The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks announce coaching staff updates

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Imo, just like Schmidt, Cernak seems to be a player that thrives in the Tampa system cause LA did not know what they had with him (this is why they hopefully play OJ before trading him).  Hopefully, Shaw can identify players we have in the system that will do the same while the on ice system get re vamp.

At very least a fresh eye and candid exchange

• Vintage 2

3 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

At very least a fresh eye and candid exchange

Yeah, hoping the interview can be manifested on the ice but there is always the human ego - still hoping that the staff can perform as advertised and the players buy in (?).

Edited by ShawnAntoski

6 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah, hoping the interview can be manifested on the ice but there is always the human ego - still hoping that the staff can perform as advertised and the players buy in (?).

No reason there shouldn’t be a total buy-in by the d’men  after seeing the list of guys who have blossomed under Shaw. He’ll have an eye for commitment similar to how Clark describes it for goalies,  the goalie has to be the most committed and most competitive guy on the team. Shaw will know relatively quickly if the guy will be able to adapt. By the way, as he says that same commitment needs to be shown by the forwards as well.

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

Obviously JB wasn't convinced Madden was going to be an NHL player of any magnitude.........and it's looking like he was probably right 

How’s JB right in that Madden wasn’t going to be an NHL player? Isn’t it a little too early to make that judgment? 

18 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Imo, just like Schmidt, Cernak seems to be a player that thrives in the Tampa system cause LA did not know what they had with him (this is why they hopefully play OJ before trading him).  Hopefully, Shaw can identify players we have in the system that will do the same while the on ice system gets re vamp.

I agree, Cernak based on his performance with Tampa would be a good add but not sure how he would had done under Greens/Baumers system.

I agree in that just because a specific player thrived under one system, doesn’t mean that they will thrive in every system they go to. Each coach has different systems, and sometimes the fit just isn’t there. Is Cernak that good of a player that he would thrive in whatever system he plays in? 

With that being said. If he were available and could be acquired without breaking the &^@#ing bank, then yeah, I’d be all in with the guy. But what’s he going to cost? I’d hate for him to go to the &^@#ing Kraken. 

31 minutes ago, Schmautzie said:

The more I see on McTavish the more I would love to see the Canucks draft him. Unfortunately I think his performance at the Under-18s will move him up most teams’ lists and he’ll be long gone before our pick.

The more I hear about McTavish, the more I think if he does become available when the Canucks pick, we should pick him. I think there’s a slight chance that he might be gone by around the 6-8 picks. Which would be just before the Canucks make their pick. The other player I’d be interested in is Kent Johnson - but he’s such a high risk. Boom or Bust kind of pick right. Imagine if he busts again. This forum would go bananas. 

On 6/10/2021 at 9:59 PM, FaninMex said:

How many times have you said the same thing over and over. You have argued this countless times with countless posters. Unless their name is Squamfan, we have all rebuffed what you have said and given various counter arguments but you still belch out the same same. 

Toffoli walked. He would not have changed our season so, who cares. Crying about spilled milk.

Tanev. We moved on. His body will not survive many more years in this league.

OEL. What is wrong with looking at options? 

How do you know what Arizona would or wouldn't do? 

You live in the land of If, Ands and Maybe's. Why not live in the present? But I think you just come on here to argue with someone like when you defended Drance of all people

Because he is either Drance or one of his cronies Johnston or Sekeres.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

The more I hear about McTavish, the more I think if he does become available when the Canucks pick, we should pick him. I think there’s a slight chance that he might be gone by around the 6-8 picks. Which would be just before the Canucks make their pick. The other player I’d be interested in is Kent Johnson - but he’s such a high risk. Boom or Bust kind of pick right. Imagine if he busts again. This forum would go bananas. 

Johnson is the one guy I hope is gone by the time the Canucks pick exactly because of his bust potential. I’m thinking McTavish is more of a can’t miss NHLer who would thrive in playoff style hockey.

3 hours ago, 4petesake said:

No reason there shouldn’t be a total buy-in by the d’men  after seeing the list of guys who have blossomed under Shaw. He’ll have an eye for commitment similar to how Clark describes it for goalies,  the goalie has to be the most committed and most competitive guy on the team. Shaw will know relatively quickly if the guy will be able to adapt. By the way, as he says that same commitment needs to be shown by the forwards as well.

I get it and we will just have to wait & see how the season goes; and the roster tweaking is just about to start - fingers crossed.

Perhaps Shaw will suggest to bring in someone he is familiar with ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I agree in that just because a specific player thrived under one system, doesn’t mean that they will thrive in every system they go to. Each coach has different systems, and sometimes the fit just isn’t there. Is Cernak that good of a player that he would thrive in whatever system he plays in? 

With that being said. If he were available and could be acquired without breaking the &^@#ing bank, then yeah, I’d be all in with the guy. But what’s he going to cost? I’d hate for him to go to the &^@#ing Kraken. 

