The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jim Benning to return for next season

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, combover said:

The fact you use “ fake news” is all I need to see to know what I’m talking to. 

he wouldn’t have been resigned and you know it 

his contract saved him pretty simple. 

Owners wouldn’t be talking to popular PR figures to repair the damage done by Jb.

hes a league wide joke and the Canucks are the punchline. 

I used fake news because it is a term you might understand. You were not on the line when the call was made. You are making a hypothetical statement and treating it as fact. You choose it to suit your narrative when in actual fact it could have been a let's go for a beer and the media made it a thing.

They do when media fuels the flames into a roar when there is no need. Also, media is a business and propaganda. As long as they can refer to an anonymous source, they can say whatever they want and people like you praise it as gospel.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

As positive as I am on the future of the Canucks I would not be surprised if a new President of operations is the result. 

I really hope this is the case, along with some better communications as to team direction (maybe thats what the Sedins will provide).

Whatever someone thinks of Jim, I do think its fair to say that the combined role of president and GM is too much for one person to handle properly. Its not like the days of Quinn when there wasn't a cap, scouting was far simpler, etc. 

1 minute ago, BPA said:

It could be a bit if both. 

With all the media surrounding JB if he's going to be fired and fans wanting his head (the flying banner).  It would make sense for FA to reassure JB that he's still here and dissuade any fears so he can focus on his job.  Wouldn't any good boss/owner do that?

I also believe FA doesn't want to spend extra $$ where he doesn't have to.  No business person wants to see money spent uselessly. 

I can agree with some of that but if your doing a good job why would the boss need to reassure you.they must speak pretty regularly you’d think if he was that secure this wouldn’t have been news.

he wouldn’t get or need  a call saying your safe 

the pr figure hunting is another indicator that he’s isn’t that safe or has done a good job since they wouldn’t need to hire someone to repair the damage to the brand. 

14 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

1 minute ago, BPA said:

It could be a bit if both. 

With all the media surrounding JB if he's going to be fired and fans wanting his head (the flying banner).  It would make sense for FA to reassure JB that he's still here and dissuade any fears so he can focus on his job.  Wouldn't any good boss/owner do that?

I also believe FA doesn't want to spend extra $$ where he doesn't have to.  No business person wants to see money spent uselessly. 

He's prob not liking

Luongo, Spooner, Erikkson, Roussel, Ferland, Baertschi.

That being said, how much of it is actualy money instead of cap hit and how much of it is insurance.

I wonder what the out of pocket money to Aqualini is.

\No way he would be ok with paying out full cap hits on them

Erikkson stopped being a roster player this year, and his salary this year and next year is 4m (including bonus).  I dont know if Luongo gets paid as he retired, Spooner was bought out so there was a one time fee but it might be 1m per year, Roussel and Ferland are probably paid by insurance, Baertschi was paid by insurance at one point but is now getting paid (2.4)

All in all, the cash outflow is not bad compared to the caphit. I think all this cost Aquaman 7.5m ish this season

Still a crazy amount of money to throw away but when you are a billionaire running a sports team, that's a part of the business.

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

So bang on! The SN pundits have to sell their roles or like many of their compatriots they look for a job. Radio and TV are shedding jobs as revenue falls. Some of the posters on here have their own psycho reasons for what they post. I ignore. 

As positive as I am on the future of the Canucks I would not be surprised if a new President of operations is the result. The biggest off season challenge is the d-side of the game. 40-50 shot games against is not Cup contending hockey. Many nights confusion in coverage runs wild. I think the talent is there to play a much better game. 

A resolution of vet presence in the bottom 6 has to happen. Beagle and Rous have to go and Erickson bought off. I would resign Sutter at reduced money. Keep Highmore and Mott as well. Add from there. Imagine a actual training camp and a pre-season!!!

This is the part of the Canuck game that drives me crazier. It's like they've been told to turn back into their own zone for whatever reason. The D does it, and the forwards do it as well. Off the glass and out, when in doubt. Puck possession is fine and dandy, but, get out of your own end first.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I really hope this is the case, along with some better communications as to team direction (maybe thats what the Sedins will provide).

