The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Offseason changes

What changes are you hoping for this season in terms of players, coaching staff and front office? 

Let's start with the coaching staff. 

Green - Release

Over the past few years I haven't really seen the team improve (aside from the bubble anomaly) nor any individual player improve due to Green's coaching. You couldn't really make an argument for any one on the team really, Hughes, Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Demko, Hoglander essentially came in as advertised, they were expected to be good if not great. You would expect Gaudette and Virtanen to improve under Green's tutelage, however, as we've seen this season they've regressed and everyone seems to believe it's the players own doing but let me tell you something, it's not . As long as Green is behind the bench I just don't see this team competing for the cup anytime soon if at all. 

Baumgartner - Release (No explanation needed)

Brown - Release (No explanation needed)

Clark - Re-sign  (No explanation needed) 

Moving on to Benning and Co. 

Aside from the scouting department I think everyone needs to go. Year-over-year Benning and Co. have just made excuses for their failures and Benning doesn't seem to want to accept any responsibility. It's been 7 years and we aren't even close to contending for the cup. The only good thing that's come from his tenure is the drafting and one, two, maybe three trades but everything else has been terrible. It's time we move on from Benning and Co. or at the very least hire a new GM and move Benning to head the scouting department. 

Players

I've left ??? as areas needed to improve upon. Anyone not mentioned means I'd like for the Canucks to move on from. 

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Hoglander - Horvat - Podkolzin

??? - ??? - ???

Motte - ??? - ???

Gaudette

MacEwen 

Michaelis

Hawryluk

Lind 

Gadjovich

Potential targets bottom 6 

(UFA) Lowry (C)

(UFA) Coleman (LW)

(UFA) Laughton (C) 

(UFA) Goodrow (RW)

(UFA) Armia (RW)

Hughes - ???

??? - Schmidt

Juolevi - Myers

Rathbone

Chatfield

Rafferty

(RFA) Tryamkin

Potential Targets D 

(UFA) Savard

(UFA) Larsson

(UFA) Murray

Edited by Doogie
  • Vintage 1

Miller-Horvat-Podkolzin (I have dreams about this line lol)

Hoglander-Pettersson-Boeser

(Pearson)_________-__________- Lind 

Motte-Jasek-MacEwen 

Bottom Six needs some more punch to it. Obviously trades and such will happen. I think the top 6 is a lock in some combination. They could go for an Adam Lowry type for 3C but would overpay and I don't think we should go down that road anymore. Virtanen,Gaudette,Roussel,Beagle all don't just go away but I'd say 3 of them you can trade if you don't ask for much back. Only player I feel they can't trade is Roussel.

Depending if they can move out Roussel I wonder if they could get Pearson back on a 3x3  deal and put him on 3LW

Hughes-Tryamkin

Rathbone-Schmidt

Juolevi-Myers

Demko

Holbty

Edited by Outsiders
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So the plan is to sign every single UFA that will be available?  Are you not aware that there is a salary cap in the NHL?

Oh I’m sorry I didn’t know your were going to have such a difficult time figuring out they’re potential targets. Not to worry I fixed that for you, made it a little easier to understand ;) 

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

So what do you suggest we do with Roussel, Beagle, Virtanen, MacEwen and Gaudette?  They don't just go away.

I’m guessing you missed the part where I mention anyone not named we move on from i.e. trade, don’t re-sign. But I’m pretty sure I have Gaudette and MacEwen there some where. 

Edited by Doogie

15 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Motte-Jasek-MacEwen 

Bottom Six needs some more punch to it. Obviously trades and such will happen. I think the top 6 is a lock in some combination. They could go for an Adam Lowry type for 3C but would overpay and I don't think we should go down that road anymore. Virtanen,Gaudette,Roussel,Beagle all don't just go away but I'd say 3 of them you can trade if you don't ask for much back. Only player I feel they can't trade is Roussel.

Depending if they can move out Roussel I wonder if they could get Pearson back on a 3x3  deal and put him on 3LW

Hughes-Tryamkin

Rathbone-Schmidt

Juolevi-Myers

Demko

Holbty

I’m hoping Benning could figure out a way to move on from those players, it’ll give us the much needed cap space to fix the bottom 6. 

I was hoping we could trade Pearson for a 2nd or 3rd round pick seeing as though the draft has been this managements strength. But now with Pearson injured most likely past the deadline, 3x3 for third line and spot duty on the second would be great. 

Edited by Doogie

I believe every player that's not EP40, Boeser, Hughes, Demko, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Rathbone should be available for trade this deadline.

And in the offseason if we can fleece a team due to cap, I would trade any of these Players. There is some really good Young Players on TBL.

as for UFA'S

center Wennberg, Sutter, Soderburg

Forwards vesey, duclair,brassard

defence martinez. oesterle. edler.benn.,forbort

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

I believe every player that's not EP40, Boeser, Hughes, Demko, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Rathbone should be available for trade this deadline.

