The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Blackhawks trade Madison Bowey, 2021 5th-round pick to Canucks for 2021 4th-round pick

Will be interesting to see how he plays. 2 games so far this season is not re-assuring. Also the comments about him being a two way guy that prioritizes defense. I am hoping that's not just bluster. There was a lot of hype about him once upon a time, if he can tap into even 33% of that I would consider this a massive win. We don't need a world changer, although getting one would be a treat. We just need a solid 3rd pair right handed guy that isn't a complete ghost/liability defensively.

• Cheers 1

Had a respectable season last year in Detroit imo - decent production, middling possession and goal metrics on that blueline/team, some versatility as a penalty killer (1:21/game pk - twice what he saw for pp ice time).  3 goals, 17 pts in 54 games - is not bad on quite a bad team.  Adds some depth of competition and possibly a good boost for Utica - with a year of term (got 2 years from the Hawks).  Hard to get too upset about trading down less than a round late in the draft for him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Taphouse Canuck said:

As a Rockets fan I'm always happy to see an alumni in Canucks colours. If nothing else he will bring some toughness at the back.

yeah - not a Rockets fan - but was always a fan of both Bowey and Lind - and saw lots of both of them live in the Dub.

actually they played together - and got to see a few games of the 2nd round of their 2015 Championship. 

If I'd known they'd both be Canucks in the future, I'd have taken that for sure.

a lot of NHLers out of that program.  I think both these guys still have a shot at good careers.

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

yeah - not a Rockets fan - but was always a fan of both Bowey and Lind - and saw lots of both of them live in the Dub.

actually they played together - and got to see a few games of the 2nd round of their 2015 Championship. 

If I'd known they'd both be Canucks in the future, I'd have taken that for sure.

a lot of NHLers out of that program.  I think both these guys still have a shot at good careers.

Yeah, some guys are slower developers than others

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

On 4/14/2021 at 2:37 PM, oldnews said:

Had a respectable season last year in Detroit imo - decent production, middling possession and goal metrics on that blueline/team, some versatility as a penalty killer (1:21/game pk - twice what he saw for pp ice time).  3 goals, 17 pts in 54 games - is not bad on quite a bad team.  Adds some depth of competition and possibly a good boost for Utica - with a year of term (got 2 years from the Hawks).  Hard to get too upset about trading down less than a round late in the draft for him.

when he was in Kelowna, he played much more like a rover than he did as a dman.  HOwever, he was also a man playing amongst boys and could pretty much outskate anyone in the league and was easily able to get back on d even when caught deep in the ozone.  Obviously that isn't a reality in the NHL, but I'd like to see him play his style rather than trying to fit into a box.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Have to give Benning credit for this trade. Dropping from the 4th to the 5th round and getting a guy who was decent for Detroit last year and could be a decent right handed depth guy in Van. No way anyone should complain here. Low risk, low reward on the surface but the potential reward here is worth far more than the cost to acquire him.

I would love to see him finally put it all together. He was pretty decent for Detroit last year so its not outside possibility.

• Cheers 1