Whatever someone thinks of Jim, I do think its fair to say that the combined role of president and GM is too much for one person to handle properly. Its not like the days of Quinn when there wasn't a cap, scouting was far simpler, etc. 

I agree they desperately need a president one with a spine to stand up to owners ( but we know owners won’t hire that person) 

but at the very atleast keep a leash on the mutt that’s been running loose. 
not jus PR puppets 

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

4 minutes ago, lmm said:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Yaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you know, I've heard that for many years. What I see UFA players caring about is moving to teams that they find hard to play against, teams that have stacked young talent, and teams that have a clear role for them. 

What I don't think they care about is what some twitter guy thinks, or what an angry fan cares about. I don't know where "universally" comes from or what thats supposed to mean. 

Players also read the news and talk to other players.  It isn't about some random guy on Twitter.  Players say they want to go to teams where they have a chance to win.  A perennial cellar dweller is not that.  We had some good buxx after the bubble last year and didn't leverage it.

• Haha 1

I agree they desperately need a president one with a spine to stand up to owners ( but we know owners won’t hire that person) 

but at the very atleast keep a leash on the mutt that’s been running loose. 
not jus PR puppets 

I'm not sure the Aqulini's are anything other than cheap developers. They didn't seem to mind a strong opinion from Gillis and gave him a lot of leash, so I don't really buy into the "yes man" theory on them. I just think they are classic developers and old school business people. 

Which is why they really need a new president that can bridge that thinking with what todays players and fans expect. 

The team also needs some more depth throughout, on pro-scouting, cap management and assistant coaches. 

Its a lot to expect, but one can hope. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, johngould21 said:

This is the part of the Canuck game that drives me crazier. It's like they've been told to turn back into their own zone for whatever reason. The D does it, and the forwards do it as well. Off the glass and out, when in doubt. Puck possession is fine and dandy, but, get out of your own end first.

Our idea of defence is to stay in a box like the PK.

We dont have the confidence to contest and challenge opposing players so we defend by collapsing and blocking shots and then recovering the puck.

That's such an amateur way of playing hockey and one that is deployed when you are lacking the skill.

I still remember a game we won 20 years ago when we were playing a really good team.  

We literally deployed that tactic and won 2-1.  Pretty much scored on the random 3-5 chances we had that game and pulled out an upset.  

You only do that because you know the other team is better than you 

6 minutes ago, combover said:

I can agree with some of that but if your doing a good job why would the boss need to reassure you.they must speak pretty regularly you’d think if he was that secure this wouldn’t have been news.

he wouldn’t get or need  a call saying your safe 

the pr figure hunting is another indicator that he’s isn’t that safe or has done a good job since they wouldn’t need to hire someone to repair the damage to the brand. 

With so much noise out there, I'm sure anyone would appreciate a vote of confidence from their boss regardless of how secure they feel.

As for the PR, that's just it, PR.  Former beloved players joining the organization helps create a buzz with the fanbase.  Unless it's in the capacity of learning the ropes like A/GM (like Sakic), I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Players also read the news and talk to other players.  It isn't about some random guy on Twitter.  Players say they want to go to teams where they have a chance to win.  A perennial cellar dweller is not that.  We had some good buxx after the bubble last year and didn't leverage it.

I think most players will look at how these guys battled after covid and think its a ballsy group. I think they will look at guys like Petey, Brock, Hughes, Miller and Bo and think thats a good group to join. 

I just can't see players really thinking that much about the GM once their own deals are done.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

I used fake news because it is a term you might understand. You were not on the line when the call was made. You are making a hypothetical statement and treating it as fact. You choose it to suit your narrative when in actual fact it could have been a let's go for a beer and the media made it a thing.

They do when media fuels the flames into a roar when there is no need. Also, media is a business and propaganda. As long as they can refer to an anonymous source, they can say whatever they want and people like you praise it as gospel.

