The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 NHL Entry Draft

I would like to make a point about the draft

Stl #9 vs Col #2, Tampa #8 vs Florida #1, Cal #6 vs Edm, #11 and Carolina #3 vs NYR #7 All have multiple top 5 picks, except StL.

Tampa..............Stamkos #1 OA, Headman #1 OA

STL...................Schenn #5

Col....................Landeskog #2, MCkinnon #1, Makar #4, Erik Johnson #1

Florida..............Reinhart #2, Barkov #2, Huberdeau #3, Bennett #4, Thornton #1, Ekblad #1

Cal....................Lindholme #5, Hanifin #5, Gudbranson #3

Edmonton........McDavid #1, Draisaitl #2, RNH #1, Puljujarvi #4, Kane #4, Turris #3

Carolina...........Svechnikov #2, Niederrieter #5, Staal #2

NYR.................Strome #5, Kakko #2, Lafreniere #1, 

9 .............#1's

7 .............#2's

3..............#3's

4..............#4's

5..............#5's

Now, if you look even further, you will find many more top 10 OA players, and the teams are littered with mid to late 1st Round picks and well as more top of the 2nd round picks.

Now, they might not all be playing for their draft clubs, but when you break down the position  of the picks and consider the amount of top 2 picks, it averages out at 2 top 2 picks per team..................

To me it is very clear that, contending teams, have benefited from both top end drafting and good trades that include top end draft picks. Just as important as those top end picks are the picks just outside of the top 5, and there are many.

Nothing does your team better than good scouting and Luck, but those top end players you get near the top of the draft, just put you so far ahead. It is why teams do not give them up easily, and why they are so expensive................

PS.............I may have missed 1 or 2  top 5 picks, but it is a sizable number, at any rate.

Edited by J.I.A.H.N
  • Like 3

On 5/22/2022 at 2:19 AM, NUCKER67 said:

1. Wright

2. Slafkovsky

3. Jiricek

4. Cooley

5. Nemec

6. Kemell

7. Gauthier

8. Nazar

9. Lekkerimaki

10. Lambert

11. Mintyukov

12. Korchinski

13. McGroarty

14. Kasper

15. Snuggerud

Savoie - drops because of his size

Yurov - drops because he's Russian

Mate, Savoie is only an inch shorter than Cooley and has five pounds on him. 

Not saying your rankings are wrong, we all have our opinions however I don't think his size will be a problem.

Edited by Ilunga

3 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Stl #9 vs Col #2, Tampa #8 vs Florida #1, Cal #6 vs Edm, #11 and Carolina #3 vs NYR #7 All have multiple top 5 picks, except StL.

Florida..............Reinhart #2, Barkov #2, Huberdeau #3, Bennett #4, Thornton #1, Ekblad #1

Edmonton........McDavid #1, Draisaitl #2, RNH #1, Puljujarvi #4, Kane #4, Turris #3

9 .............#1's

7 .............#2's

3..............#3's

4..............#4's

5..............#5's

Now, if you look even further, you will find many more top 10 OA players, and the teams are littered with mid to late 1st Round picks and well as more top of the 2nd round picks.

Now, they might not all be playing for their draft clubs, but when you break down the position  of the picks and consider the amount of top 2 picks, it averages out at 2 top 2 picks per team..................

To me it is very clear that, contending teams, have benefited from both top end drafting and good trades that include top end draft picks. Just as important as those top end picks are the picks just outside of the top 5, and there are many.

Nothing does your team better than good scouting and Luck, but those top end players you get near the top of the draft, just put you so far ahead. It is why teams do not give them up easily, and why they are so expensive................

PS.............I may have missed 1 or 2  top 5 picks, but it is a sizable number, at any rate.

Good post Jan 

Colorado's top 10 pick in 2015, Mikko Rantanen has been a beauty to.

After his first full season in the NHL  he has been over a PPG player. 

I remember drafting him in the CDCGML that year. 

Edited by Ilunga
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

9 .............#1's

7 .............#2's

3..............#3's

4..............#4's

5..............#5's

Don’t forget Calgary got Matthew Tkachuk at number 6.  I won’t mention who passed on him;)

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Not saying your rankings are wrong, we all have our opinions however I don't think his size will be a problem.

Fair enough, I still need to watch a lot more video and read more scouting assessments. Savoie in particular, he might be very skilled, but at 5'9", I'm not sure that does well in NHL payoff hockey.

Saying that though, I guess Gaudreau has done okay for himself during these playoffs for a 5'9" player (13 pts in 10 games)

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Cheers 1

Savoie - My first impression is he reminds me of Point or Gaudreau, with Caufield's shot. Not as good on the wall as Garland, doesn't have the same elite skating and hands. What else stood out in the videos I've seen, there was absolutely no hitting. ?? Savoie looks free to find space, plenty of time to take whatever shot he wants. The NHL doesn't work that way.  The D is a lot bigger, better and nastier.

Point was a 3rd rounder, Gaudreau was a 4th rounder, Garland was a 5th rounder. Sometimes you find the gems late. I would be hesitant to take Savoie in the Top 10. But if he fell to #15, then I think they'd need to consider him. I'd still be nervous for him in the big leagues, hoping the Canucks take a player with some size with the #15.  Conor Geekie?.

10 hours ago, Ilunga said:

I believe Detroit takes Savoie

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I have him staying put in WPG (#14). 

I think the Canucks take (LD) Kevin Korchinski, and I would be okay with that.

He's got size, very good skater, fast and smooth, makes smart plays. Defends well, but he'll also jump up in the play and try to score. If he gets caught, he's quick enough that he can usually get back to defend. Seems really steady, runs the PP. 

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I have him staying put in WPG (#14). 