And in the offseason if we can fleece a team due to cap, I would trade any of these Players. There is some really good Young Players on TBL.

as for UFA'S

center Wennberg, Sutter, Soderburg

Forwards vesey, duclair,brassard

defence martinez. oesterle. edler.benn.,forbort

Please...we don't need Fartburp in the dressing room!

I'd vote for keeping Green. Totally agree regarding Benning.  He is an average GM who is better than average drafting and below average at everything else.  I like a fourth line of Motte, MacEwen and Hawryluk, I just don't know who plays center, but I want to see it happen.  Gaudette should still be a third line player, perhaps as a winger. I am really hoping Cole Lind is able to make the jump next year, so ideally we just need a third line C.  I would love for us to be able to take advantage of Tampa Bay's cap crunch and pry Cirelli off of them.  He would be an amazing 3c.  This might not be a bad year to send a lottery protected 1st to Tampa for him. 

Like you said, do anything we can to get rid of Roussel and Beagle.  

Our defense looks so bleak next year.  I have no idea who to bring in.  Doubt we could afford it, but Hamilton would be amazing and like you said maybe Larsson.  Perhaps send Meyers packing and hope we can fill in our left side from within.

Miller - Pettersson - Podkolzin

Hoglander - Horvat - Boeser

Lind - Cirelli - Gaudette

Motte - Hawryluk - MecEwen

Hughes - Schmidt

??? - Hamilton

Juolevi - Larsson

4 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Please...we don't need Fartburp in the dressing room!

Thats what hockey tape is for :sick:.

But There is no doubt of this guys determination on the Ice, and he is a beast along the boards and infront of the net and kills penalties

4 hours ago, stuman491 said:

I'd vote for keeping Green. Totally agree regarding Benning.  He is an average GM who is better than average drafting and below average at everything else.  I like a fourth line of Motte, MacEwen and Hawryluk, I just don't know who plays center, but I want to see it happen.  Gaudette should still be a third line player, perhaps as a winger. I am really hoping Cole Lind is able to make the jump next year, so ideally we just need a third line C.  I would love for us to be able to take advantage of Tampa Bay's cap crunch and pry Cirelli off of them.  He would be an amazing 3c.  This might not be a bad year to send a lottery protected 1st to Tampa for him. 

Like you said, do anything we can to get rid of Roussel and Beagle.  

Our defense looks so bleak next year.  I have no idea who to bring in.  Doubt we could afford it, but Hamilton would be amazing and like you said maybe Larsson.  Perhaps send Meyers packing and hope we can fill in our left side from within.

Miller - Pettersson - Podkolzin

Hoglander - Horvat - Boeser

Lind - Cirelli - Gaudette

Motte - Hawryluk - MecEwen

Hughes - Schmidt

??? - Hamilton

Juolevi - Larsson

its going to take more than a first to get cirelli. probably 2 1sts or podkolzin+3rd? Hoglander and a 1st?  or maybe a 1st and some weird trade that involves LE and tyler johnson with 3M salary retained on LE next year and johnson 1.5m retained in 2022/2023 and 2023/2024

14 hours ago, Doogie said:

What changes are you hoping for this season in terms of players, coaching staff and front office? 

Let's start with the coaching staff. 

Green - Release

Over the past few years I haven't really seen the team improve (aside from the bubble anomaly) nor any individual player improve due to Green's coaching. You couldn't really make an argument for any one on the team really, Hughes, Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Demko, Hoglander essentially came in as advertised, they were expected to be good if not great. You would expect Gaudette and Virtanen to improve under Green's tutelage, however, as we've seen this season they've regressed and everyone seems to believe it's the players own doing but let me tell you something, it's not . As long as Green is behind the bench I just don't see this team competing for the cup anytime soon if at all. 

Baumgartner - Release (No explanation needed)

Brown - Release (No explanation needed)

Clark - Re-sign  (No explanation needed) 

Moving on to Benning and Co. 

Aside from the scouting department I think everyone needs to go. Year-over-year Benning and Co. have just made excuses for their failures and Benning doesn't seem to want to accept any responsibility. It's been 7 years and we aren't even close to contending for the cup. The only good thing that's come from his tenure is the drafting and one, two, maybe three trades but everything else has been terrible. It's time we move on from Benning and Co. or at the very least hire a new GM and move Benning to head the scouting department. 

Players

I've left ??? as areas needed to improve upon. Anyone not mentioned means I'd like for the Canucks to move on from. 

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Hoglander - Horvat - Podkolzin

??? - ??? - ???

Motte - ??? - ???

