The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

next year

Rate this topic

Vegan

Just to recap this last year:  

- We lost our MVP (Marky) 

- Our best forward missed more then half the year (Petey) 

- Nobody in the NHL had a regular pre-season and to make matters worst we had the worst schedule to start (and really the whole year) which didn't allow for practice time.  

- Our team was the worst hit with Covid in the entire league/north american sports. 

spacer.png

On 6/27/2021 at 6:02 PM, Vegan said:

hopefully next fall will be more normal and that hockey can return to some semblance of normality with the stands fill with fans

this year the canucks got out of sync with covid-19 and fell back several games so come playoffs no chance

so this coming season I am hoping the team can learn from the experience and step up to play better hockey

On 7/3/2021 at 3:01 PM, Vegan said:

Vancouver was 24th overall, they have to do better if they want 1/2 a chance in the playoffs

ummm really?  A covid ravaged year, a covid ravaged team just getting all the pieces together and developing our youth, all well having Petey out for an extended period of time and we beat some of the league's best teams in the process our team grew in experience of another year together and saw where we needed work but let's jump all over them shall we? duh... 

On 6/27/2021 at 11:10 PM, knucklehead91 said:

I think it effected the team in the way of chemistry/systems. We had a lot of new faces who didnt have the time to get acquainted to systems/linemate tendencies

it does to every team in our position with a steady turnstile of new guys and it takes time to get it all together but it'll happen, people just need to stop being so unrealistic about this team and relax.

• Vintage 1

I predict we will be 6-8 points outside of a playoff spot next year. Ultimately it'll be interesting to see some powerplay changes (could push us into a playoff spot alone) but I think Demko may have one of those sophomore starter seasons where there's a slight dip in his performance. I think Podkolzin will add some good depth to the forward group but his offensive production won't be super huge in his first year (I'm thinking 40-45 points) but his defensive game will be a huge boost to the team. If we use some of our good depth in guys like Bailey, Graovac, Macewan a bit more this team will be a playoff team as long as we stay healthy and Pearson gets pushed down to the third line but I lack faith in Travis Green. 

We squeek into the playoffs if: 

-we actually make adjustments to our powerplay and run it like we should with the talent we have

-use our quality 4th line players in Macewan, Motte, Bailey, Graovac and give them more ice time 
-allow our young offensive defensemen to play their games and take risks as opposed to stifling them for the sake of safe defense

Rathbone will be a big piece for this team unless we neuter his game. Our forward depth is perfect for high pressure offense but if we play too passively again we might as well get rid of these players. This team is actually pretty decent on paper (could use a top 4 dman and a top 6 winger) and can play well, it's just a big iffy season depending on how it is coached.