The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

4 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

Maybe, but it is the longest trade CDC thread ever. Can we lock it now? Trades over.

4 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

To what avail? Just so someone can open a "OEL, do we really need him" and everyone can vent somewhere else?

As long as there are still people comparing OEL to Hughes (see below), this thread needs to stay open :lol:

4 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Wow didnt realize we were talking about offence.image.gif.09669bbc175243edaa981b2491495522.gif

Hughes plays DEFENCE… or does he? Not only that but Hughes is deployed against WEAKER competition whereas OEL takes on top lines yet Hughes gets scored on nearly the same amount.

5v5

OEL HDCA 204

Hughes HDCA 233

whats goin on Hughes??? So much Ozone time and so many chances against in HIGH DANGER AREAS.  Not to mention Hughes primary deployment is offensive zone

5v5

OEL HDGA: 29
Hughes HDGA: 30

sup bro?? Why does Hughes have more high danger goals AND more high danger chances against with primary offensive deployment???? Care to explain????? Oh and by the looks of it, either the goalie is bailing Hughes out by making big saves, or the goalie is letting OEL down because the goalies sv% is significantly lower

how about MDCA and MDGA

OEL MDCA: 253       

Hughes MDCA: 262

OEL MDGA: 17

Hughes MDGA: 14

Once again more chances against, slightly less goals against.

5v5 

OEL LDCA: 354     LDGA: 14

Hughes LDCA: 379 LDGA: 5

right here is the prime example or poor goaltending when OEL is on the ice. Nearly 3x the low danger goals against with 25 less attempts.

5v5 oiGA

OEL 57

Hughes 51 

Everyone sh*ts on OEL for the amount of goals he is in for…. Whats Hughes excuse??? He has 9 less low danger goals against and only has 6 fewer total goals against at 5v5.

OEL and Myers were one of the BEST shutdown dpairs last season IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE. What changed? THEIR PARTNERS. 

Teams are scoring on Hughes with significantly lower zone time than OEL, whos primary deployment is dzone. OEL is PK over PP. Expired penalties, dzone draws all lead to more offensive opportunities, yet Hughes is allowing more than the guy who kills penalties and takes dzone duties.

See Hughes needs someone to babysit him (Schenn) hence all the high danger chances he gives up with very little dzone time compared to  OEL and Myers who are the ones doing the baby sitting for their pairs. Stillman, Rathbone, Burroughs etc….. and Myers and OEL take more dzone responsibility with their baby sitting job.

Our goalies have also made our D look bad MANY times this season. The worst combined sv% in the league.

The underlying numbers are chances given up and where teams are scoring from when these 2 are on the ice. If OEL had the same oiSV% as Hughes, his goals against would drop quite a bit. Overall if OEL had the same oiSV% as Hughes he would have been on the ice for 47 goals against, 4 fewer. If you break it down further and OEL had the same sv% in each area (High, medium and low)

HDGA 26 (was 29)

MDGA 13.5 round up to 14 (was 17)

LDGA 4 (was 14)

total 44, 7 fewer goals against than Hughes with more dzone deployment. HELLOOOOO do you comprehend????

Overall Hughes has allowed 58 more chances against playing a primary offensive role. OEL has reduced his chances against in every single aspect 5v5, goaltending has been severely inconsistent and allowed quite a few weak goals in when OEL is on the ice, hence the 14 LOW DANGER goals.

You sir are ignorant and lazy, unwilling to look into actual stats. You come here making statements with ZERO factual proof to back your blind statement.

This is a fair statement: You watch the sport, but dont understand the sport.

hahahahahh here you are trying to talk about a sport you have most likely never played… and certainly do not understandimage.gif.07e45ae9867df956f318e8b8bccc773c.gif

P.S. 5v5 OEL has 1 less goal at 5v5 and only 11 fewer points. Sup wit dat?

