The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Ottawa Senators | April 22, 7 p.m. | SNP, RDS2

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 hour ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

I wonder why the Coaching staff plays him over 20 minutes a game if he is so slow and such a liability defensively as you claim?

Im wondering the same thing. I mean can we agree that our defense has been the weakest part of the team all year? He takes bad penalties imo and doesn’t deserve the ice team he gets. The coaches are going by what he used to be like while it being quite obvious how much he has regressed this season. 

• Haha 2
  • RoughGame 2

I thought it was a pretty tight game. Special teams was the difference. 

We did kind of looked gassed as the game went on. 

Having Edler back will allow Schmidt to play with him and Myers to play with OJ. Probably balance out the ice times more so for the D. Won’t help us out offensively though. 

8 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Having Edler back will allow Schmidt to play with him and Myers to play with OJ. Probably balance out the ice times more so for the D. Won’t help us out offensively though. 

In a defensive battle, I like our chances in any goaltending duel vs ANY team.  Granted, can’t expect Demko to stop all the shots, hence having our blueline play well (with Edler being in the lineup for the reasons you just gave) means he doesn’t face as many grade A chances.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Frozen Water Walker said:

Reading all the PGT, lots of support but ALOT of bashing.

And in it all very little about Jake V, who had 3 very good hits last night 2 of them on Chabot one where he knocked him down, that's not easy!

GCG 

5 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

TBH, I thought the Covid "lag" kind of kicked in yesterday. The team looked tired and at times, disinterested. Lot's of lazy, low percentage pass attempts, rather than the drive they showed against the Leafs.

I know it's not popular to praise Virtanen, but I thought he was the most engaged forward last night. (I wish he'd play with that physical edge every night) Hamonic looked the most engaged defender and that's even without stepping up to fight Tkachuk....

Ahem.....B)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Devron44 said:

People really shouldn’t be bashing the team right now. Ottawa played a great game last night. They deserve some credit, there was little room to move in the O-zone.

The adrenaline is probably gone now but their spirit and desire to win still seems to be there. 
Lets face it the refs took a lot of momentum we had going from the Leafs games in that first period. They seemed to have evened it out as the game went on but it was tough climbing back up the hill and Ottawa played great defensively. 

Imagine if we split the Leafs games and won last night I think they spirits would be pretty high. 

Hope we show the Sens who’s boss tomorrow 

For me, the turning point was when Murray somehow managed to snag that deflection that looked like it was headed for the top corner. It's exactly the kind of puck that was going in for the Sens.

Sometimes the hockey Gods just aren't smiling on you....

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

For me, the turning point was when Murray somehow managed to snag that deflection that looked like it was headed for the top corner. It's exactly the kind of puck that was going in for the Sens.

Sometimes the hockey Gods just aren't smiling on you....

True enough. I think one goal would have been enough to turn things around. That’s how it goes sometimes 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

True enough. I think one goal would have been enough to turn things around. That’s how it goes sometimes 

Yep. And the longer it goes, the more it gets into your head and instead of taking shots from areas you would normally, you try low percentage passes....

....and on it goes....

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yep. And the longer it goes, the more it gets into your head and instead of taking shots from areas you would normally, you try low percentage passes....

....and on it goes....

Kind of feels like what Buffalo is going through... Except some Canucks fans will pretend that having a losing mentality is no big deal...

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

Kind of feels like what Buffalo is going through... Except some Canucks fans will pretend that having a losing mentality is no big deal...

This is true, but what I was referring to was the Canucks inability to score last night.

Murray was really good, but the longer that game went without a Canucks goal, the more they started squezing the stick. Those things start to snowball.

This is why I mentioned that one save Murray made. (which I think was his best in the game) Sometimes a save like that can be the difference in a game. If it goes in, the team that scored has energy and momentum.....but if the goalie makes a great save (like Murray did) you start to wonder if you're ever going to get one past him.

It was frustrating, but I don't really see this carrying over to the next game. I think the 'Nucks will be fine, especially if they can score an early goal....

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Im wondering the same thing. I mean can we agree that our defense has been the weakest part of the team all year? He takes bad penalties imo and doesn’t deserve the ice team he gets. The coaches are going by what he used to be like while it being quite obvious how much he has regressed this season. 

okay so we take out edler, whos replacing him? Chatfield, Rathebone, sautner, bowey?

• Cheers 1

• -SN- locked this topic