The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks announce coaching staff updates

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, 4petesake said:

When did that happen? I can’t find anything on it, as a matter of fact one of the Kings bloggers was talking a couple of weeks ago about rumours  of a possible Madden for DeBrusk swap with Boston.

Madden for DeBrusk? That would be a win for Los Angeles. 

Edited by N4ZZY

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Losing Leddy or Mayfield would be a huge loss.  Leddy had 31 points in 56 games.  Pulock was the next closest at 17.  They may very well leave Leddy unprotected.  But I am not sure how that helps them in the short term when they are in win now mode.  Maybe they make a deal with Seattle to not pick either guy. 

How much cap space does Leddy take, though? 

2 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

I get it; and i still would pass and give the Internal options a shot with Shaw first before before breaking the &^@#ing bank for Cernak.  Preferably, I hope the Staff figures out there side first before any (major) roster tweaking takes place.  

Looking forward to what Shaw can do.

Me too. Shaw seems like a really good hiring. I expect the defensive side of the team to be much better than this past year. 

4 hours ago, Schmautzie said:

Johnson is the one guy I hope is gone by the time the Canucks pick exactly because of his bust potential. I’m thinking McTavish is more of a can’t miss NHLer who would thrive in playoff style hockey.

Sorry I get nervous when people say "can't miss" with an NHL prospect. I've heard that a lot in the past with various players. And they wind up being 3-4th liners. 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Sorry I get nervous when people say "can't miss" with an NHL prospect. I've heard that a lot in the past with various players. And they wind up being 3-4th liners. 

Yes.   Can't miss often means they have high floors, like OJ and Podz.   McTavish is listed 5 by ISS and 9th by THN.   Hope he's available given he's fugly, and has size and he has a high floor.    Eklund might skip to us - as far as BPA between him and McTavish he's probably the BPA ...but we don't need another RW and he's tiny.    We need toughness and size throughout the lineup if we are going to last to the latter rounds in the playoffs.   For me at least this is a no brainer if he's available.   If he isn't and Johnson is, Johnson might be picked.    Johnson and Eklund probably are the two forwards with the highest ceilings this draft.  Curiously it's Eklund, that coaches say is a dream to coach, despite his short stature. 

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

How much cap space does Leddy take, though? 

$5.5 million.  The problem is who do you replace him with?  If you expose Leddy and he gets taken then your top 3 Dmen are all right shots plus you have Pelech.  So who plays with Pulock?

Pulock

Pelech   Dobson

Mayfield

Mayfield ends up on your 3rd pairing and you don't have anyone to play top minutes with Pulock.  Good luck finding a replacement for Leddy that is cheap.  A top pairing Dman even in free agency will cost you over $5 million so you are not saving any cap space.  

If you keep Leddy and trade Mayfield with someone like Ladd that would eliminate the cap issue, and you have your top 4 Dmen intact:

Leddy    Pulock

Pelech   Dobson

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

$5.5 million.  The problem is who do you replace him with?  If you expose Leddy and he gets taken then your top 3 Dmen are all right shots plus you have Pelech.  So who plays with Pulock?

Pulock

Pelech   Dobson

Mayfield

Mayfield ends up on your 3rd pairing and you don't have anyone to play top minutes with Pulock.  Good luck finding a replacement for Leddy that is cheap.  A top pairing Dman even in free agency will cost you over $5 million so you are not saving any cap space.  

If you keep Leddy and trade Mayfield with someone like Ladd that would eliminate the cap issue, and you have your top 4 Dmen intact:

Leddy    Pulock

Pelech   Dobson

Yeah, then maybe they keep Leddy and they try and attempt to trade Mayfield and get something of quality in return for him. Man, the Islanders have a plethora of RHD, something the Canucks need so desperately. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Pulock

Pelech   Dobson

Mayfield

Leddy    Pulock

Pelech   Dobson

Hence my proposal, given they're 'win now' and after the ED, of Schmidt for Dobson + Ladd (+/-).

They get to dump the last two years of Ladd, replace Leddy who gets taken in the ED, with Schmidt, and keep/protect Mayfield.

I grant it's no shoe-in, as Dobson is a hell of a piece to give up. But if they're trying to win now...

Pelech, Pulock

Schmidt, Mayfield

Edited by aGENT

Just now, Bertuzzipunch said:

Can we afford ladd for 2 years tho? Why isnt he playing in the playoffs, is he injured?

Ladd (waived)+Dobson actually saves us a few hundred k of cap next year over Schmidt.