I think the Canucks take (LD) Kevin Korchinski, and I would be okay with that.

He's got size, very good skater, fast and smooth, makes smart plays. Defends well, but he'll also jump up in the play and try to score. If he gets caught, he's quick enough that he can usually get back to defend. Seems really steady, runs the PP. 

If Kasper is gone then I see JR trading down.  We can very likely get similar prospects to the rest available at 15 with picks in rounds two and three.  I can see 15OA for two seconds, or an early second and an early third.  

17 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

9 .............#1's

7 .............#2's

3..............#3's

4..............#4's

5..............#5's

Correction for ya, Hedman was 2nd overall, right behind Tavares, but at the time, I thought Hedman was the better player, and still do.

Good post though.

It should be noted that since Canucks can NEVER win the draft lottery, we're not allowed to have nice things.... ;)

Edited by VegasCanuck

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

So you think he will go 8th brother ? 

I am so torn in regards to my second and fifth picks.

I know this is fantasy wise and I am relying on not just the quality of the player but also teams participation in playoffs. 

You think jersey will probably pick Slavkofsky and he will play with Hughes ?

Cooley will probably gone by my fifth and so will Jiricek.

If Savoie is still there I will pick him however if he is not I am not sold on Nemec, as a point scorer. 

I have got some ideas about point scoring D-men for my actual pick which will be mid to late 20's, I am in the playoffs however will probably be out this round.

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Correction for ya, Hedman was 2nd overall, right behind Tavares, but at the time, I thought Hedman was the better player, and still do.

Good post though.

It should be noted that since Canucks can NEVER win the draft lottery, we're not allowed to have nice things.... ;)

I too would take Hedman over Tavares any day of the week. 

I don't get why many Canucks fans think the world is against them.

We can't win the lottery, the NHL tell the refs to rig our games, taxes. 

Good management builds a winning environment, and a winning environment attracts good/ great players who will want to play for a team, and maybe take a bit less to win. 

Living in Vancouver alone is worth a lot.

I have travelled the world skiing, I live on a ten acre farm on the outskirts of Melbourne, surf and bikinis just over an hour from home, ski hill, just under 3 hours.  Vancouver is one of the few places I would consider moving to.

Both our cities are consistently rated as some of the best places to live in. 

Vancouver is a selling point to a player IMO. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Ilunga said:

So you think he will go 8th brother ? 

I am so torn in regards to my second and fifth picks.

I know this is fantasy wise and I am relying on not just the quality of the player but also teams participation in playoffs. 

You think jersey will probably pick Slavkofsky and he will play with Hughes ?

Cooley will probably gone by my fifth and so will Jiricek.

If Savoie is still there I will pick him however if he is not I am not sold on Nemec, as a point scorer. 

I have got some ideas about point scoring D-men for my actual pick which will be mid to late 20's, I am in the playoffs however will probably be out this round.

I get the issues people have with Savoie but I have seen Yzerman time and again.  If his player is not there, Savoie checks almost every single box that Det needs.  A smart, super fast playmaking RHC 

Yzerman was drafted at 5 foot 9 and 170 pounds.  

Look at both their scouting bios and JR careers.

I see a lot of Yzerman in Savoie.  We're not gonna see a 60 goal season from Savoie but an 80 point average centre with Raymond and Seider...ya totally.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

9 .............#1's

7 .............#2's

3..............#3's

4..............#4's

5..............#5's

Good post Jan and Absolutely....

but for Vancouvers rotten luck, its not gonna happen that way for us, unfortunately....

Every flipping draft we've lost 2-3 places, when we were in line to get a nice pick, while the greasy Oilers, who was the main reason the draft had to be changed, still managed to get the better picks (together with Rags and Isles lately)....

We had Guddy here, and was a disaster, while playing for us...

But yes this clearly shows the advantages of having top picks in your line up. 

Guess we will have to do it like Blues did :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Good post Jan and Absolutely....

but for Vancouvers rotten luck, its not gonna happen that way for us, unfortunately....

Every flipping draft we've lost 2-3 places, when we were in line to get a nice pick, while the greasy Oilers, who was the main reason the draft had to be changed, still managed to get the better picks (together with Rags and Isles lately)....

We had Guddy here, and was a disaster, while playing for us...

But yes this clearly shows the advantages of having top picks in your line up. 

Guess we will have to do it like Blues did :rolleyes:

My focus is to move up and get a top 5

Is it cheap...........nope!

Is it a must? Pretty much! IMO

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

My focus is to move up and get a top 5

Is it cheap...........nope!

Is it a must? Pretty much! IMO

Those top five are a lock for great players at their position.

I do think Nemec will be more defence orientated, which is what a D- man should be, he will chip in points.

Would love Jiricek, I think he has the potential to be the complete package.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

I do think Nemec will be more defence orientated, which is what a D- man should be, he will chip in points.

Jiricek is my favourite d man in this draft as well.  He has all the signs of a sure fire #2.  A complete defence man.  I’m not sure how high his point ceiling is but his intelligence, pick moving, defending is all top notch.

In our range at 15th I like Kasper, Lambert and Mintuykov.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

i think either Jiricek or Nemec would be just fine, but my info is that Nemec is more complete than Jiricek, and displays both offense and defense.

There has to be a reason he is consistently ranked higher than Jircek (as high as #2)

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Jiricek is my favourite d man in this draft as well.  He has all the signs of a sure fire #2.  A complete defence man.  I’m not sure how high his point ceiling is but his intelligence, pick moving, defending is all top notch.

In our range at 15th I like Kasper, Lambert and Mintuykov.

I really like the sound of Kasper....200 ft player......has offense and defense

• Cheers 1