The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Moves Benning should be aggressive on (Proposals/Discussion) Revised!

Some really good and interesting ideas here Jan. I like the Jones trade if we can bolster our picks as you suggest.

I have also been thinking long and hard over how we could prise Graves out of COL. Even though he is likely selected by Seattle, I don’t think a 3rd and/or B level prospect gets it done.

The problem for COL is: if they flip Graves for an asset, who else do they lose to Seattle? Probably Donskoi or Jost. And since they are in win now mode, they want the asset that they get for Graves to contribute to the team asap, but also the asset needs to be exempt from selection. It’s a tough ask. A pick is probably not going to do it.

Most pundits are thinking they may just let SEA take a good player like Graves and rely on their depth to make up for the loss.

i wonder whether Jett Woo would suit the Avs? He is not yet an NHL player but he appears to be a tier above Jasek and if COL felt he could come in on their RHD in another season, then they might go for that. They are not overly blessed with RHD and Woo is exempt.

As you note in your OP, this then means we are suddenly overstocked with LHD. However this could be dealt with by pairing Graves with Hughes, or perhaps keeping a Graves-Schmidt top pairing and keeping Hughes-Hamonic as 2nd pairing at even strength.

Hughes picks up extra mins on PP, and Hamonic on the PK.

Edited by BigTramFan
  • Cheers 1

19 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

I like some of them a lot.

Graves would be a nice one for sure. Theres our replacement for edler(thank god). Young and big which would fit in nicely.

Definitely a yes for martin jones @50% and picks what a steal that would be. 

The schmidt and Dumba suggestions im not in board for. If we gonna get rid of schmidt and a 2023 1st id rather look for a better dman than dumba. Yeah a second from ottawa would be nice but for that package i believe we can get a better dman. 

Juolevi for Schnieder is fine by me. 

And we both know buffalo would never trade cozens for miller lol i see why its a good plan but I think id rather stick with miller for now.

We dont  have to worry about Bo for a long time. We can find his replacement later on.

I like the Joulevi move but that wouldn't go over we'll with Rags fans. Graves when played anywhere above bottom pairing gets destroyed and the left side I think is not an area we need to address.

I think people wanting to move Nate unless for an obvious upgrade are off the mark. The only games I really thought he didn't look great were when he was playing on his left side and to me that's on the coaches, he carried Edler who had a rough year and saw the hardest minutes. 

Not that the Sabres would do it but why move a PPG guy who has obvious chemistry with our young core for a kid who may not even end up near the player JT is?

19 hours ago, IBatch said:

Back to reality.   I'd do the Miller trade in a second.   Fits our cores age and also makes sense for BUFF, they need Miller now more then we do.   Cozens and Podz ... what we need. 

Adams insist that they want to build a team with players who want to be there.  Eichel, Reinhart, Ristolainen are all expected to be moved per Friedman.

Cozens says he wants to be there long term.  He’s really unlikely to be moved when they have a promising young player who wants to be part of their future.  Buffalo has trouble retaining talent so adding Miller, who won’t be happy to go to a rebuilding team and will probably be looking to bolt as soon as he reaches UFA, is probably not the type of return they would be aiming for in a trade.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, mll said:

Adams insist that they want to build a team with players who want to be there.  Eichel, Reinhart, Ristolainen are all expected to be moved per Friedman.

Cozens says he wants to be there long term.  He’s really unlikely to be moved when they have a promising young player who wants to be part of their future.  Buffalo has trouble retaining talent so adding Miller, who won’t be happy to go to a rebuilding team and will probably be looking to bolt as soon as he reaches UFA, is probably not the type of return they would be aiming for in a trade.

Yes that makes sense.    Think the "let's keep Eichel happy train" fizzled away a lot with Skinner fizzling away amongst other things.    Buffalo ... man at least we aren't cheering for that team, now that's rough. 

• Cheers 1

On 5/26/2021 at 8:21 PM, janisahockeynut said:

Move #1

Vancouver should go after Colorado's Ryan Graves who will be the 4th Dman and will not be protected at the Expansion Draft

Cost? Minni 2021-2nd + Jasek ? or a 3rd?

I like the size upgrade here. Just don't think Sakic sends him our way, he'll end up out east somewhere. 

Move #2

Vancouver should take Martin Jones @50% for a flip of our 2021-1st (we move up 2 spots) and a 2022-2nd. 

Jones is then kept as our cheap back 

This one is interesting. But thats too high a price just to move 2 spots up, I'd do it for their1st. round pick tho if we could send Holtby back their way as part of this. 

