The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks announce coaching staff updates

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

This is the kinder, gentler me.

as a quick aside without wanting to further derail the topic, I just read my old warnings for s's and g's, and it's interesting to see how I've changed, too. back pre-2014, which is shockingly the most recent one I think, I was far more on the @wallstreetamigoside of things, far more critical of the team.

I'd like to think it's because my expectations scale based on where the team is at in their development, but there's a good chance I just view myself as an antagonistic voice of reason.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, tas said:

as a quick aside without wanting to further derail the topic, I just read my old warnings for s's and g's, and it's interesting to see how I've changed, too. back pre-2014, which is shockingly the most recent one I think, I was far more on the @wallstreetamigoside of things, far more critical of the team.

I'd like to think it's because my expectations scale based on where the team is at in their development, but there's a good chance I just view myself as an antagonistic voice of reason.

We all mellow with age.

:)

• Huggy Bear 2

1 minute ago, tas said:

I am viewed as a hater. I personally dont think criticizing is hating but others can see me how they want to.

The truth is, I find talking about issues the team has, what I think they need to do to improve, and being realistically critical far more interesting than simply pretending everything is perfect. To me that is boring.

I also find many responses I get are thought provoking, make me consider a different side, and interest me as far as a discussion goes far more than simply agreeing the Canucks are perfect as is or make excuses why they had no opportunity to be better than they are individually or as a team.

If you guys knew me irl you would totally understand why I look at things through the lens I do. But you dont so if you need to see me as a hater thats ok. I can tell you it has nothing to do with that.

I dislike alot of how the Canucks have done things. But I dont hate the Canucks, or Benning, or anyone else involved with the team. 

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, tas said:

I just looked. It looks like I have received one warning in my entire time on cdc.

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I am viewed as a hater. I personally dont think criticizing is hating but others can see me how they want to.

The truth is, I find talking about issues the team has, what I think they need to do to improve, and being realistically critical far more interesting than simply pretending everything is perfect. To me that is boring.

I also find many responses I get are thought provoking, make me consider a different side, and interest me as far as a discussion goes far more than simply agreeing the Canucks are perfect as is or make excuses why they had no opportunity to be better than they are individually or as a team.

If you guys knew me irl you would totally understand why I look at things through the lens I do. But you dont so if you need to see me as a hater thats ok. I can tell you it has nothing to do with that.

I dislike alot of how the Canucks have done things. But I dont hate the Canucks, or Benning, or anyone else involved with the team. 

When you say hughes plays the worst defense in the league i dunno if thats what u call just “criticizing”

especially when edler is on the same team lol

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

When you say hughes plays the worst defense in the league i dunno if thats what u call just “criticizing”

especially when edler is on the same team lol

Edler doesnt play bad defense. He just plays good defense with half the footspeed and reaction time.

• Haha 1

On 6/9/2021 at 1:36 PM, ShawnAntoski said:

pretty much guarantees an Edler resigning and the same usage.

Sounds like he wants to come back for another season. I was convinced he was going to retire after this year. The talking heads are murmuring about a reduced role at a team friendly rate for a one year deal. We'll see what happens. 

Im going to miss  Newell Brown. People seem to forget that he had our PP firing at 25% there a couple of seasons ago. We were near the top in the league. One bad season (due to COVID, bad schedule, injuries, bad reffing) and the guy gets axed? Seems a little harsh. I would have liked to see him get another 4 or 5 years with the team to show what he can do. 

• RoughGame 1

17 hours ago, tas said:

I like the subtle nod to the fact that fans and media demanded blood, any blood, and his was the easiest to spill. 

Thats a fair point but they did bring back the rest of the staff so that suggests they didnt feel much pressure to make changes.

I would have let Baumgartner go before Brown. But I think realistically both should have gone. Brown is a good coach in many ways but just went stale. It happens. Baumgartner just seems like he is not an effective coach at all.

Shaw is a good add. The other new guy I know nothing about. Seems like maybe he just has some connection to Benning or Green to get the job and its not clear what he will actually be doing. Would have much rather seen another experienced voice added.

• Vintage 1

I mean, he's a nice guy but I'm not trying to have a powerplay that stands around and wonders why they can't score. That's something that doesn't work anymore, and he refused to adapt for the entire season. The teams with the best PP also have the most movement on their powerplay, not really a coincidence. I don't care about 2011, adapt or get left behind.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

17 hours ago, FlyLow_ said:

I mean, he's a nice guy but I'm not trying to have a powerplay that stands around and wonders why they can't score. That's something that doesn't work anymore, and he refused to adapt for the entire season. The teams with the best PP also have the most movement on their powerplay, not really a coincidence. I don't care about 2011, adapt or get left behind.

I blame Gillis and all the NMCs!!!  :mad:

On 6/16/2021 at 9:33 AM, CptCanuck16 said:

Im going to miss  Newell Brown. People seem to forget that he had our PP firing at 25% there a couple of seasons ago. We were near the top in the league. One bad season (due to COVID, bad schedule, injuries, bad reffing) and the guy gets axed? Seems a little harsh. I would have liked to see him get another 4 or 5 years with the team to show what he can do. 

I think it was time for Newell. He's been in the league as a coach for a while now, and based on the optics of the situation, it looks like his effectiveness here had worn off. That being said, when the powerplay did click, it was really dangerous. The defense always looked like a complete mess in it's own end. Why Brown was canned but Bumgarter was kept on is beyond me. 

I know that Shaw has been hired to institute a far more effective and consistent approach to team defense, and that BumG will end up being his subordinate, but I'd have to assume that there are other up and coming assistant coaches who could replace him with ease.