.

Yeah it's a dangerous play. If it repeats it has to be dealt with.  Doesn't matter who his dad is.