The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Tarasenko to Vancouver

34 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

St.Louis could get a heck of a lot more for Tarasenko in my opinion.

St Louis couldn't find a trade partner prior to the expansion draft. IMO, his value is really low. I like Senko as a buy low option so long as salary is retained on the other side.

I don’t think tarasenko could get a lot more due to 7.5 million for 2 years and the injury history.  There’s a reason STL hasn’t already traded him and a reason Seattle didn’t pick him. Could be a good deal but the Canucks would have 3 holes on defense and not a lot of cap space to fill those holes. If they have some d-men acquisitions lined up it could work. 

Likely the Canucks will have to fill a hole or two of theirs next off season anyways when they will have more cap space. 

I think if we trade Schmidt it will be to open up cap for another D.  I'd actually do that deal, but the problem is we'd still need to find a partner for Hughes.  Tarasenko's contract wouldn't be an issue next year and he's off the books when BO and Miller need to re-sign.  This would allow Podkolzin to grow into his role while Tarasenko plays in the top 6.  Bortuzzo could partner Juolevi.  

If we can get Hamonic to come back this could work, or even Hakanpaa.  Not sure if Hakanpaa can play with Hughes.

If he will be fit to play again then that actually wouldn't be a bad pickup.  Would be open to picking up Bortuzzo and he'd be a slightly lesser RD but one who brings size and defensive stability, so I'd be open to it.  Tarasenko would also be an intriguing pickup if we are in fact looking to bolster the top-6, he could really help since he's strong when it comes to puck battles, and he and Petey could do some damage working off of each other and sifting through guys in an expanded offensive role.

Miller - Petey - Tarasenko (tilt their responsibilities more for offense, and Petey would have two power-wingers and versatile setup men to work with)
Hoglander - Bo - Boeser (all 3 have strong two-way games, and Hoglander is a good assist man so Boeser probably doesn't suffer too much)
Pearson - Dickinson - Podkolzin (primary defensive unit, but the wings can counterpunch too, and they're a strong depth line) 

Hughes - ________
Rathbone - Myers
Juolevi - Bortuzzo

Edited by Phil_314
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Stech said:

St Louis couldn't find a trade partner prior to the expansion draft. IMO, his value is really low. I like Senko as a buy low option so long as salary is retained on the other side.

I wouldn't mind Senko I guess, but I'm not the biggest fan of his age.  Personally, I would much rather try and get someone much younger that would be both a short term and long term asset to us, and one that would immediately be a part of our Horvat, Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser, Demko faction.  Like a Sam Reinhart or even Matthew Tkachuk kind of guy.   If not one of those guys, then someone like Hoglander, Podkolzin, or Rathbone.  

Basically, bringing in young guys that will be around and in their primes once the Canucks enter the elite ranks.

3 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

I wouldn't mind Senko I guess, but I'm not the biggest fan of his age.  Personally, I would much rather try and get someone much younger that would be both a short term and long term asset to us, and one that would immediately be a part of our Horvat, Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser, Demko faction.  Like a Sam Reinhart or even Matthew Tkachuk kind of guy.   If not one of those guys, then someone like Hoglander, Podkolzin, or Rathbone.  

Basically, bringing in young guys that will be around and in their primes once the Canucks enter the elite ranks.

Who do you have in mind? Usually to get players like that you have to give one up as well.

I'm honestly confused about Tarasenko's value, but I would do this deal in a heartbeat based on my (possibly overrated) belief in Tarasenko . I think he's gonna bounce back pretty hard. His cap sucks but if they take Roussel it does damped the impact a bit -the next year the Canucks should be OK with it, if St Louis could retain even 20 percent that would be ideal. This update from the Steadman Clinic coach tells me he's motivated AF.

“Vlad’s shoulder is very stable and strong,” Millett said in an exclusive interview. “He told me it is more stable and stronger than it has felt in a long while. To me, it feels rock solid. There is no doubt, Vlad will be 100 percent ready for the upcoming season. I am confident he will be ready to play and that he will make a big impact for his team.”