Sure 

meanwhile you eat up all the nonsense jbs been spouting as you bow down before your lord.a loyal follower. never questioning,

The majority is wrong .

You follow your own narrative ignore facts and things that common sense make implausible . 

owners are supper happy being a cap strapped bottom feeding media circus that’s been called dysfunctional and toxic that had what 20 million in dead money this season GREAT JOB!! 

he wouldn’t have been resigned. I know it’s hard to understand but that means his contract saved him. 

• RoughGame 1

God, I'm getting so tired of the same old negative BS from the same old negative posters. They couldn't stomach a "rebuild or a retool", they think it's easy to win in this league, etc. I'm positive that some of these guys are actually so called Bloggers that come on here to stir then blog about discontentment in the fan base. I was happy when Benning was hired, I'm still happy he's running the show. Since 1970, this is the best pool of players I've been excited for, and I'm tired of BS win now, coulda had so and so, I wanted this entitled keyboard warriors. 

I signed on here years ago hoping to find fans of the team. All I see now is a few haters that have polluted EVERY THREAD over the last 5 years continuously because they think winning is easy. These same posters will be on here within 3 years of changes demanding everyone is fired again. It seems never-ending. Go find another team to Bit+h about! Any joy that I have over being a Canucks fan has been taken from me by a few people because in their little minds, they know how to build teams better than people who are paid to do so. I don't mind "discussion" but on here either you hate or you don't know anything.

I'm out of here, I'll continue to cheer for my team and try to find some positive fans to talk to, but this place has become a bit of a cesspool. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

35 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

A generalization of a typical response from you. I would also not be surprised if I went back through the chat and your name came up with some of the above brilliance.

If you have all the time in the world go for it. I value my time rather than digging up dirt and being a SJW. 

5 minutes ago, 180sret said:

God, I'm getting so tired of the same old negative BS from the same old negative posters. They couldn't stomach a "rebuild or a retool", they think it's easy to win in this league, etc. I'm positive that some of these guys are actually so called Bloggers that come on here to stir then blog about discontentment in the fan base. I was happy when Benning was hired, I'm still happy he's running the show. Since 1970, this is the best pool of players I've been excited for, and I'm tired of BS win now, coulda had so and so, I wanted this entitled keyboard warriors. 

I signed on here years ago hoping to find fans of the team. All I see now is a few haters that have polluted EVERY THREAD over the last 5 years continuously because they think winning is easy. These same posters will be on here within 3 years of changes demanding everyone is fired again. It seems never-ending. Go find another team to Bit+h about! Any joy that I have over being a Canucks fan has been taken from me by a few people because in their little minds, they know how to build teams better than people who are paid to do so. I don't mind "discussion" but on here either you hate or you don't know anything.

I'm out of here, I'll continue to cheer for my team and try to find some positive fans to talk to, but this place has become a bit of a cesspool. 

hahaha ahaha

hey I gotsn idier fer ya

Jusy bock everbodie but Deb n Bree n you'll love dis place

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 180sret said:

You think we are the only fan base that calls for ownership and management to give us some answers. We are the paying customers. Be lucky we don’t have fans like Manchester. 

Sure 

meanwhile you eat up all the nonsense jbs been spouting as you bow down before your lord.a loyal follower. never questioning,

The majority is wrong .

You follow your own narrative ignore facts and things that common sense make implausible . 

owners are supper happy being a cap strapped bottom feeding media circus that’s been called dysfunctional and toxic that had what 20 million in dead money this season GREAT JOB!! 

he wouldn’t have been resigned. I know it’s hard to understand but that means his contract saved him. 

I just do not simply think of the worst option. This gives me multiple options for what something might mean. Then, because I am not running towards a narrative I can look at what is coming out and be reasonable in my assessment. Hope for the best until it is verifiably proven to be bad. 

Your comments always reflect a negative narrative so there can be no other option. Kinda sad way to live your life.

• Cheers 1