Gaudette

MacEwen 

Michaelis

Hawryluk

Lind 

Gadjovich

Potential targets bottom 6 

(UFA) Lowry (C)

(UFA) Coleman (LW)

(UFA) Laughton (C) 

(UFA) Goodrow (RW)

(UFA) Armia (RW)

Hughes - ???

??? - Schmidt

Juolevi - Myers

Rathbone

Chatfield

Rafferty

(RFA) Tryamkin

Potential Targets D 

(UFA) Savard

(UFA) Larsson

(UFA) Murray

I would even consider getting Myers out of there.  Let him go to Seattle.  What's your thoughts on the goalkeepers?

5 hours ago, Tyndall2 said:

I would even consider getting Myers out of there.  Let him go to Seattle.  What's your thoughts on the goalkeepers?

If it means freeing up 6 million I'm all for it, he can be replaced at a much lower salary via UFA or even internally. I'm thinking the way Rathbone and Woo have been playing together in the AHL they should be given a chance on the third pairing. If that doesn't work out give them another year in the AHL but then moving forward we'd have:

Hughes - Tryamkin/UFA (I think Tryamkin's play style would definitely compliment Hughes)

Edler/UFA - Schmidt 

Juoelvi - Tryamkin/UFA

With the 6 million from Myers freed up and 6 million from Edler we have 12 million to upgrade our D. Maybe 2-3 million each goes to Edler and Tryamkin another 3-4 million to a decent UFA singing then whatever is left over to depth signings on D or forward group. However, it should be known where Tryamkin fits before signing a decent UFA; if they are going to try him with Hughes then we save even more money for our forward group by signing a third pairing Dman. 

Demko is the number one starter. As for Holtby, Seattle is going to have plenty of goalies to choose from so I doubt they take him. He stays and hopefully works out the kinks in his game with Clark, then we move him next trade deadline. Dipietro has had a tough go this year with no games and essentially a lost year of development. I would keep him in the AHL next year and bring him up when Holtby gets traded. Moving out a goalie in Holtby would probably bring us back a capable AHL starter. BUT if more cap space is needed I would try to move out Holtby at the trade deadline this year or in the offseason and sign a capable backup goalie on a 2 year contract until DiPietro is ready to take over. 

17 hours ago, Doogie said:

I’m guessing you missed the part where I mention anyone not named we move on from i.e. trade, don’t re-sign. But I’m pretty sure I have Gaudette and MacEwen there some where. 

In the case of trades, you also have to find a team that will actually be wanting that player and/or be willing to take the cap. This isn't that easy to do as most teams are already up against the cap.

You also can't just walk away from contracts that aren't expiring.

I have huge doubts we'll be able to afford the free agents you want once Pettersson, Hughes, and Demko get signed. I'd like to be wrong on that, but i don't think I am.

18 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Motte-Jasek-MacEwen 

Hughes-Tryamkin

Rathbone-Schmidt

Juolevi-Myers

Demko

Holbty

Are you kidding Pearson is  3rd line winger we can't sign him for 3 million X 3 years...GP 33 - Points 11--  16:00 mins per game on 2nd line..

We have enough bottom 6 winger and a few in Utica...We only have 24 million in cap..

Petey 7.5 X 3

Hughes  7 X 2

Demko  4 yrs X 1 year - 4.5 million  - 2 yr  - 5 million  -  3rd year  5 million -- 4th year  - 5.5 million

So 18.5 million  only 5.5 million left...

1. Boeer -- Horvaat -  ( Podkolzin - entry level contract 950,000 X 3 yrs

2. Miller -- Petey -- Hoglander

3.Motte    Gaudette 1.1 million --- Virtanen

4. MacEwen  Beagle  Lind ---   Bailey,  Jasek, Gadjovich

1. Hughes -- Hamonic 1.8

2. Scmidt - Myers

3 Juolevi  875,000--   ____   ---- Rathbone # 4 D man very soon, so much talent  .. Tryamkin, ..         

Edited by wildcam

18 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

its going to take more than a first to get cirelli. probably 2 1sts or podkolzin+3rd? Hoglander and a 1st?  or maybe a 1st and some weird trade that involves LE and tyler johnson with 3M salary retained on LE next year and johnson 1.5m retained in 2022/2023 and 2023/2024

Cirelli is one of TBLs "untouchables". They will not trade him, nor Kuch, Point, Hedman, Sergachev, Cernak or Vas.

TBL are not looking for 1st round picks because their window is now. They will spend 1st rounders to keep their core together, shed unnecessary players and contract excellent but cheap help - ideally vets nearing retirement that are willing to get paid league minimum for a chance at a Cup (guys like Eric Staal, Luke Schenn, maybe even someone like Jordie Benn all on $750k). Look for them to sweeten the deal with Seattle so that they select one of their big contract guys like Palat or Gourde. They will likely have to buy out a couple of contracts too (maybe Johnson & Rutta).