The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Blackhawks trade Madison Bowey, 2021 5th-round pick to Canucks for 2021 4th-round pick

5 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

It’s almost as though people on this board can’t or won’t read. We didn’t trade a 4th for Bowie, we downgraded from a 4th to a 5th. If you claim him on waivers HE HAS TO BE ON THE ROSTER!!!! 

What is the challenge to understand here. We turned the 130ish pick into a 160ish pick. In exchange we get a player that had already passed through waivers and can sit on the taxi squad or AHL while Juolevi get to play more. That alone is a win in my book. Additionally we have someone to expose in the expansion draft that we don’t care about. You can hate Myers or his contract if you want but our right handed D options are significantly worse without him. This is a meh move that actually fixes a problem. 

oh wait I forgot BeNnINg SuCkS!! That’s why...

So true

• Upvote 1

I saw Bowey play for years in junior.

Looooved him and wanted him so badly.

Not sure what happened to him but always hoped he'd put it together.

Now I'm really hoping he does because come on baby, BCs been good to you.

Also....it's not even remotely a loss.  It's picking up a potential asset and moving down a few spots.  The only move I'm meh about today

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, 250Integra said:

Why didn’t we just grab him off waivers recently? lol

Because you let some other GM take the risk of putting the guy on waivers to begin with, then if he clears you trade for him on the cheap because now you can move him back and forth between the taxi (or minors) for the next 30 days without having to place him on waivers yourself.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

We could’ve got him for free. Lol

26 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

It’s almost as though people on this board can’t or won’t read. We didn’t trade a 4th for Bowie, we downgraded from a 4th to a 5th. If you claim him on waivers HE HAS TO BE ON THE ROSTER!!!! 

What is the challenge to understand here. We turned the 130ish pick into a 160ish pick. In exchange we get a player that had already passed through waivers and can sit on the taxi squad or AHL while Juolevi get to play more. That alone is a win in my book. Additionally we have someone to expose in the expansion draft that we don’t care about. You can hate Myers or his contract if you want but our right handed D options are significantly worse without him. This is a meh move that actually fixes a problem. 

oh wait I forgot BeNnINg SuCkS!! That’s why...

2 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

For those complaining about waivers, players like Bowen are more valuable once they pass waivers as we can just put him on the taxi squad and have his cap essentially removed. If we pick someone on waivers. The player has to he on the active roaster and eat into our already capped cap.

Also a waiver pick up also would take up a spot from the kids that we should he playing for tue rest of the season. 

Yeah but complaints, anger. 

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I saw Bowey play for years in junior.

Looooved him and wanted him so badly.

Not sure what happened to him but always hoped he'd put it together.

Now I'm really hoping he does because come on baby, BCs been good to you.

Also....it's not even remotely a loss.  It's picking up a potential asset and moving down a few spots.  The only move I'm meh about today

I watched him in Kelowna  bunch and saw he had all the tools.  Hope he puts it together.   One more rocket for the defence, Edler,  Myers, Bowie. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Azzy said:

So...

Gaudette, Benn and a 4th for Bowey, Highmore, a 5th and a 6th?

Feel like we downgraded at both positions then traded down from the 4th round for two later picks. Makes zero sense to me.

Bowey  played 53 games last year.  Should cover a required body to be exposed for ED.  Cost > Downgrade a 4th to a 5th.  

Means we can protect both Meyer & Schmidt, one of whom otherwise would be the only body who meets requirements, And presumably Juolevi. Happy with this part, for this reason.

Gaudette was pure ''we gave up!''  Sad, because we don't have a young C knocking on the door. I am not one who believes Jasek & Lind are NHL ready. 

Edited by Canuck Surfer

2 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Funny about adding Bowey to protect Myers is that everyone’s biases get confirmed.  

I like Myers and see adding a middle pairing RHD as onerous so it confirms that he has value and that Seattle has a decent chance of snapping him up if exposed. 

OTOH people who think management are dumb can just chalk this up to dumb management doubling down on a dumb bet in the first place.

Funnnnny stuff. 

Will Ferrell Lol GIF

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Pick swap is basically meaningless, once you get into the success percentages on three digit numbered picks.

So, for basically the cost of a contract slot, we add a guy who can meet exposure requirements, and gain some flexibility on our protected list (don’t have to expose Myers).

And, I suppose we add a RH shot depth Dman with some “last chance” upside, as a reclamation project, on a cheap contract through next season.

But wow, Bowey’s fancy stats are really something. :sick:

I don’t like a lot of what JB does but there are a lot of things I do like.

I’m one of the few on the JB hate train that doesn’t actually mind trading picks for other teams disappointments. Especially defensemen. I mean, if we drafted a player of Bowey’s caliber in the 4th/5th round we would be over the moon. 

I watched a lot of Rockets Games live and saw a lot of Bowey. He is physical, he shoots right, and he shoots hard. he moves like a potato but that can be improved on in the proper environment. I imagine he is extremely excited about getting a chance here in van. I can’t see Seattle selecting him.

Who knows? D men are tricky, maybe things just suddenly click for him. The chances of that happening are far greater than selecting a NHL player in round 4. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1