The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks announce coaching staff updates

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

48 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I suspect my delivery of reality based assessments of the Canucks and management approach is why many consider me a "hater".

I love the Canucks and have since I was a kid in the 70's. They have a good core at this point but by no means a perfect one. In my mind a true cup contending core includes a clutch bottom 6 center that can play at both ends. A true #1 all around dman who can play the PP, PK, and matchup defense 5 on 5. If that player can provide a physical game thats even better. The Canucks have neither at this point.

They do have some flexibility though imo. If I put my optimistic hat on, I could see an effective 4 line forward group even if they cant get a 3rd line upgrade.

- EP, Miller, Horvat centering top 3 lines. Sutter as 4th line center placeholder would not be bad on a cheap 1 year deal. But Graovac would be serviceable there for a year too.

- top line quality offensive LW. If playing with EP and Boeser, needs to be a premier two way guy with some physical jam and an ability to create space and retrieve pucks. If playing with Miller it needs to be a guy with exceptional playmaking ability.

- Pearson and Horvat as 2/3 of a 3rd line is playoff quality depth imo. They need a RW who can play solid at both ends though. That could be Podkolzin or he could be a top 6 option. Hoglander I see as a good top 6 LW option but depending on other moves as suggested could be fantastic on the 3rd line RW. Having a 3rd line like that is how you win in the playoffs.

- the team actually has the makings of a solid 4th line. Highmore, Graovac, MacEwen, Motte, Sutter, etc. The problem is playing these guys up the lineup.

Defense is where the needs become critical. I love Hughes but he is not a true #1 dman you win in the playoffs with. The team needs a true all around #1 guy who can PP, PK, matchup 5 on 5, and play a more physical style. Hopefully that guy has a booming shot. Pair that guy with Hughes and you have a top pairing that can carry serious water in the playoffs. 

Schmidt is a guy who, if he stays, needs to be utilized to full effect. He is good at both ends. He didnt show nearly what he can do. Part of that was his pairing and usage. I think in the absence of other moves, a Juolevi/Rathbone-Schmidt pairing could be a highly effective 2nd pairing at both ends.

If you have Myers anchoring your 3rd pairing, that is quality playoff depth imo. It all stems around a true #1 RHD imo.

The Canucks are not necessarily that far off. But they need to change wasting cap on the wrong areas.

It becomes easier if they can add a true elite 3rd line center and true #1 RHD to the core of course.

You might come across as being a little salty and a bit of a know-it-all at times, but calling you a hater is wrong. 

Ooops, I just described myself.

I agree with your centremen line up.  If Pettersson, Miller, Horvat line up as your top three centremen, the middle is solid, and gives the team the flexibility to groom a young centreman at the NHL level (maybe Kole Lind).  Gravovac, a middle ager, would work...I like his size and in a limited role, I think he'd be alright as a fourth.

I agree with a LW as you describe for Pettersson and Boeser.  If the Canucks could land a Max Pacioretty-type LW for Pettersson and Boeser, the "first" line would be set.  In a couple of seasons, I think Podkolzin will be this guy.  Maybe as early as mid-way through next season.

I agree with having Sutter in the line up.  However, I would have him on the RW with Horvat and Pearson.  Sutter can still shut down players, play the PK, and take important defensive zone face-offs (especially on the right dot).  For my money, he's much better than how he's perceived/valued here on CDC (especially at a $1.5M to $2.0M cap hit).

I'd have Hoglander (RW) and Motte (LW) play with Miller.  I think their play would complement each other. Lots of speed and energy, defensively aware, and opportunistic.  I think Motte would cover some of the high risk play of Miller and Hoglander.

Where I disagree with you is Quinn Hughes.  I think he's on the track to become the next Brian Leetch, a cup winner (who incidentally had a -18 sophomore season, and had a -36 season, along with five seasons in a row where he was a collective -77).  I think you can win with Quinn Hughes as your no. 1 d-man.  To me, there's just too much talent there to be ignored for a no. 1 spot on the depth chart.

