The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Jets re-sign Adam Lowry

4 hours ago, spook007 said:

Hilarious.... its not Canucks management job to sign players for other teams... 

...make the Canucks management look really bad..... hahahaha 

It's a ridiculous narrative. Iafallo and Lowry got more term than Pearson. So these GMs are mad at the dollar, and because of that also threw in more term for their players than we got in Pearson? Yeah okay. This is just some BS Benning haters are drumming up to add more credence to their blind rage. And I say this as someone that isn't really happy with management anymore.

• Cheers 4

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Last time I checked Demko was a member of the team

Never said he wasn't. And he played great, which is why they even got to game 7. The rest of the team not so good though. They made it to game 7 because of Demko. Thats not even debatable to any rational fan.

Goalies need to be able to steal you games to be successful for sure. But for too long people ignore it when stand on your head goaltending masks serious issues with the rest of the team and use it to pretend Bdnning has built an actual competitive team top to bottom. He hasn't. There are still huge holes, same as every other year of his tenure.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

There was?  Any player with any real value had a no movement clause, tight no trade clause or deep no trade list.

At least then players with value had ntc as opposed to now when Benning has signed a bunch of players with little value to contracts with ntc attached though.

Benning specifically chose not to even try to trade most of those players though. He even said so himself most of the time. Because he needed them in case they made the playoffs. Of course, most Benning years the team has been bottom of the league but hey he had hope his latest foundational player signing would put them over the top. 

10 minutes ago, gurn said:

goalposts.jpg.f592cfeb90ec1faf63bcd20e138c218f.jpg

Not at all actually. Its just that you have no answer for that truth.

Any number of players with value coukd have been traded but werent. The funniest thing is that either my explanation is correct (and it shows Benning is a moron who had no idea how competitive his team actually was) or yours is correct (and it shows Benning is too inept to do what other GM's regularly do, work around a ntc to trade a player).

The common denominator? Benning sucks at one of the main parts of his job.

• Vintage 1

37 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

We have reached the territory now that not one Canucks fan should be able to, with a straight face anyway, mock the length and ineptitude of Edmonton's "rebuild". Ours has been worse in many ways.

Buffalo we can still openly mock though. I mean, cmon. 

Uhh whiffing on multiple 1OAs vs our rebuild where we haven’t picked higher than 5th.  Pretty important distinction. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

47 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Uhh whiffing on multiple 1OAs vs our rebuild where we haven’t picked higher than 5th.  Pretty important distinction. 

Ummm tanking long enough to get McDavid and Draisaitl more than makes up for that though.

Benning has drafted pretty well overall. Still a few big misses on his top picks though to be fair.

Edited by wallstreetamigo

9 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

There were lots of opportunities to trade players of value though. Benning specifically chose not to do what needed to be done.

You make an interesting point. Under Gillis, apparently all the ntc were an anchor to action by Benning. But somehow the same people currently defend Benning giving out ntc, term, dollars to support players which we already saw cost us a top line winger last offseason. The result of those contracts being what? Oh ya, those guys are now untradeable.

Full term, full NTC and NMC =\= partial/modified and not full term NTC.

Edited by aGENT

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Ummm tanking long enough to get McDavid and Draisaitl more than makes up for that though.

Benning has drafted pretty well overall. Still a few big misses on his top picks though to be fair.

There’s points to be made on both sides, for sure... but yeah landing Draisaitl and McDavid was finally the ticket.  

I just thought the point of making fun of the Oilers was that they kept squandering 1OAs.  Those are usually franchise cornerstones.  (Like McDavid.) 

34 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

There’s points to be made on both sides, for sure... but yeah landing Draisaitl and McDavid was finally the ticket.  

I just thought the point of making fun of the Oilers was that they kept squandering 1OAs.  Those are usually franchise cornerstones.  (Like McDavid.) 

Oh i am in no way denying the epic level bed $&!#ting by them lol

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Full term, full NTC and NMC =\= partial/modified and not full them NTC.

Players with all of them are traded all the time though, particularly back then.

What makes Bennings ntc worse is that:

1. They are combined with premium dollars AND term

And

2. The players who he has given them to have limited trade value to begin with thanks to point 1 above, declining play, and completely different financial dynamics in the nhl now.