I get it; and i still would pass and give the Internal options a shot with Shaw first before before breaking the &^@#ing bank for Cernak.  Preferably, I hope the Staff figures out there side first before any (major) roster tweaking takes place.  

Looking forward to what Shaw can do.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

6 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

What a stupid idiot mcleod is. 

late hit no call but more importantly...where was his teammates to stand up for him, forgot we are Charmin. Why do beer league hockey players fight the opposition if someone takes a run at a teammate but guys making millions become cowards and don't want to ruin their manicures?? 

That hit can be added to a decent list in the last 5 years of times Canuck players gotten run or hit late with ZERO retribution for the opposition. That is called Charmin and Charmin ain't going to win you a Stanley Cup!

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

There is not much out there on the UFA front.  Hamilton, Savard and Larsson are the only 3 legit RHD that are UFA's, but none bring the truculence of a Chara or Weber.

Hamonic may be the short term solution.  But I'd rather Benning be aggressive and use the expansion draft to target a RHD that another team may lose for nothing.  My dream is Erik Cernak, he'd be the gold standard of RHD to play with Hughes.  Don't think it's gonna happen though.  I think Scott Mayfield could be a good target.  He's playing 22-24 minutes a night in the playoffs and is 28 and on a cheap contract.  Depends what the Islanders do in the expansion draft.  They have to choose between protecting him or Nick Leddy.  Tough choice.

Seems like an easy choice for the NYI, you protect the big tough RHD who makes less than a third of what Leddy does. Plus he is younger and has more term on his deal at under 2m and playing top 4 minutes on a legit playoff team. They would be fools to not protect him, guaranteed pick up by Seattle if so!

3 hours ago, stawns said:

Obviously JB wasn't convinced Madden was going to be an NHL player of any magnitude.........and it's looking like he was probably right 

Writing off a prospect after 1 full AHL year that happened to be during a pandemic. Madden does have a tough road ahead with his size or lack there of but writing him off now is a bit harsh. If he was Canuck property and he had the same year for Utica I am sure CDC would say it was a weird season during a pandemic and lets see what the kid can do down the highway in Abbotsford. Fans would still be jacked to have him as a prospect and think his upside is sky high and over the moon cause we always tend to think our prospects are the top dogs but in reality very few ever make the show let alone make  long career at it

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Seems like an easy choice for the NYI, you protect the big tough RHD who makes less than a third of what Leddy does. Plus he is younger and has more term on his deal at under 2m and playing top 4 minutes on a legit playoff team. They would be fools to not protect him, guaranteed pick up by Seattle if so!

Losing Leddy or Mayfield would be a huge loss.  Leddy had 31 points in 56 games.  Pulock was the next closest at 17.  They may very well leave Leddy unprotected.  But I am not sure how that helps them in the short term when they are in win now mode.  Maybe they make a deal with Seattle to not pick either guy. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Writing off a prospect after 1 full AHL year that happened to be during a pandemic. Madden does have a tough road ahead with his size or lack there of but writing him off now is a bit harsh. If he was Canuck property and he had the same year for Utica I am sure CDC would say it was a weird season during a pandemic and lets see what the kid can do down the highway in Abbotsford. Fans would still be jacked to have him as a prospect and think his upside is sky high and over the moon cause we always tend to think our prospects are the top dogs but in reality very few ever make the show let alone make  long career at it

Madden had a very bad concussion. His career might be over.

7 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Except Leddy is also a big part of that team and has been for a long time. I don’t think its as easy as you think since hes easily the best offensive dman they have.

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Madden had a very bad concussion. His career might be over.

When did that happen? I can’t find anything on it, as a matter of fact one of the Kings bloggers was talking a couple of weeks ago about rumours  of a possible Madden for DeBrusk swap with Boston.

13 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

When did that happen? I can’t find anything on it, as a matter of fact one of the Kings bloggers was talking a couple of weeks ago about rumours  of a possible Madden for DeBrusk swap with Boston.

I read it on HFboards a month or so ago. Guy seemed to know but i cant confirm. 

B9E402F7-4BB1-441F-9C3D-3A2B98950573.jpeg

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, EastVanCanuck said:

Because he is either Drance or one of his cronies Johnston or Sekeres.  

A more likely theory is that he feels his view is superior to all others on the board. So, to drive home his perspective is to repeat over and over the same lines despite us all knowing what he will say next because he has said it on 100 pages. His pride then stops him from accepting anything anyone else has to say.

3 hours ago, Schmautzie said:

Johnson is the one guy I hope is gone by the time the Canucks pick exactly because of his bust potential. I’m thinking McTavish is more of a can’t miss NHLer who would thrive in playoff style hockey.

Right. But I think because of his bust potential, he’s going to be there when the Canucks do have the opportunity to pick him. 

I hope McTavish is there as well at 9th. Who do you think is available if McTavish is gone by 9?