The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jim Benning to return for next season

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

9 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Long term Edler is gone. Tanev as the greybeard on D to give Hughes a fighting chance for a couple of years would not have been the worst outcome imo.

Hamonic is an equally good option and cheaper than Tanev too. 

• Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I dont think Tanev would have expected the Calgary contract numbers to stay in Van. 

The Toffoli trade, once it happened, you have to keep him to make it worth it.

I didnt think the team was near ready to go for it with Toffoli for one playoff. I probably would not have made that trade tbh if the objective was one squeak into the playoffs. As a guy to play for a few years as the team continues to improve? Sure, why not.

Not sure about Tanev. I mean Calgary isn’t that far away.

And yes I agree about the Toffoli trade. I thought at the time it was too early to making that kind of trade. I did then become excited about as it was hard not to get excited about playoffs again. That’s the problem with a pressure cooker market. It ain’t the easiest thing to go full rebuild. Things could have been done to keep Toffoli but that would have involved spending money. We are actually better off for it cap wise this summer as we don’t have a buyout on that cap spreadsheet for that deal to happen. We instead choose Jake frickin Virtanen.

• Cheers 1

I dont know of anyone who is complaining about him spending to the cap. Its what he chooses to spend cap on. 

If you arent going to prioritize keeping Toffoli especially at a reasonable contract, dont trade for him.

If you dont have the money to sign guys like Markstrom or Tanev or dont see them as longer term pieces on your team, trade them and use those returning assets to get players that you do want longer term.

Its really not rocket science. 

I see your point with toffoli. Its definitely unfortunate but i think the covid shutting down the season and the cap flat played a big part in not re-signing him.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

I guess we haven't signed enough bad contracts, made enough terrible moves, or lost enough games yet.

Oh well, another season of excuses from Benning's supporters should be funny.  Who knows what they'll blame next.  Maybe we'll have to account for the inaugural season of the Seattle Kraken, or the 2022 Olympics, or the 118th Congress election as part of the reasons we don't make playoffs.

But while I ponder the infinite amount of excuses, I do know one thing for certain: The players won't put up with this garbage for much longer.  You can only be the embarrassment of the NHL for so long before the trade requests come in, the "passion for hockey" fades, et cetera, et cetera.  There might be a still be sect of fans who think everything is fine and Jim Benning is the man for the job, but everybody outside of that knows this can get worse.  We are seeing things get worse each and every day.  

Hope this helps.

Hope what helps?

Just now, Bertuzzipunch said:

I see your point with toffoli. Its definitely unfortunate but i think the covid shutting down the season and the cap flat played a big part in not re-signing him.

Again, as I have said, the flat cap would have been a non issue if:

1. The Canucks did not operate annually relying on an expected cap increase

2. Benning did not waste so much cap space on longer term deals, and

3. If any of those bad contracts could actually have been moved.

It wasnt covid, it was best case scenario cap planning impacted by a worst case scenario.

Smart teams operate as if there is no cap increase coming or modest estimates. Its just the way planning is done by most teams. The Canucks are not one of those teams though unfortunately.

I’m personally torn about this news. 

JB did some good things and bad. He is a wizard at drafting but terrible at free agent pick ups. His trades are about equal, some good, some not so good.

What gets me is that during his tenure the Canucks have had too many losing seasons. Was this a rebuild on the fly?

I would have probably cut him loose just for the fact of too many losing seasons during his tenure.

In the end it’s up to the owner. Not us.

Edited by grandmaster

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Hamonic is an equally good option and cheaper than Tanev too. 

Yeah once Hamonic found his groove in Vancouver I stopped missing Tanev. Man it was a rough start to the year though, for everyone 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

my favorite complaint about benning is spending to the cap every year, and then in the same sentence they complain that jim didn't spend to the cap to get toffoli markstrom and tanev.

hindsight

So you are saying paying 4.25 million for Toffoli is the same as paying 3 million for Beagle and Roussel ? 