I suppose can still buy him out at 50% retained as well. 

Its a major cap dump favour for a division rival so it needs to sting. 

Move #3

Schmidt to Ottawa for  Ottawa's 2021-2nd, and San Jose 2021-2nd

I like this one. Nets us 2 2nds and free's up room to go after Hamilton. 

Move #4

Vancouver's 2023 1st for Dumba and 2021-2nd.

Dumba is Minnesota's #4 Dman at the Expansion draft, and will loose him. This way, they gain. We replace Schmidt and gain a 2nd

Dumba is not a very good d man tho... not sure I want to burn a 1st for him. 

Move #5

Juolevi for Schnieder (NYR)

This is a lateral move that I hate, but with the addition of Graves, we are heavy on the LHD and this move allows us to add a solid prospect on the RHD side.

Move #6

Dylan Cozens for JT MIller

Buffalo does this to quiet down Eichel , who is an elite Center, and who needs some veteran help. JT Miller does that. Vancouver does this and adds a player 8 years younger and still on his ELC for 2 more years, and who was a 7th OA several years ago. Cozens plays LW and Center, and gives us a short term replacement for Miller and a long term replacement for Horvat. This also gives Vancouver Cap relief.

I'd do this one too. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, mll said:

No one would likely want to be in Buffalo though, they'd go for the $ and thats it. 

Of course Cozens is going to say that, he's just a kid and I'm sure his agent doesn't want the constant swirl of speculation that would follow if Cozens hinted at wanting to be somewhere else. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I like the size upgrade here. Just don't think Sakic sends him our way, he'll end up out east somewhere. 

If I remember right here, it is a 2nd and a 3rd for Graves, that is a decent haul for a 2nd pairing Dman, but if I Sakic wants more and I could not find better, I would give a small add. Maybe a B asset.???

This one is interesting. But thats too high a price just to move 2 spots up, I'd do it for their1st. round pick tho if we could send Holtby back their way as part of this. 

It is the flip and a 2nd.....the point with Jones, is at 50%, we can keep him, buy him out, or trade him, Depending on how he plays. He has a good buyout 

I am not worried what it does for them. What does it do for us?

My thoughts exactly

Really, hmm, I am thinking Dumba is a decent 2nd pairing guy

I'd do this one too. 

NYR are full of RHD, and Trouba has a NTC/NMC, so with Fox/Trouba/ and that young Swede, they are full on RHD, and no as much with LHD, a young one for a young one.

We could give a pick along with it???? My thought is to target players along in their development, Schneider is only a year away..maybe 2, so that fits in well with Myers contract

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMO, we should be trying to move our young assets along, closer to our core, so they will have multiple years together, at the top, all the while trying to put more young assets into Utica/Abby, so we can give them the long roast, and actually not have to bring them up early........

1 minute ago, janisahockeynut said:

If I remember right here, it is a 2nd and a 3rd for Graves, that is a decent haul for a 2nd pairing Dman, but if I Sakic wants more and I could not find better, I would give a small add. Maybe a B asset.???

It is the flip and a 2nd.....the point with Jones, is at 50%, we can keep him, buy him out, or trade him, Depending on how he plays. He has a good buyout 

I am not worried what it does for them. What does it do for us?

My thoughts exactly

Really, hmm, I am thinking Dumba is a decent 2nd pairing guy

NYR are full of RHD, and Trouba has a NTC/NMC, so with Fox/Trouba/ and that young Swede, they are full on RHD, and no as much with LHD, a young one for a young one.

We could give a pick along with it???? My thought is to target players along in their development, Schneider is only a year away..maybe 2, so that fits in well with Myers contract

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMO, we should be trying to move our young assets along, closer to our core, so they will have multiple years together, at the top, all the while trying to put more young assets into Utica/Abby, so we can give them the long roast, and actually not have to bring them up early........

I dunno, something about Dumba scares me off. I'm not sure we need him with the puck movers we have in Hughes and Rathbone. I'd rather try for Doogie first and if that worked, I think we're in good shape. 

I really like your Schmidt idea, that might be something Jim is shopping hard.

Going back to Jones, you could be on to something there. Does SJS retain for 3 years, thats the big question. Its a disaster over there so who knows. I can't believe Burns is already 36 :shock: with 4 more years at 8 mil. and then a much declined Karlsson at 11.5 for SIX more year. Holy crackers. 

With that on the books they may be happy to shed what they can in Jones. 

17 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I dunno, something about Dumba scares me off. I'm not sure we need him with the puck movers we have in Hughes and Rathbone. I'd rather try for Doogie first and if that worked, I think we're in good shape. 