I do agree the Canucks need to beef up their defence crew with size and mobility.  I like both Juolevi and Rathbone.  I believe Juolevi will still turn out to be a top 4 d-man in the likeness of a Sami Salo and top out at 200 to 205 lbs., and I believe Rathbone has the makings of a Ryan Suter type player, topping out at 195 to 200 lbs.  But both Rathbone and Juolevi are a season or two away from being impact players.  My concern with Hughes, Juolevi and Rathbone is that they are clustered together in the same age group and on the left side, so having so much youth on the defence at the same time could be detrimental to the win-now mentality.

I actually like the right side of the Canucks defence.  I like Tyler Myers a lot.  He's big and mobile, but lacks quickness (which is something you would expect from someone who is 6'7").  To me, Myers is low end top four or a high end bottom two.  He's got size, plays with intensity and moves around the ice pretty well, so he's a guy you can move up and down the depth chart. 

Schmidt, like most of the Canucks players this past season, played below expectations.  I think he's a much better player and am hopeful that the Schmidt from Vegas is the one we see next season.  

And I like the heart Hamonic plays with. 

If this is the defence that comes back in 2021-22, I'd be concerned mainly because of the inexperience on the left side.  Same players as parts of 2020-21, but in spite of my concerns, I believe they would be much better individually and collectively than they were this past season (only because I think we saw them at their worst this season, and we could add in the Brad Shaw factor).

As you say, the Canucks are close.  There's a lot of what ifs...if Podkolzin can make an immediate impact (similar to Pettersson), then questions for the top six gets answered and opens the flexibility to roll Pettersson-Miller-Horvat as your top three centres...if Juolevi and Rathbone can make the jump to be everyday NHL players, the defence becomes solidified, though it will remain undersized on the left side.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

You might come across as being a little salty and a bit of a know-it-all at times, but calling you a hater is wrong. 

Ooops, I just described myself.

I agree with your centremen line up.  If Pettersson, Miller, Horvat line up as your top three centremen, the middle is solid, and gives the team the flexibility to groom a young centreman at the NHL level (maybe Kole Lind).  Gravovac, a middle ager, would work...I like his size and in a limited role, I think he'd be alright as a fourth.

I agree with a LW as you describe for Pettersson and Boeser.  If the Canucks could land a Max Pacioretty-type LW for Pettersson and Boeser, the "first" line would be set.  In a couple of seasons, I think Podkolzin will be this guy.  Maybe as early as mid-way through next season.

I agree with having Sutter in the line up.  However, I would have him on the RW with Horvat and Pearson.  Sutter can still shut down players, play the PK, and take important defensive zone face-offs (especially on the right dot).  For my money, he's much better than how he's perceived/valued here on CDC (especially at a $1.5M to $2.0M cap hit).

I'd have Hoglander (RW) and Motte (LW) play with Miller.  I think their play would complement each other. Lots of speed and energy, defensively aware, and opportunistic.  I think Motte would cover some of the high risk play of Miller and Hoglander.

Where I disagree with you is Quinn Hughes.  I think he's on the track to become the next Brian Leetch, a cup winner (who incidentally had a -18 sophomore season, and had a -36 season, along with five seasons in a row where he was a collective -77).  I think you can win with Quinn Hughes as your no. 1 d-man.  To me, there's just too much talent there to be ignored for a no. 1 spot on the depth chart.

I do agree the Canucks need to beef up their defence crew with size and mobility.  I like both Juolevi and Rathbone.  I believe Juolevi will still turn out to be a top 4 d-man in the likeness of a Sami Salo and top out at 200 to 205 lbs., and I believe Rathbone has the makings of a Ryan Suter type player, topping out at 195 to 200 lbs.  But both Rathbone and Juolevi are a season or two away from being impact players.  My concern with Hughes, Juolevi and Rathbone is that they are clustered together in the same age group and on the left side, so having so much youth on the defence at the same time could be detrimental to the win-now mentality.