It's not hindsight Toffoli is a Top 6 forward and the other two are bottom 6 players. Toffoli's contact has value and Beagle and Roussel are overpayments 

Edited by iinatcc

5 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Not sure about Tanev. I mean Calgary isn’t that far away.

And yes I agree about the Toffoli trade. I thought at the time it was too early to making that kind of trade. I did then become excited about as it was hard not to get excited about playoffs again. That’s the problem with a pressure cooker market. It ain’t the easiest thing to go full rebuild. Things could have been done to keep Toffoli but that would have involved spending money. We are actually better off for it cap wise this summer as we don’t have a buyout on that cap spreadsheet for that deal to happen. We instead choose Jake frickin Virtanen.

Sometimes it takes a new GM to make those hard calls though.

Virtanen is Bennings biggest draft mistake. Its understandable on a human level to understand that it would be hard for Benning to move on from him. Sometimes it takes an objective new guy to evaluate minus the attachment and baggage.

Thats not to slag on Benning. Virtanen last summer was the wrong choice but to me it was the most understandable move he made. It just looks even worse because it cost us Toffoli plus all the crap with Jake himsrlf this year.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

So you are saying paying 4.25 million for Toffoli is the same as paying 3 million for Beagle and Roussel ? 

It's not hindsight Toffoli is a Top 6 forward and the other two are bottom 6 players 

Was never either or though. 

• RoughGame 2

4 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Yeah once Hamonic found his groove in Vancouver I stopped missing Tanev. Man it was a rough start to the year though, for everyone 

I like Hamonic.

To me, the difference is Tanev made Hughes better. Hamonic, while solid, does not have that same impact on Hughes game.

• Cheers 1

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

I like Hamonic.

To me, the difference is Tanev made Hughes better. Hamonic, while solid, does not have that same impact on Hughes game.

Full training camp and normal schedule could be the simple and cheaper fix for that 

• RoughGame 1

4 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Was never either or though. 

I'm just saying these are two different cases.. but actually if Benning didn't overpay for bottom 6 players he would have been able to resign Toffoli 

Edited by iinatcc

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Full training camp and normal schedule could be the simple and cheaper fix for that 

Maybe. Assuming Hamonic comes back.

Worth a shot on a cheap contract but I am really hoping we dont see a 3x3 mil or anything for him.

I mean, to be fair, the guy is only willing to play for at most 4 NHL teams. Maybe he would consider Seattle too. And he has already played for 2 of them. That should be worth a pretty big discount in dollars and term imo especially if you have to give him a nmc.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Cheers 1

Sometimes it takes a new GM to make those hard calls though.

Virtanen is Bennings biggest draft mistake. Its understandable on a human level to understand that it would be hard for Benning to move on from him. Sometimes it takes an objective new guy to evaluate minus the attachment and baggage.

Thats not to slag on Benning. Virtanen last summer was the wrong choice but to me it was the most understandable move he made. It just looks even worse because it cost us Toffoli plus all the crap with Jake himsrlf this year.

Yeah not happy how it turned out for Jake. I was hopeful for the guy for a long time. Really disappointed with his play in the bubble too. In the season it looked like he had taken a corner, his overall game was getting better and he’s providing secondary scoring. Looked like he was a rookie again this. Little better defensively but that’s it. Guy like Jake cant make a living without chipping in with some goals here and there.

I think how that played out was a factor in moving Gaudette. There’s lots to speculate there but do we want another guy making 2 million a year next year that may not take another step, I don’t know.

• Cheers 1

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

Maybe. Assuming Hamonic comes back.

Worth a shot on a cheap contract but I sm really hoping we dont see a 3x3 mil or anything for him.

I mean, to be fair, the guy is only willing to play for at most 4 NHL teams. Maybe he would vonsider Seattle too. And he has already played for 2 of them. That should be worth a pretty big discount in dollars and term imo especoally if you have to give him a nmc.

No issue giving him a NMC after the expansion draft in exchange for a 2/3 year cheaper deal 

• RoughGame 1

5 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I like Hamonic.

Hughes is just a baby. We won’t have to worry as much who is partner is in a couple years 

• Cheers 1