The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Blackhawks trade Madison Bowey, 2021 5th-round pick to Canucks for 2021 4th-round pick

1 minute ago, Convincing John said:

I don’t like a lot of what JB does but there are a lot of things I do like.

I’m one of the few on the JB hate train that doesn’t actually mind trading picks for other teams disappointments. Especially defensemen. I mean, if we drafted a player of Bowey’s caliber in the 4th/5th round we would be over the moon. 

I watched a lot of Rockets Games live and saw a lot of Bowey. He is physical, he shoots right, and he shoots hard. he moves like a potato but that can be improved on in the proper environment. I imagine he is extremely excited about getting a chance here in van. I can’t see Seattle selecting him.

Who knows? D men are tricky, maybe things just suddenly click for him. The chances of that happening are far greater than selecting a NHL player in round 4. 

I'm more excited about Bowey than Chatfield. I don't know that Baumer is going to be the guy that cracks the code with Bowey tho. Anything we get out of him at the NHL level is a bonus. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

I’m one of the few on the JB hate train that doesn’t actually mind trading picks for other teams disappointments. Especially defensemen. I mean, if we drafted a player of Bowey’s caliber in the 4th/5th round we would be over the moon. 

I watched a lot of Rockets Games live and saw a lot of Bowey. He is physical, he shoots right, and he shoots hard. he moves like a potato but that can be improved on in the proper environment. I imagine he is extremely excited about getting a chance here in van. I can’t see Seattle selecting him.

Who knows? D men are tricky, maybe things just suddenly click for him. The chances of that happening are far greater than selecting a NHL player in round 4. 

it’s not always about getting a player that’s better than the usual 4th/5th pick, it’s about leveraging draft picks to use for trades when trying to clear cap space. We have a lot of $&!#ty contracts that we need to get rid of, and I feel like if we stocked up on draft picks, it makes it much easier to get rid of these large contracts and sign better players in free agency with the available cap space we free up. But yes, I do agree that I’d rather just have Bowey than a 4th round pick, but specifically for the canucks, we need as many picks as we can get. 

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Canuck fans before realizing that a player has been acquired to meet exposure requirements in the upcoming expansion draft: :mad::frantic::frantic::frantic::frantic::frantic::mad::picard:

Canuck fans after realizing that a player has been acquired to meet exposure requirements in the upcoming expansion draft: :emot-parrot::gocan::wub::canucks::):):):):emot-parrot::emot-parrot:

You’d think. In reality they are continuing to complain realizing that we are now most likely protecting Myers. :picard:

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, VforVirtanen said:

I will point out it is moving down a round in the most random draft in league history. With no scouting going on, one would think that some teams are going to strike gold in unexpected places. The draft order will matter less than ever this year.

Benning has a knack for hitting in the 5th round as well! :emot-parrot:

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

You’d think. In reality they are continuing to complain realizing that we are now most likely protecting Myers. :picard:

Still holing out hope Benning can poach a young D off a team that can't protect them.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

Not bad. We get a defenceman who is still young and has some potential. Maybe all he needs is a change of scenery to get it going. Welcome, Madison! 

Maybe the grass is just greener here on the West Coast?

He'll be more relaxed...

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

Just when I was about to write you off, you post this.

I appreciate the ability to see, and say,  both good and bad.

I shall read your future posts with a different tone than I was starting to hear.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

So... in summary... regardless of the pick swap (4th for 5th)... we are getting Highmore and Bowey for Gaudette with Chicago....

Not the worst deal at all... in Highmore, we are getting a hardworking 4th liner as we do need bodies to fill our roster for next season (Sutter/Edler/Hamonic/Vesey/Boyd probably not returning).... Bowey brings a lil bit of offense and size, though not as solid as Hamonic but cheaper... 

The theme this offseason is to be penny pinching in order to sign Hughes and Pettersson to bridge deals!! 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

For those complaining about waivers, players like Bowen are more valuable once they pass waivers as we can just put him on the taxi squad and have his cap essentially removed. If we pick someone on waivers. The player has to he on the active roaster and eat into our already capped cap.

Also a waiver pick up also would take up a spot from the kids that we should he playing for tue rest of the season. 

This post needs to be pinned. 

3 hours ago, Josepho said:

This is not an "alright depth pickup" or whatever.

He's been a horrible defenceman his entire career, and has been struggling to play regularly aside from one year with a horrendous Detroit team.

We are not in a position to be mortgaging any form of draft position, and this once again contradicts the plan of "patience" or whatever. 

You had me worried so I got my crack team of statistical experts to run analysis on what the value of a late draft pick is, and the answer is, not very much Pistol Pete13,  not very much at all. 

I’ll sleep a little better tonight. 

3 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

So... in summary... regardless of the pick swap (4th for 5th)... we are getting Highmore and Bowey for Gaudette with Chicago....

Not the worst deal at all... in Highmore, we are getting a hardworking 4th liner as we do need bodies to fill our roster for next season (Sutter/Edler/Hamonic/Vesey/Boyd probably not returning).... Bowey brings a lil bit of offense and size, though not as solid as Hamonic but cheaper... 

The theme this offseason is to be penny pinching in order to sign Hughes and Pettersson to bridge deals!! 

Why wouldn't Edler return? Vancouver is home to Edler. I bet he likes Vancouver more than he likes whichever town in Sweden he is from.

And Bowey is nowhere near Hamonic or else, he will have carved out an NHL career. I hope we can bring him back at similar contract, especially if Tryamkin isn't coming.

I see Bowey as a depth player since we traded Benn.

I would also guess that Vesey might stay if he builds decent chemistry with JT.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, CR7 said:

Needed for expansion draft??? These boards would have gone nuts for this deal 3 years ago...

So true, I wanted too trade Virtanen for him years back.

Ktown product, captain, size, right handed, produced well...

Didn't watch him play pro much but so curious what happened on his dev path other than that injury.

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, VforVirtanen said:

I will point out it is moving down a round in the most random draft in league history. With no scouting going on, one would think that some teams are going to strike gold in unexpected places. The draft order will matter less than ever this year.

Agree 100% with amount of games played for the CHL especially. The travel and scouting issues etc.

Draft order hasn't mattered this little ever before. It should be a fun one to look back on years after.

• Cheers 1