The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jim Benning to return for next season

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Not specifically "bud", but equivalent terms. My employees are a giant family. I have been able to largely retire because I can trust them to do their jobs effectively without constant supervision.

Hiring the right people is the best investment any business can make. 

And you don't think Aquilini knows that?....I'm quite sure they know how to run a business...

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Covid didnt cause the cap problems that led to losing Toffoli though.

Do you think Benning would have traded for Toffoli if the covid shutdown started before the trade?  Do you think if covid never happened Toffoli would have been signed?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Numba9 said:

Do you think Benning would have traded for Toffoli if the covid shutdown started before the trade?  Do you think if covid never happened Toffoli would have been signed?

Covid was already on the horizon though. And had the shutdown started he would not have been able to trade for Toffoli lol.

Don't rely on huge annual cap increases to plan your budget. Its a simple principle used by almost every team. Not the Canucks though.

• Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

5 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Covid was already on the horizon though. And had the shutdown started he would not have been able to trade for Toffoli lol.

Don't rely on huge annual cap increases to plan your budget. Its a simple principle used by almost every team. Not the Canucks though.

Why not when the cap was literally going up every single year. 

60D10EB0-269B-4F35-8978-0AAF039DD026.jpeg

Edited by Bertuzzipunch
  • Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, spook007 said:

And you don't think Aquilini knows that?....I'm quite sure they know how to run a business...

They know how to run a business. But they havent been overly good at hiring people to run the Canucks or structuring that management to be successful. They have gutted the front office. I dont know of one other nhl team where the GM is responsible directly for all aspects of being a President, GM, Director of Amateur Scouting, and Director of Player Personnel at the same time.

Its actually ridiculous and they are widely mocked in the sports world for just how far their front office has declined since Gillis.

• Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

5 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Why not when the cap was literally going up every single year. 

60D10EB0-269B-4F35-8978-0AAF039DD026.jpeg

Its called worst case scenario planning. Its widely accepted as the most conservative way to plan and gives teams flexibility when cap increases do happen. But minimizes the downside risk in case they dont.

Like I said, most teams internally plan based on that model. The Canucks plan based on best case scenario though.

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Its called worst case scenario planning. Its widely accepted as the most conservative way to plan and gives teams flexibility when cap increases do happen. But minimizes the downside risk in case they dont.

Like I said, most teams internally plan based on that model. The Canucks plan based on best case scenario though.

No, like any business they plan for all. 

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

19 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I’m fairly certain he’s going to be good all aspects of the game. Offence will always be his greatest attribute but he’s gonna be A-ok.

We aren’t really use to having young players like we do now. I remember years and years of hoping for a young talent to come in and that was when we were not so great and had a really good teams. Kesler was the only guy that I can think of off the top of my head. 

Cody, was looking ok before he hurt  his back,but it was in junior he hurt his back and he was a  little prima donna whining about minutes. wasn't his family all up on gillis?

most of the other guys were all about 22-27 before they made a impact. tanev,burrows,kesler,bieksa,edler,hansen

if you look at 2010-2011 roster all the best players were between 24-30

which means we should really consider trading some of our vets/prospects and picks in the next few years to add 2 stars in thier primes.

also next year im really considering trading motte even if we are in playoff contention, at his salary he might fetch 2 picks. maybe a 2nd and a 4th?

there was 8 *confimed cases in canada and 19 in the USA when toffoli was traded.

Canucks are not the only team with cap problems. there is 10 teams with 0 cap space and using LTIR. there is another 17 teams that are within 2m of the upper limit. when a big contract came off LTIR vegas had to ice 15 players this year.

https://deadspin.com/nhl-has-a-silly-cap-problem-it-needs-to-solve-1846866980

@wallstreetamigo just makes up his truth.

Edited by Petey_BOI
  • Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

there was 8 *confimed cases in canada and 19 in the USA when toffoli was traded.

Canucks are not the only team with cap problems. there is 10 teams with 0 cap space and using LTIR. there is another 17 teams that are within 2m of the upper limit. when a big contract came off LTIR vegas had to ice 15 players this year.

https://deadspin.com/nhl-has-a-silly-cap-problem-it-needs-to-solve-1846866980

@wallstreetamigo just makes up his truth.

So, notice I said covid was already on the horizon. Thanks for confirming that.

I never said the Canucks were the only team with cap problems.

Now separate how many of those cap maxed teams are also perrenial bottom feeders. Lets compare apples to apples.

Vegas is a top cup contender. Canucks are bottom of the league. Which one should be at the cap and which shouldnt given those outcomes?

Its not rocket science its simple fact. Based on cap spending to on ice results the last 7 years, I wonder where the Canucks rank on return on their cap investment?

"Salary cap trouble" is relative. Operating at the salary cap doesnt necessarily mean a team is in cap trouble. It depends on their circumstances.

A team that competes for the cup every year, has all its core players locked up, good support players locked up, etc. isnt really in cap trouble. They are maximizing their use of the cap. 

A team that finishes bottom 3 or 4 pretty much every year while having 2 of its top stars on ELC deals, with mediocre support players/ahl/benchwarmers on bloated contracts, playing waiver acquisitions, etc. while operating at the salary cap is in cap trouble.

Context matters. Your conparisons mean nothing unless you compare those teams situations and results side by side. Other than possibly Buffalo, I see no other team in more cap trouble - ie getting the least impact from their max cap - than the Canucks.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 2

1 hour ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Lol yes how crazy of benning not to think of a obvious world wide pandemic what a silly goose.

It has nothing to do with predicting a pandemic. It has to do with actually having contingency plans based on a flat cap or a declining cap even. Business planning isnt done based on best case scenario assumptions.

Well, at least not by competent business people.

• RoughGame 2

8 hours ago, Squamfan said:

There is something so satisfying seeing you spam your negative trash. I can almost see you raging in your little hovel with the crows chatting wildly at you. HAHA. Keep up the good work! Something must be right in the world when you are crying

8 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

The Loungo recap penalty has absolutely nothing to do with what I just stated. 

Francesco is a meddling owner and a troublemaker within the organization. It's why Linden is gone. Roberto Aquilini and even brother Paolo are both good guys who aren't anything like Francesco

You eat frogs and snails and steal purses from old ladies. How do I know this? Because I read it on the internet after I typed it.

Proverbs 26:3 - (Trust me you will like it) verse 4 is for me, but I could not resist.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Who exactly benefited? Difficulty? 

Just to name a few .... Blues got Hoffman for 4 Million, Habs to Toffoli for 4.25 Million, Oilers got Tyson Barrie for 3.75 Million, and Caps got Chara for 1.5 Million. 

2 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

another Whoosh!

Here's another thought.

Hey magic 8 ball will there be a pandemic in the near future? Benning doesn't like rentals, he has stated that before.

like I said Hindsight.

Pandemic also happened in Montreal and they signed Toffoli. And since when was a 4 year commitment a rental? 

No one could have predicted a Pandemic (unless you are Bill Gates) but they could have predicted the cap troubles the team would end up being. Even without the Pandemic the cap situation would have been bad and the Pandemic only made things worse.