The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Power play biggest need to correct next yr!

Rate this topic

Harold27k

Newell Browns special teams are anything but, while clearly a healthy Elias would improve the pp,it was struggling with him dating back to last yr when the score was 0 to 0 against the Golden Knights when Reeves took a cheap shot on Mott and we couldn't score 5on 3 and they went on to score 1st late.

Bo can not seem to win the draw enough and we lose possesion and down the ice immideatly it goes along with 20seconds and its dis jointing. They should try Miller to take the draw and put Nils on 1st unit instead of Tanner for more speed and creativity.  And this Rathbone lid looks like he may be another Hughes a dandy .

But come Seattle time to pick hope they do not take Myers think he has been pretty good and consistent this yr, but Schmidt I can see why Vegas let him go ,he is not that good.

Graovic looks like he deserves a shot next yr with goals in back to back games would be an upgrade in 4th line to Roussel and Beagle,lol always got to throw down on that

Props to the effort tonight the boys worked hard but clearly Mikaelis does not have anything to offer and they can not go with Highmore and Beagle next yr they are clowns

This seasons' playoff style format has bred alot of familiarity with the teams and a coaching change hopefully is what the new team president will do as a first order of business and go from there.   Preferably, a team president that can work with JB and do a better job of communicating internally and publicly to the fans.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I agree on the Schmidt comments.  Not that good!  We need to stop taking other teams' castoffs and ask ourselves, why aren't they resigning him?  

We end up with guys on big and too lengthy contracts with no trade clauses.  Let's go with the youth and see what happens.  Happy golfing everyone!

• Thanks 1

Props to the OP for not mentioning the drop pass. That’s usually my “I stopped reading” cue, when it come critiques of the power play.

I agree that our power play tends to be too predictable moving up ice, and too static, once inside the zone. And these weakness are only exacerbated this season, with a schedule playing only the Canadian teams, allowing our opponents to do much more detailed game planning and prescouting, to neutralize the power play.

Pettersson being out is also a huge loss, as he’s one of our best puck carriers for moving up ice and gaining entries, and one of our more elusive and creative players, once inside the offensive zone. He’s obviously missed, especially when it comes to PP effectiveness.

But, as much as he’d help right now, I agree that we need more improvements to our PP (both in terms of coaching and the talent on the ice), than will be provided just by getting Petey back (although he’d make a big difference—a healthy Pettersson, when on his game, can hide a lot of weaknesses).

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, Tyndall2 said:

I agree on the Schmidt comments.  Not that good!  We need to stop taking other teams' castoffs and ask ourselves, why aren't they resigning him?  

We end up with guys on big and too lengthy contracts with no trade clauses.  Let's go with the youth and see what happens.  Happy golfing everyone!

Vegas re-signed Schmidt in the summer of 2019 to a 6 year $35,700,000 contract...

1 hour ago, Tyndall2 said:

12 hours ago, Harold27k said:

Newell Browns special teams are anything but, while clearly a healthy Elias would improve the pp,it was struggling with him dating back to last yr when the score was 0 to 0 against the Golden Knights when Reeves took a cheap shot on Mott and we couldn't score 5on 3 and they went on to score 1st late.

Bo can not seem to win the draw enough and we lose possesion and down the ice immideatly it goes along with 20seconds and its dis jointing. They should try Miller to take the draw and put Nils on 1st unit instead of Tanner for more speed and creativity.  And this Rathbone lid looks like he may be another Hughes a dandy .

But come Seattle time to pick hope they do not take Myers think he has been pretty good and consistent this yr, but Schmidt I can see why Vegas let him go ,he is not that good.

Graovic looks like he deserves a shot next yr with goals in back to back games would be an upgrade in 4th line to Roussel and Beagle,lol always got to throw down on that

Props to the effort tonight the boys worked hard but clearly Mikaelis does not have anything to offer and they can not go with Highmore and Beagle next yr they are clowns

Schmidt was also a top four defenseman for LV... I really question our defensive coaches, if not Green. We are quite actually a tirefire in the defensive side. There is no way Schmidt is that bad.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Schmidt was also a top four defenseman for LV... I really question our defensive coaches, if not Green. We are quite actually a tirefire in the defensive side. There is no way Schmidt is that bad.

Yeah, lots of example of players when giving the right opportunity will tend to thrive; imo, a lot of our low minute players are being forced to play a role that they’re not keen on playing, for example: AG in Chicago is getting a real shot and seems to be producing a lot better. 

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

He didn’t have to drag Edler around the ice in LV.  

I can’t believe how slow Edler looks out there. 

5 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

He didn’t have to drag Edler around the ice in LV.  

I can’t believe how slow Edler looks out there. 

Yeah; good chance he gets signed for the very important nostalgic reasons.  Preferably, I hope the team moves on and gives his minutes to someone else that will be a legit part of the team for the foreseeable future.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

Including the powerplay, this team is terrible at sustained pressure and zone time. Only on rare occasions do the Canucks keep other teams buried in their zones. 

This team really needs the Sedins to come in and teach passing, Bure to come teach skating, and Sami Salo to teach defense. And then somehow need to steal Malhotra back to get those faceoffs in order.

In the meantime our special teams need a lot of work.  Not just the powerplay,  the pk set up is pretty weak, they pretty much allow teams to come in the zone and set up, before they start defending.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, DS4quality said:

Including the powerplay, this team is terrible at sustained pressure and zone time. Only on rare occasions do the Canucks keep other teams buried in their zones. 

This team really needs the Sedins to come in and teach passing, Bure to come teach skating, and Sami Salo to teach defense. And then somehow need to steal Malhotra back to get those faceoffs in order.

In the meantime our special teams need a lot of work.  Not just the powerplay,  the pk set up is pretty weak, they pretty much allow teams to come in the zone and set up, before they start defending.

Yeah, even in even strength: when the d just collapses back instead of activating at the blue line to engage - cutting edge coaching.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah, even in strength when the d just collapses back instead of activating at the blue line to engage - cutting edge coaching.

The biggest issue I have is they never use the glass, they throw the puck through the middle of the ice in high danger areas instead, which result in terrible give aways. Is this an actual strategy?

• Cheers 1

I thought Bo was good on face-offs. The Canucks had trouble breaking out. So they started using the drop pass or back pass and they became very predictable to play against. I never liked that play as the game is too fast and should always move forward. The puck should never go backwards or be sitting waiting to be moved

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

The biggest issue I have is they never use the glass, they throw the puck through the middle of the ice in high danger areas instead, which result in terrible give aways. Is this an actual strategy?

Ditto, for awhile it seems to indicate that it is a strategy but other teams seems to had recognized it and the staff are still figuring it out (?).  

1 hour ago, Tyndall2 said:

Schmidt is a really good d men and the only reason he was jetted from Vegas was that he is the only contract that they can offload in one swoop to get Pietro under the cap as no one is touching Fleury without some sort of retention or over-payment.

That said, he does not look to be a good fit here so we should definitely explore trading him for some younger or equivalent asset on D that may fit better with this group.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Schmidt is a really good d men and the only reason he was jetted from Vegas was that he is the only contract that they can offload in one swoop to get Pietro under the cap as no one is touching Fleury without some sort of retention or over-payment.

That said, he does not look to be a good fit here so we should definitely explore trading him for some younger or equivalent asset on D that may fit better with this group.

He's also been playing his offside with Edler this season.  Part of the problem is we have a bevy of LHD , but no RHD except Woo and Rafferty who now seems like a missed opportunity.