The year after, he's owed a $3m bonus and only $1m of actual salary. Perhaps we can convince him to take the bonus and retire to his 'home town' in to a nice coaching/management gig in Abby...

He's had some injury issues (knee IIRC) and his skating hasn't been NHL level for a couple years now. Still a good leader and player/coach for our AHL squad though.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Ladd (waived)+Dobson actually saves us a few hundred k of cap next year over Schmidt.

The year after, he's owed a $3m bonus and only $1m of actual salary. Perhaps we can convince him to take the bonus and retire to his 'home town' in to a nice coaching/management gig in Abby...

He's had some injury issues (knee IIRC) and his skating hasn't been NHL level for a couple years now. Still a good leader and player/coach for our AHL squad though.

Thats too bad he sure was a hell of a player in his day. Dobson hey, i think NYI are super high on him arent they i doubt they trade him.

13 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Hence my proposal, given they're 'win now' and after the ED, of Schmidt for Dobson + Ladd (+/-).

They get to dump the last two years of Ladd, replace Leddy who gets taken in the ED, with Schmidt, and keep/protect Mayfield.

I grant it's no shoe-in, as Dobson is a hell of a piece to give up. But if they're trying to win now...

Pelech, Pulock

Schmidt, Mayfield

Leddy     Pulock

Pelech   Dobson

That's a much better top 4 in my opinion.  I think they need to package Mayfield with Ladd to free up cap space.  Dobson is going to be a stud.  They are not trading him just to keep Mayfield.

15 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Thats too bad he sure was a hell of a player in his day. Dobson hey, i think NYI are super high on him arent they i doubt they trade him.

I doubt it too. Hence why I said it's far from a shoe-in. He's a very good young player. But is he better than Schmidt + Mayfield + dumping Ladd the next few years while they're win now....? 

15 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Leddy     Pulock

Pelech   Dobson

That's a much better top 4 in my opinion.  I think they need to package Mayfield with Ladd to free up cap space.  Dobson is going to be a stud.  They are not trading him just to keep Mayfield.

But it's not just to keep Mayfield. They get to keep Mayfield, dump Ladd and replace a soon to be expiring Leddy with a younger, locked in for 3 additional years, Schmidt.

Again, I'm not suggesting this is a no brainer (and we'd likely need to add 'something'....if it's even possible). But the framework does potentially make some sense for both clubs.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, aGENT said:

I doubt it too. Hence why I said it's far from a shoe-in. He's a very good young player. But is he better than Schmidt + Mayfield +dunking Ladd the next few years while they're win now....? 

But it's not just to keep Mayfield. They get to keep Mayfield, dump Ladd and replace a soon to be expiring Leddy with a younger, locked in for 3 additional years, Schmidt.

Again, I'm not suggesting this is a no brainer (and we'd likely need to add 'something'....if it's even possible). But the framework does potentially make some sense for both clubs.

Absolutely it makes sense. Really makes sense for both teams.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Right. But I think because of his bust potential, he’s going to be there when the Canucks do have the opportunity to pick him. 

I hope McTavish is there as well at 9th. Who do you think is available if McTavish is gone by 9? 

I’m hoping Clarke falls to us if McTavish is taken early but I’m probably dreaming.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You’re right I should’ve said highest floor rather than “can’t miss”. If they get McTavish and he turns into our third line centre I think that’s a win. I’m worried in Kent Johnson we might get another Hunter Shinkaruk type that never makes it in the NHL.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Schmautzie said:

I’m hoping Clarke falls to us if McTavish is taken early but I’m probably dreaming.

Would be a fantastic get if one of Clark or McTavidh fall to us, but I think those two both go top five.  I’m just hoping we don’t draft Johnson or Gunther.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Pulock

Pelech   Dobson

Mayfield

Leddy    Pulock

Pelech   Dobson

Pelech-Pulock is their top pairing.  Leddy plays with Mayfield.  He has close to 700 minutes with Mayfield vs only 65 with Pulock at 5v5 this season per Natural Stat Trick.  

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Would be a fantastic get if one of Clark or McTavidh fall to us, but I think those two both go top five.  I’m just hoping we don’t draft Johnson or Gunther.  

I’d be happier with Guenther than Johnson. He looks like a natural goal scorer who isn’t just a perimeter player. I’d still prefer bigger bodies like McTavish or Clarke if available.

• Vintage 1

18 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

How’s JB right in that Madden wasn’t going to be an NHL player? Isn’t it a little too early to make that judgment? 

You missed the "of any magnitude" I guess.  He might get some NHL games, but I don't think there'll be many, if any.  Just my opinion