Going back to Jones, you could be on to something there. Does SJS retain for 3 years, thats the big question. Its a disaster over there so who knows. I can't believe Burns is already 36 :shock: with 4 more years at 8 mil. and then a much declined Karlsson at 11.5 for SIX more year. Holy crackers. 

Yeah, "IF" we got Hamilton, we don't need Dumba, but the trouble is the order of the Expansion draft and Free Agency, we would loose our option on Dumba, before knowing if we had Hamilton......but I get it!

On the San Jose front, yes we get the retention for a 3 years, and San Jose is in a big pile of trouble as is Buffalo. I could see the league giving a free buyout period at some point, just to help, Tampa (Johnson) Columbus (Bob the goalie), Buffalo (Skinner and Okposo) and San Jose (Burns and Karlsson). Betteman is sweet on his USA teams. That Skinner one is the worst.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

No one would likely want to be in Buffalo though, they'd go for the $ and thats it. 

Of course Cozens is going to say that, he's just a kid and I'm sure his agent doesn't want the constant swirl of speculation that would follow if Cozens hinted at wanting to be somewhere else. 

He sounded sincere.  Many said that about Ottawa but they look to have a good thing going with their own kids.  

• Thanks 1

@Jimmy McGill

It remains to be seen, if JB can be that creative, but the GM's that can be.....Burkie, Tampa GM, etc have franchises that last. Those ones that are not, seem to not be as competitive.

I would like to see JB, be creative, and clear some cap, as well.

I am serious that we make the trade suggested.....personally, I would like to keep Schmidt and get ride of Myers, while obtaining Hamilton and Schnieder. That is a big offensive right wide, and along with Woo, gives us alot more time to, develop that side.

It would be great if JB could pull something like this off.

• Cheers 1

I don’t like Miller for Cozens for the following reasons:

1) Miller is a popular teammate in the lockerroom.

2) Even though the Canucks are a youngish team with a young core, you still need vets at good cap hits to complement that young nucleus.  That’s why it always drives me nuts when people suggest ideas for trading Miller and Schmidt, as I feel like many people don’t understand why those guys were really brought in.  Both of those cap hits will come in EXTREMELY handy in the 22-23 season, along with Horvat’s cap hit.  
3) Cozens might turn out to be a great player one day, but the Canucks will be entering their window in 22-23, and we still don’t know if Cozens is going to be “that guy.”

With my Pettersson and Hughes proposals, there’s an implicit understanding that I’m high off my rocker and have gone into fantasy land, but I also would never trade those guys due to the disruption and upheaval it would cause in the lockerroom.....not to mention the fact that one should never trade away good young core players that serve to create the identity of the team (this identity of which can attract high ticket sales UFA’s one day).

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd do this one too. 

Frees up room to go after Hamilton but I still think our chances of landing Hamilton would be fairly low.  Hamilton would also be very expensive.  Schmidt at his current cap hit is tremendous value.  He just needs to be deployed in a similar manner to how he was deployed in Vegas.

10 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Frees up room to go after Hamilton but I still think our chances of landing Hamilton would be fairly low.  Hamilton would also be very expensive.  Schmidt at his current cap hit is tremendous value.  He just needs to be deployed in a similar manner to how he was deployed in Vegas.

I agree, just don't see Baumer doing that unfortunately. 

49 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Yeah, "IF" we got Hamilton, we don't need Dumba, but the trouble is the order of the Expansion draft and Free Agency, we would loose our option on Dumba, before knowing if we had Hamilton......but I get it!

On the San Jose front, yes we get the retention for a 3 years, and San Jose is in a big pile of trouble as is Buffalo. I could see the league giving a free buyout period at some point, just to help, Tampa (Johnson) Columbus (Bob the goalie), Buffalo (Skinner and Okposo) and San Jose (Burns and Karlsson). Betteman is sweet on his USA teams. That Skinner one is the worst.

interestingly, they just had that opportunity with the new CBA and turned down compliance buyouts, didn't sound like there was an appetite at all for it on the players or owners side. 

SJS is really in some trouble with these contracts, they are not aging like wine. 

I wonder if they leave Burns unprotected? would Seattle take that on? Jones will be unprotected for sure. 

But if we're going to help out SJS, I want their 1st round pick. 

48 minutes ago, mll said:

He sounded sincere.  Many said that about Ottawa but they look to have a good thing going with their own kids.  

yeah could be. I just don't see Buffalo being close to where Ottawa is before a couple more years of tanking. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Go look what vlasic is making if you really want your mind blown.