In the meantime, Tarasenko is working out twice a day with high-performance trainers under Millet’s supervision at Steadman. He has a two-hour morning session that begins at 7 a.m., and there’s an afternoon session as well.

“Vlad is a pretty quiet and stoic guy, and his son (Mark) is, too,” Millett said. “But it was funny, when they were in my office, (Tarasenko) told me he and his son were doing twice-a-day workouts with the performance coach, and his son rolled his eyes. He wasn’t too happy about the early-morning wake-up calls.”

But Tarasenko is eager when the alarm clock goes off, motivated by the fact that some don’t think he’ll be the same player again. After three surgeries on the same shoulder in 28 months, he has a chip on it now.

4 hours ago, Stech said:

Who do you have in mind? Usually to get players like that you have to give one up as well.

My hope was something around Miller, 9OA, and Schmidt for Tkachuk, 11OA, and Andersson.  Would suck to lose Miller but a guy like MT would be closer to the core’s age range and would be head long term.  I figured a guy like Tkachuk might be able to be had since he’s had a bit of a falling out of sorts in Calgary.   

Sam Reinhart from Buffalo is yet another guy.

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

My hope was something around Miller, 9OA, and Schmidt for Tkachuk, 11OA, and Andersson.  Would suck to lose Miller but a guy like MT would be closer to the core’s age range and would be head long term.  I figured a guy like Tkachuk might be able to be had since he’s had a bit of a falling out of sorts in Calgary.   

Sam Reinhart from Buffalo is yet another guy.

Let the POS continue to fall out of sorts with the Cow Pies. Don't want that gutless punk anywhere near our team. 

• Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Let the POS continue to fall out of sorts with the Cow Pies. Don't want that gutless punk anywhere near our team. 

He hits like a truck and scored 34 goals in 2”18-2019.   Claude Lemieux and Brad Marchand are/were gutless pukes as well and they turned out to be pretty damn good.  Alex Burrows didn’t exactly have the greatest reputation either.  Would you not want peak Alex Burrows on the team either?

Would love to see Tarasenko on the Canucks, it is a risk but I feel he has this vendetta against the Blues and the supposed botched surgery and has gone out and had his surgery done elsewhere and all reports seem to say he feels great.

I know Schmidt isn't the ideal player to move for him, but he has some value but more term which may not excite the Blues? Unless they take LE and a pick or Roussel plus it all depends how desperate they are. Sounds like they want to dump his 7.5m to try and give that or even more maybe to Landeskog, a player I would love us to sign and play with Petey and would be willing to trade Miller to clear cap room to afford it as I think he is a better fit for our culture. Like Miller just hate seeing the sulking on the ice, even if he is mad you are a pro and fans and your team see that it gets old real quick imo

IMO you don't buy to pay for scoring

You draft your skill like Oilers, Islanders ,Hawks  (before there even was a cap and still holds true) and then add complimentary pieces to build a team that gels and enjoys playing together

Buying high rarely works am i right Loui, Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Holtby, Ferland  etc ? ( Low value guys you'd have to throw sweeteners in to off load)

We need a better vision of Buying unproven players at low prices, instead of paying more than what any other NHL team will and being stuck with them

13 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Russian mentor for Podkolzin for 2 years anyone? Top 6 RW goal scorer who is Russian...

Tarasenko 7.5m

Bortuzzo 1.4m

for

Schmidt 5.9m

Roussel 3m/Virtanen 2.55m(doubtful to trade)

I'd be game.  He'd make an immediate impact with our team and be a perfect Russian mentor to Podz.  Even just Tarasenko for Schmidt and call it a day.  We can fill D spots through FA and other trades.  I don't fully understand it unless it's injury related, but Tarasenko's value must be close to zero combined with the contract, otherwise Seattle would have taken him and then flipped him.

• Cheers 1