The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

4 games against Ott not as easy as it might look

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Appolo this thread needs you!  Positivity.   Need the moon and the flags...maybe put Pearson's head on it next just for the extra rub lol.   Who's going to be the hero against OTT?   Could be anyone really, glad the teams got days off inbetween, and glad JB got a long lineup of serviceable D's and forwards available that are close.   If he didn't we'd have no chance of catching MTL.   What a difference a solid pool with guys on a slow cook in their development makes.   Nothing like what we had when JB took over (heck the top five are better then a handful of the roster players we had during the WD years).     Yes this team has a solid chance now.   10-5 our last 15 games and 2-0 since we came back. Tale of two seasons has now become tale of three ... working for four which of course is the playoffs.   Hope TO stays on top but loses the next two against us.   As of now they've lost 4 in a row against us, and one of their wins we badly outplayed them lol.    Would eventually die a happy man with lots of fond memories of this season if we made the playoffs and got the honour to bounce TO in the first round ... can just see their fans faces already Baby Reaction GIF

Can’t wait for ugly-sister Ottawa to start claiming those honours after this season. 

• Vintage 1

11 hours ago, CoquitlamDave said:

This is possibly the starting of something special.  We did well after the last break / forced hiatus.  There is a chance whatever made that has rejuvenated itself.  Our players on average are young and that tends to lead to more emotions (good and bad).   If not, hope they play well and stay healthy!  If so, I'll enjoy watching like always.  

The sens will be tougher then earlier this season.  Agreed.  They also have a lot to play for and to prove.   Really the calgary games and montreal games cary WAY more weight.  But this would be so epic.  I also beleive your predictions. 

One advantage for the 1 month layoff is that Canucks are fresher physically, meaning they have rested any lingering injuries and top players like Boeser, Horvat and Miller are rested. Covid might have affected them a bit but since they are young, they can recover quickly from it and there doesnt seem to be any long haulers on the team.The other teams are at a disadvantage due to being physically tired from condensed schedule. Look at the injuries in Montreal and how much other players in that team need to play to pick up the slack. Canucks are primed to take advantage of the tired teams, plus we have some younger players inserted into our roster to give us a boost. 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

On 4/20/2021 at 9:54 PM, shayster007 said:

Our boys were just decimated by the plague, all of these games are anything but easy. I'm extremely proud of the team right now.

If they were decimated by the plague half of them would be dead, Covid isn't the plague (sorry just seen lots of people saying this and it's not a fair comparison) 

• Cheers 1

On 4/20/2021 at 9:54 PM, shayster007 said:

Our boys were just decimated by the plague, all of these games are anything but easy. I'm extremely proud of the team right now.

But that being said proud of them too, still not easy to come back after being sick like that 

On 4/21/2021 at 10:47 AM, 189lb enforcers? said:

Can’t wait for ugly-sister Ottawa to start claiming those honours after this season. 

Me too.   Not as fun since Sundin/Aflie days the battle of Ontario has gone into low simmer.   OTT has set themselves up to be the golden standard on how to rebuild quickly at the right time in a teams cycle.    For sure they made mistakes on the way (Duchene), but even not having Byram (which for sure stings) won't slow them down much.   Prime example of why you don't give out  NMC like candy. 

Edit:  As an aside OTT now has the best group of 21 and unders in the league...first time for them.   Last year they were third, the year before 6th the year before 17th.    That's a quick rebuild right there.   They also followed their big brother TO's route.    But didn't flounder for a decade before arriving there.   NYR screwed theirs up by signing Panarin and trading for OTTs Zibanejad.   There are many ways to to it, but cutting corners isn't wise.   It's entirely possible because OTT is only two years behind our cycle, that we could end up as Canada's two top teams in 4-5 years. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Thanks 1

On 4/21/2021 at 1:06 PM, DefCon1 said:

One advantage for the 1 month layoff is that Canucks are fresher physically, meaning they have rested any lingering injuries and top players like Boeser, Horvat and Miller are rested. Covid might have affected them a bit but since they are young, they can recover quickly from it and there doesnt seem to be any long haulers on the team.The other teams are at a disadvantage due to being physically tired from condensed schedule. Look at the injuries in Montreal and how much other players in that team need to play to pick up the slack. Canucks are primed to take advantage of the tired teams, plus we have some younger players inserted into our roster to give us a boost. 

The younger players is a little bit of a wild card but yes i agree.  Plus both TO and WNP have such a lead that playing their back-ups is almost a certainty...well not with TO if Andersson is ready by then because now they will want another go.   EDM games are must wins.   Same with OTT just to catch up.   For sure there are still a few paths to the playoffs.   And the best part about it is if we do get in, and TO is our first opponent....we can play spoilers this year.    Would drive the media crazy same with millions of fans lol. 