2 hours ago, dougieL said:

As long as there are still people comparing OEL to Hughes (see below), this thread needs to stay open :lol:

And as long as there are mouth breathers like you around, we’ll have plenty to laugh at :lol:

some name DougieL

image.gif.e5caaca0ff8aa760334bce0e7b33cf82.gif
it all makes sense now

Edited by AnthonyG

3 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

@dougieL Wheres the defence on that Anaheim 2nd goal? Oh wait that was Hughes’s guy

in the words of John Garrett “blown coverage”

Right and OEL hasn't looked incredibly stupid even once this season :lol:

Edited by dougieL

11 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Wolanin is playing better, for a fraction of the cost. At this point, if OEL is able to be bought out (off of I/R), I think it’s pretty much a done deal.

How much dead cap are we stuck with after his buyout 

8 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Wolanin is playing better, for a fraction of the cost. At this point, if OEL is able to be bought out (off of I/R), I think it’s pretty much a done deal.

Buying him out will only extend his stay on the books and Wolanin is a good find based on his salary - but he only signed a 1yr deal.

Preferably, they trade him with the maximum allowed salary retention for 4yrs, instead of 4+.  Plus, only 2/3 years after the trade and we are already seeing why Tocchet was benching him in Arizona.  

16 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

It will extend his stay on the books for 8yrs and it will cost, one of the genius that made this trade happen: 2.4xx per year till 2030-31.  The actual cap hit per year varies but the avg amount is 2.5xx per year for 8 years, if the Canucks decide to buy him out this June.  Plausible but I prefer they find a taker this offseason - but it will cost assets and money retention for 4yrs, to clean up this mess

Edited by ShawnAntoski

21 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

It will extend his stay on the books for 8yrs and it will cost, one of the genius that made this trade happen: 2.4xx per year till 2030-31.  The actual cap hit per year varies but the avg amount is 2.5xx per year for 8 years, if the Canucks decide to buy him out this June.  Plausible but I prefer they find a taker this offseason - but it will cost assets and money retention for 4yrs, to clean up this mess

So for the buyout I fear that there will be a year of like 6mill in dead cap. Preventing us to re sign a core player. At this point if we can find a guy to play 3ld for league minimum (like wolianen) I say we staple OEL to the press box as a 7d for the remainder of his contract or he retires.

We can even expedite that process if we send him to Abby and get 1m cap relief to offset the cost of wolianen.

We gave up a first to get this plug. I'm not willing to give up another one to ship him out so he can ride into the sunset. He needs to be held accountable.

Edited by 73 Percent

45 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

His cap hit next year would be almost zero. Then it’s 2.3M, $4.8M, and $4.8M. When you can get similar or better production from an AHL call-up making under a million, those savings are huge.

The issue is the following 4 years, with a $2.1M hit where if the contract was allowed to just run its course, we’d be free and clear of it. If management was pushing a long-term rebuild, it would make more sense to just ride it out. But the goal is clearly to compete over the next 4 years. If it doesn’t work, we’ll be blowing it up. And even if it does work, the projected rising salary cap may make the $2.1M much more manageable.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

So for the buyout I fear that there will be a year of like 6mill in dead cap. Preventing us to re sign a core player. At this point if we can find a guy to play 3ld for league minimum (like wolianen) I say we staple OEL to the press box as a 7d for the remainder of his contract or he retires.

We can even expedite that process if we send him to Abby and get 1m cap relief to offset the cost of wolianen.

We gave up a first to get this plug. I'm not willing to give up another one to ship him out so he can ride into the sunset. He needs to be held accountable.

I think OELs No Movement Clause will prevent us from sending him down. I can't see him agreeing to that. 

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

Yeah, next three seasons will be the highest at 4.7xx per year.  Allvin keeps saying the word "accountability" and I wonder what he really means.  Hopefully, being reunited with the coach that was benching him in Arizona (Tocchet), will have a different outcome.

I agree a buyout would be painful and that there really are no good options. One way to think about the buyout option is that, while it drags the pain out for longer, the total cap expenditure is about $9m less (i.e., around $29m just keeping him vs around $20m buying him out). 

But the real question is why people are even entertaining the thought of buying out a guy who has comparable underlying numbers to Quinn Hughes while playing much tougher minutes. What's up with that bro???? :lol::lol: