The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 NHL Entry Draft

4 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Hey guys. Assuming we pick 12-14 what are the options do you think for the Canucks?

BPA I think Yurov makes it to us Lambert would be a good pickup too. Kemell is gone, as is Savioe, Nemec Jiricek, Cooley, Slafkovski Wright.  

If no home run top 9 pick falls in our lap a la Podkolzin, Hughes.

I want someone with an exceptional translatable rare skill or ability. The reality is I don't see a whole lot of what I would call projectable top 6 players with much reliability. Mesar Nazar Geekie Gauthier Howard Casey Mateychuk are good prospects and I'm sure many of them will be a very successful NHL players. I'm just not excited enough to pick them over another player I feel more confident will carve out a defined role in the NHL and fits my vision of the direction of the team. 

3C candidates 

Beck FO wiz accurate snappy shot excellent awareness positionally makes smart aggressive reads to hold a team under pressure.

Kaspar Infuriating presence under the hashmarks with a chippy attitude. Excellent special teams PK PP 

Gaucher Big shut down C great in transition and can really lug the puck across the line offensively or defensively. Excellent PK

Wingers.

I like Nyman aside from and on another level Slafkovski. Nyman is probably the most pro translatable power winger in this class. 

Lekkerimaki Kid can shoot! I would probably leave him in the SHL for 2 years cook him slowly he's probably the highest ceiling guy I would pick at 12-14.

Trikozov Politically it's risky assuming things go back to normal he would be the first winger on this list. 

D

RD Ryan Chesley If Chris Tanev could shoot!

LD Lian Bichsel Best skating 6'+ player in the draft but he's 6'5 and lets em know it. Not as skilled as Edvinsson but more aggressive and better defensively. 

RD Nelson highest ceiling PMD wicked shot plays like a warthog. 

LD Korchinski he's probably the most projectable top 4D left at 12-14

HM Mintyukov, Ohgren. 

Sooo I dunno I'd probably trade down if someone special doesn't drop to us and get 2 of the players mentioned above. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, hammertime said:

BPA I think Yurov makes it to us Lambert would be a good pickup too. Kemell is gone, as is Savioe, Nemec Jiricek, Cooley, Slafkovski Wright.  

I want someone with an exceptional translatable rare skill or ability. The reality is I don't see a whole lot of what I would call projectable top 6 players with much reliability. Mesar Nazar Geekie Gauthier Howard Casey Mateychuk are good prospects and I'm sure many of them will be a very successful NHL players. I'm just not excited enough to pick them over another player I feel more confident will carve out a defined role in the NHL and fits my vision of the direction of the team. 

3C candidates 

Beck FO wiz accurate snappy shot excellent awareness positionally makes smart aggressive reads to hold a team under pressure.

Kaspar Infuriating presence under the hashmarks with a chippy attitude. Excellent special teams PK PP 

Gaucher Big shut down C great in transition and can really lug the puck across the line offensively or defensively. Excellent PK

Wingers.

I like Nyman aside from and on another level Slafkovski. Nyman is probably the most pro translatable power winger in this class. 

Lekkerimaki Kid can shoot! I would probably leave him in the SHL for 2 years cook him slowly he's probably the highest ceiling guy I would pick at 12-14.

Trikozov Politically it's risky assuming things go back to normal he would be the first winger on this list. 

D

LD Lian Bichsel Best skating 6'+ player in the draft but he's 6'5 and lets em know it. Not as skilled as Edvinsson but more aggressive and better defensively. 

HM Mintyukov, Ohgren. 

Sooo I dunno I'd probably trade down if someone special doesn't drop to us and get 2 of the players mentioned above. 

If we were to trade down, there's a couple other prospects we should look closely at as well. If Miroshnichenko is still available anywhere after 25-30, I think you've gotta roll the dice. Could easily be a perennial 35-40 goal threat. Not outside the realm of possibility he could peak at 50 goals and 100 points. In my opinion he would be the number one reason to trade back.

I'm currently infatuated with Noah Ostlund and that entire Djurgarden line. Grant McCagg of Recrutes, who was formerly an actual NHL scout for Montreal, has Ohgren 3rd and Lekkerimaki 4th. That got me back watching Hlinkas, and I noticed a couple things. 1. I think Leo Carlsson is the clearcut number 3 for 2023 right now. This guy is literally a mutant. So strong down low, deceptive in tight spaces, highly skilled, responsible two-way player. Reminds me a lot of Sasha Barkov. 2.Noah Ostlund is a dangerously effective and efficient hockey player. So fast, so quick, so smart. I wonder what's the most first round picks a single program has had in one year (not including national team programs)? Could Djurgardens have 4 this year in Lekkerimaki, Ohgren, Ostlund, Odelius? Djurgardens just got relegated today. Those kids are going to eat the Allsvenskan alive next year.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, hammertime said:

3C candidates 

Wingers.

D

HM Mintyukov, Ohgren. 

Considering what’s going on with the Russian Invasion of Ukraine and how they are becoming an isolated and hated state, maybe we should not draft from there?  

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Considering what’s going on with the Russian Invasion of Ukraine and how they are becoming an isolated and hated state, maybe we should not draft from there?  

Or maybe its an opportunity to get a really excellent player who is motivated to play in NA. In 2 years all anyone will be talking about is Donald Trump. 

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

Or maybe its an opportunity to get a really excellent player who is motivated to play in NA. In 2 years all anyone will be talking about is Donald Trump. 

With the war crimes the Russian soldiers are committing, there will be trials ongoing for several years, which will keep the 

Russian state in isolation and hated.  Drafting Russians from their leagues would not be wise.  We can find good talent from all other countries’ leagues.  

If we're drafting 14th I'm looking at Arizona for their picks in the 2nd round and I think 26th or 29th.

I have a feeling due to Russia's issues and now the draft that players will be very much second look instead of first choice.

We could easily grab some amazing fallers by adding 3 picks in the late 1st to early 2nd

Let's say the Hockey Gods smile down on the Canucks and VAN gets the #2.

Do they take:

Forward - Cooley or Slafkovsky

Defense - Nemec or Jiricek

?  I'd be very tempted to take the D. Other than Hughes, they haven't drafted an impactful Dman with the 1st in many years. RIP Luc

Looking at teams like FLA with Ekblad, TB with Hedman  and Sergachev, DAL with Heiskanen, etc.  Big, physical #1 Dmen.  Mind you, Nemec and Jiricek will both still need to mature, but they aren't small players.  Love Hughes, but he's a different kind of player altogether. Is he a forward who plays D?  Is he a throwback from a hundred years ago and  Quinn is a rover? 

I think the Canucks still need that big, physical 1st pairing Dman, who skates well and has a bomb of a shot. Not sure if Nemec or Jiricek will have these qualities at the NHL level one day.  Maybe Jiricek?

7 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Do they take:

?  I'd be very tempted to take the D. Other than Hughes, they haven't drafted an impactful Dman with the 1st in many years. RIP Luc

Looking at teams like FLA with Ekblad, TB with Hedman  and Sergachev, DAL with Heiskanen, etc.  Big, physical #1 Dmen.  Mind you, Nemec and Jiricek will both still need to mature, but they aren't small players.  Love Hughes, but he's a different kind of player altogether. Is he a forward who plays D?  Is he a throwback from a hundred years ago and  Quinn is a rover? 

I think the Canucks still need that big, physical 1st pairing Dman, who skates well and has a bomb of a shot. Not sure if Nemec or Jiricek will have these qualities at the NHL level one day.  Maybe Jiricek?

BPA regardless of draft position. For me that's Slafkovsky but an argument could be made for Nemec as well.

• Thanks 1

Ah, it’s gotten to this point hasn’t it. Season’s over for us. 

I’m not familiar with a lot of the names thrown out there in this thread, but all I have to say is, BPA regardless of position. If one of the high end RHD’s are available where we’re picking, then that’s even better that it would be BPA and positional need. 

I hope we move up 10 spots, but knowing the hockey gods, and the fact that we’ve never won the draft, I highly doubt we move up 10 spots from where we are. It would be amazing if we drafted 3rd. It’d have to be Nemec or Jiricek, no? Those are the top RHD’s in this year’s draft aren’t they?

17 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Do they take:

9 hours ago, Stech said:

BPA regardless of draft position. For me that's Slafkovsky but an argument could be made for Nemec as well.

Yeah pretty much what Stech said. I know people like to argue that "if it's close enough, you should pick for need." But I think there is general agreement that Cooley and Slafkovsky are a clear step up from Nemec or Jiricek. Also agree Nemec is closer than Jiricek.

I've heard this argument in favor of Jiricek over Nemec a few times - that Jiricek should get the edge because he's a big physical D and will have added value in playoffs. But all of those considerations are already built into the assessments and rankings. If it was purely based on talent and hockey IQ, Nemec is far and away the better player, but when you add in Jiricek's size and physical edge, it's closer, but Nemec is still the better prospect (by some margin, in my opinion).

On 4/4/2022 at 8:39 AM, HighOnHockey said:

Yeah pretty much what Stech said. I know people like to argue that "if it's close enough, you should pick for need." But I think there is general agreement that Cooley and Slafkovsky are a clear step up from Nemec or Jiricek. Also agree Nemec is closer than Jiricek.

I've heard this argument in favor of Jiricek over Nemec a few times - that Jiricek should get the edge because he's a big physical D and will have added value in playoffs. But all of those considerations are already built into the assessments and rankings. If it was purely based on talent and hockey IQ, Nemec is far and away the better player, but when you add in Jiricek's size and physical edge, it's closer, but Nemec is still the better prospect (by some margin, in my opinion).

I take elite hockey IQ over physical attributes if I had to choose. Simply because it's harder to develop hockey IQ, than it is physically. 

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I take elite hockey IQ over physical attributes if I had to choose. Simply because it's harder to develop hockey IQ, than it is physically. 

Ill take Eric Lindros over Paul Kariya. But in the end physical attributes or not Scott ended them. In this case I think I still take Nemec he plays well through all kinds of adversity. Jiricek is a bit chaotic love him one minute curse him the next. 

4 hours ago, KyGuy123 said:

We don’t have a second round pick this year. Went in the OEL Garland trade.

Of course the 2nd isn’t there. Benning seems to give those away like they’re peanuts. 

10 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Of course the 2nd isn’t there. Benning seems to give those away like they’re peanuts. 

There's been some support expressed for trading back. Moving back 5-10 spots gets at least a second. Widely variant opinions about a lot of things in this draft, including where are the dropoffs. I have them around 4, 12 and 25, so if we're slated to pick around 15, I would say if any of the top 12 fall, just take it and run; if not, I would strongly consider trading back. Not too much difference between 15 and 24, so can trade back a few spots and add a 2nd and probably still get one of the players you liked at 15.

Tons of intriguing options that should be available after the dropoff around 25-27, including Noah Ostlund, Elias Salomonsson, Ludwig Persson, Calle Odelius, Filip Bystedt, Ryan Greene, Rieger Lorenz, Danil Zhilkin, Owen Beck, Mats Lindgren, Luca Belluz, Adam Ingram, David Goyette, Jack Hughes, Jani Nyman, Simon Forsmark, Artem Duda.

Some will go at the end of the 1st round, perhaps a couple will even sneak into that top 25. My best guesses would be Odelius, Goyette, Zhilkin, Belluz - those OHLers are being badly overlooked by fans and media due to the lost development year. Goyette in particular might really shock and find his way into the top 15 or so. Even though he's 17, his numbers aren't that far off from Perfetti's rookie year.