6 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Players with all of them are traded all the time though, particularly back then.

They're not traded all the time.

What makes Bennings ntc worse is that:

1. They are combined with premium dollars AND term

Nope.

And

2. The players who he has given them to have limited trade value to begin with thanks to point 1 above, declining play, and completely different financial dynamics in the nhl now.

Strike three.

48 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Like Toronto, they've also been at it FAR longer than us and really haven't accomplished anything of note in that time.

• Cheers 3

On 4/16/2021 at 7:06 PM, Toyotasfan said:

When you compare Lowry to what we pay for the likes of Beagle and Sutter contracts this is an absolute bargain. 

Personally, I would like to see new blood in the line up rather than giving retreads like Pearson and Sutter the ice time, signing them will just be the same results of what we had seen these past few seasons (in Sutters case - taking a decent cap hit while being a non factor due to injury but good chance JB will sign him to a decent cap with term for mentoring reasons).  Ofcourse, the biggest x factor is the staff cause usage and deployment are up to them; perhaps with a different staff Pearson can get back to his usual productivity level (?).

Ditto, Jets definitely got a deal with a player that plays an important role for there team.  

Edited by ShawnAntoski

6 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Personally, I would like to see new blood in the line up rather than giving retreads like Pearson and Sutter the ice time, signing them will just be the same results of what we had seen these past few seasons (in Sutters case - taking a decent cap hit while being a non factor due to injury but good chance JB will sign him to a decent cap with term for mentoring reasons).  Ofcourse, the biggest x factor is the staff cause usage and deployment are up to them; perhaps with a different staff Pearson can get back to his usual productivity level (?).

Ditto, Jets definitely got a deal with a player that plays an important role for there team.  

That new blood was always going to be the likes of Podkolzin, Hoglander, Lind etc and will be the catalyst for any change in results.

I'm all for upgrading Sutter should there be an opportunity (likely via trade). But he, like Pearson, isn't the 'problem' and is a very capable bottom 6 C, and likely our best and cheapest option there for a couple more years barring that trade materializing.

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

That new blood was always going to be the likes of Podkolzin, Hoglander, Lind etc and will be the catalyst for any change in results.

I'm all for upgrading Sutter should there be an opportunity (likely via trade). But he, like Pearson, isn't the 'problem' and is a very capable bottom 6 C, and likely our best and cheapest option there for a couple more years barring that trade materializing.

Good points, we'll just have to wait & see how the roster is for next season and who the coach is.   

For this season, it is the rookies that keeps me engage and not the support/mentoring type players.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

On 4/16/2021 at 2:20 PM, rekker said:

Nice signing for the Peg. I think they are turning the corner on their season. I have been watching them closely and see them as the best bet to beat the Leafs. Leafs have had their number but the last game the Jets looked great and looked to gain some confidence against the Leafs. Go Jets. One of the few other teams I can cheer. Classy fans that share the Canadian "no cup" grief.

Yup, I'm really glad that they picked up Benn as well.  I can really get behind Winnipeg now, they're my team in the West and I guess I want the Caps to win another one for Ovechkin in the East (also can't stand the Bolts and Bruins).  

On 4/18/2021 at 3:44 PM, ShawnAntoski said:

Good points, we'll just have to wait & see how the roster is for next season and who the coach is.   

For this season, it is the rookies that keeps me engage and not the support/mentoring type players.

Me too brotha, I'm actually really excited to see more of Chatfield, Juolevi, Vesey, Highmore and Bowey.  I hope that Rafferty gets another couple of games in so that we can close the book on him with some sort of confidence.  He played only one game and looked really bad....  same with Brisebois last night.  

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Me too brotha, I'm actually really excited to see more of Chatfield, Juolevi, Vesey, Highmore and Bowey.  I hope that Rafferty gets another couple of games in so that we can close the book on him with some sort of confidence.  He played only one game and looked really bad....  same with Brisebois last night.  

Raff and Breezy seems to be trying too hard knowing that there ice times are not guaranteed by the staff - so they seems anxious and nervous at the same time...