1 hour ago, cdgraham said:

If they were decimated by the plague half of them would be dead, Covid isn't the plague (sorry just seen lots of people saying this and it's not a fair comparison) 

I understand the differences between a pleague and a pandemic by a litteral meaning. But I'll just have to disagree because I meant what I said.

Edited by shayster007

28 minutes ago, IBatch said:

The younger players is a little bit of a wild card but yes i agree.  Plus both TO and WNP have such a lead that playing their back-ups is almost a certainty...well not with TO if Andersson is ready by then because now they will want another go.   EDM games are must wins.   Same with OTT just to catch up.   For sure there are still a few paths to the playoffs.   And the best part about it is if we do get in, and TO is our first opponent....we can play spoilers this year.    Would drive the media crazy same with millions of fans lol. 

Would love it to be us to bounce the leafs in round one. I think Steve Dangle would explode 

13 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

I understand the differences between a pleague and a pandemic by a litteral meaning. But I'll just have to disagree because I meant what I said.

Well fair enough ya you should be proud I am too. I just don't think we should reference something that killed about 50% of people in the cities it infected to covid as it promotes fear mongering ::D

Anyways!

2 minutes ago, cdgraham said:

Well fair enough ya you should be proud I am too. I just don't think we should reference something that killed about 50% of people in the cities it infected to covid as it promotes fear mongering ::D

Anyways!

Covid is in the top 10 of deadliest disease in the history of man kind. Is has killed 3 million people, roughly the population of Vancouver Island, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan combined. 141 million people have contracted it, and it's essentially shut down the world and changed the way we live our lives.

Nothing I have said is fear mongering. If anyone reads my post and their interpretation is such, they simply were not taking this as seriously as they should be.

6 minutes ago, cdgraham said:

Anyways!

Well the plague is still out there in the USA mainly bubonic and around 17 cases a year 

image.jpeg.e42f80d3786c9d3379c358267288a404.jpeg

20 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

Well the plague is still out there in the USA mainly bubonic and around 17 cases a year 

image.jpeg.e42f80d3786c9d3379c358267288a404.jpeg

Roughly 600 cases world wide a year too. The person replying to me seemed to only be referring to one peticular pleague, likely Europe's black death judging in their 50% quote. Personally it's a weird direct comparison since it happened in around 1350 and the treated it by rubbing onions, herbs and snakes on the skin. 

Litterally, covid is not the plague. By its litteral definition plague means it's caused by a certain bacterial infection, like the 600 cases we see a year. Figuratively, a plague referes to a disease with a high mortality rate, and even extends to a "wide spread calamity or evil". Personally both these descriptions seem like a very fair way to describe what covid is doing to the world right now.

37 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Hope this puts things in perspective................

MISC

Visualizing the History of Pandemics

e330b61c32a325ed5e451f2b2f393254?s=46&d=

Published

1 year ago 

on

March 14, 2020

By

Nicholas LePan  

History of Pandemics 16 March 2021 Update

Not entirely sure what context "putting this in perspective" you mean by. But I interpret this infographic as a pandemic that even with all the advancements of modern medicine is still crippling the world and killing millions and millions of people. So I entirely agree that this shows how incredibly dangerous and serious covid is.

3 hours ago, shayster007 said:

Covid is in the top 10 of deadliest disease in the history of man kind. Is has killed 3 million people, roughly the population of Vancouver Island, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan combined. 141 million people have contracted it, and it's essentially shut down the world and changed the way we live our lives.

Nothing I have said is fear mongering. If anyone reads my post and their interpretation is such, they simply were not taking this as seriously as they should be.

And the black death killed around 75 million in a time with less travel. (Understatement) I stand by what I said. If anyone is foolish enough to compare it to the plague, which literally killed 40% of Europe alone, they are absolutely fear mongering and I'm sick of it. Absolutely no one should be spreading "misinformation" by even remotely claiming they are in any way similar or the scope is comparable whatsoever. You are historically & factually 100% wrong. I'm not saying it isn't serious, but to compare the two is ridiculous. The only thing they have in common is the word "pandemic" 

Edited by cdgraham

1 minute ago, cdgraham said:

Ya I know, but there is a vaccine for it and we can treat it with antibiotics 

There is no vaccine for plague at all. some which have been found to have some impact on pneumonic plague is completely useless against bubonic which is the most common form in the USA

• Bubonic plague is fatal in about 50-70% of untreated cases, but perhaps 10-15% when treated.
  • Septicaemic plague is almost 100% fatal, and perhaps 40% with treatment.
  • Pneumonic plague is 100% fatal, regardless of treatment.

Its not something to be sniffed at and it can pass directly between humans in the pneumonic form as well rather than just from cats or fleas or squirrels etc to humans.

a major outbreak in Madagascar was concerning because it had become resistant to antibiotics.