I actually like the right side of the Canucks defence.  I like Tyler Myers a lot.  He's big and mobile, but lacks quickness (which is something you would expect from someone who is 6'7").  To me, Myers is low end top four or a high end bottom two.  He's got size, plays with intensity and moves around the ice pretty well, so he's a guy you can move up and down the depth chart. 

Schmidt, like most of the Canucks players this past season, played below expectations.  I think he's a much better player and am hopeful that the Schmidt from Vegas is the one we see next season.  

And I like the heart Hamonic plays with. 

If this is the defence that comes back in 2021-22, I'd be concerned mainly because of the inexperience on the left side.  Same players as parts of 2020-21, but in spite of my concerns, I believe they would be much better individually and collectively than they were this past season (only because I think we saw them at their worst this season, and we could add in the Brad Shaw factor).

As you say, the Canucks are close.  There's a lot of what ifs...if Podkolzin can make an immediate impact (similar to Pettersson), then questions for the top six gets answered and opens the flexibility to roll Pettersson-Miller-Horvat as your top three centres...if Juolevi and Rathbone can make the jump to be everyday NHL players, the defence becomes solidified, though it will remain undersized on the left side.

Good points made. 

I do think our defense individually and collectively is much better than they have shown. I attribute a lot of their struggles to coaching and systems. I am excited about the Shaw addition because he excels at fitting players to pairings and roles that maximize their strengths and minimize their weaknesses and fitting the structure and style around the players he has rather than trying to put square pegs in round holes.

The inexperience on the left side is a concern. We may very well see one of Rathbone or Juolevi traded tbh. I dont necessarily think that should happen but would not be surprised if it did. Schmidt could move to the left side if a true top pairing RHD that can complement Hughes can be acquired (a big ask, I know).  

4 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Officiating plays a role. 

In 2011 the officiating (and head office) were pretty sketchy. But its tough to completely blame the refs. The Canucks had their chances on the PP. They scored 8 goals in 7 games. They played a perimeter game and simply could not solve Thomas.

Vegas gets away with a lot. But they also move their feet and play aggressive which makes it easier for refs to let them get away with it.

Wasn't it in 2011 that BOS was in game 7 vs TB?  And TB had the best PP in the league at the time and there was 0 PP in the game? 

10 minutes ago, BPA said:

Wasn't it in 2011 that BOS was in game 7 vs TB?  And TB had the best PP in the league at the time and there was 0 PP in the game? 

Yes. I havent watched that game since though so have no idea how sketchy that was. Maybe it was. 

Still has nothing to do with the Canucks or the SCF though which was my point.

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

No clue. But its a known problem in sports. No team is immune to it.

well, sure, but it's not like you can't assemble a team of standup dudes who aren't partiers. go down the roster ... other than jake, I can't see a single guy who would be that type. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

No clue. But its a known problem in sports. No team is immune to it.

Please don't do that....a known problem in sports does not equate to the Canucks participating.  Not sure why you'd go down that path?

It's really irresponsible and irrelevant to tie them into something that you have no idea about.

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

I hate the speculation that a widespread problem in sports cannot possibly impact the Canucks. 

it certainly could impact the canucks, and with previous incarnations of the roster I'm sure it HAS impacted the canucks (kassian, anyone?). but this roster is pretty squeaky clean. 

I hate the speculation that a widespread problem in sports cannot possibly impact the Canucks. 

That's called rumour mongering...don't do it.

The reality is YOU don't know them either.  Yet you're making some pretty bold statements here and it's really not appropriate or appreciated.

The reality is you dont actually know them though. 

of course not. but I'm also a good judge of character and I'm easily able to sort through "canned personality for the camera" vs genuine personality. 

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

10. You will respect the personal privacy of players/management(past and present) and their families.

Discussions about players or management that have nothing to do with hockey ... are strongly discouraged.