The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 NHL Entry Draft

6 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

I will add, had JB treated Zack Kassian like he treated JV and Kassian got support here instead of Edmonton, we would be a harder and better team, and Petey would have a fearsome winger.

That’s what blond spots do, well have them and JB reduced his management team which also reduced his full vision of the organization, a fatal flaw and every Management team and or group has flaws… 

Chicago has its own flaws, and they won cups, Boston used the power of its owners position in the NHL to influence as much of the outcome as possible, something we all witnessed in the SCF… 

but there are some wanting Q from that very club, one that has a horrible flaw, and not Bruce, because they only want to win…

The best part of JB scouting strength was in 2018 when 6 other teams all passed on Hughes, a huge boost for the Benning/Brackett combo. However the bad part is

Canucks will have 5th-most 'dead money' on salary cap in 2022-23 season - Vancouver Is Awesome

A big Centre or a big Defenseman, doesn't matter if the D is R or L. 

The Dman will most likely join the team in 3-5 years anyway, and the Canucks aren't deep at LD either. Has to be a good skater, makes smart decisions (IQ).

Here's an interesting item:  the Canucks (both Van and the pipeline) don't have any right shot C prospects. No one, except Linus Karlsson. Do they try to get a right shot C?

Gleb Trikozov  6' 1" 185, right-shot C/RW (18 in August)  Could be a good late 1st/early 2nd.  Good skater, has some speed, likes to carry the puck, good defensively (like Svechkov) and looks difficult to play against, his backchecking etc., has a good shot - but he can sometimes lose the puck trying to do too much, hanging onto it too long or makes stretch passes that are off the mark. But, at 17, he's got years to grow and develop, and he's already got some decent size, and the speed.

I kind of hope they move down, and add a couple of good prospects (C and D) in the system. Maybe they get lucky and some drop. 

Watched/listened to Donnie&Dhali earlier and Drance was on saying he's hearing the Canucks have interest in Lekkerimaki, Kasper, Ohgren and Noah Ostlund, at the Draft

Not a fan of Drance, at all, but meh, grain of salt. Be nice to get Lekkerimaki, but I suspect they would probably have to move up to do that. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Watched/listened to Donnie&Dhali earlier and Drance was on saying he's hearing the Canucks have interest in Lekkerimaki, Kasper, Ohgren and Noah Ostlund, at the Draft

Not a fan of Drance, at all, but meh, grain of salt. Be nice to get Lekkerimaki, but I suspect they would probably have to move up to do that. 

Sounds like Drance talking out of his butt as usual. Seems to be a pattern of Euros on his list, 3 Swedes and One Austrian........ Not that any of them are particularly bad choices but this makes it sound like maybe Drance thinks that Allvin only drafts from close to his homeland.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Nathan Gaucher and Owen Beck would also be good RHC options possibly available with a later 1st/2nd

What's the book on Christian Kyrou? I'm an absolutely huge fan of his brother (Jordan), who also went in the 2nd round in his draft year. Turned out pretty well for St. Louis.

Christian is a right-handed D man, to boot. Strikes me as an offensive minded D man. Does anyone else know more? Lots of intrigue here...

On 5/20/2022 at 12:11 AM, GB5 said:

Sounds like Drance talking out of his butt as usual. Seems to be a pattern of Euros on his list, 3 Swedes and One Austrian........ Not that any of them are particularly bad choices but this makes it sound like maybe Drance thinks that Allvin only drafts from close to his homeland.

I like all those options. Kasper in particular has impressed me with what he's done against men in the SHL. Rutherford/Allvin must have a decent amount of familiarity with Rogle, as Pittsburgh drafted Calle Clang out of there in the 3rd round in 2019 (dealt to Anaheim at the deadline in the Rakell trade).

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs

1. Wright

2. Slafkovsky

3. Jiricek

4. Cooley

5. Nemec

6. Kemell

7. Gauthier

8. Nazar

9. Lekkerimaki

10. Lambert

11. Mintyukov

12. Korchinski

13. McGroarty

14. Kasper

15. Snuggerud

Savoie - drops because of his size

Yurov - drops because he's Russian

On 5/19/2022 at 12:16 PM, NUCKER67 said:

A big Centre or a big Defenseman, doesn't matter if the D is R or L. 

The Dman will most likely join the team in 3-5 years anyway, and the Canucks aren't deep at LD either. Has to be a good skater, makes smart decisions (IQ).

Here's an interesting item:  the Canucks (both Van and the pipeline) don't have any right shot C prospects. No one, except Linus Karlsson. Do they try to get a right shot C?

Gleb Trikozov  6' 1" 185, right-shot C/RW (18 in August)  Could be a good late 1st/early 2nd.  Good skater, has some speed, likes to carry the puck, good defensively (like Svechkov) and looks difficult to play against, his backchecking etc., has a good shot - but he can sometimes lose the puck trying to do too much, hanging onto it too long or makes stretch passes that are off the mark. But, at 17, he's got years to grow and develop, and he's already got some decent size, and the speed.

I kind of hope they move down, and add a couple of good prospects (C and D) in the system. Maybe they get lucky and some drop. 

My concern with Trikozov is - beyond simply the current Russia situation - with his over-confidence and lack of team concept, I would be concerned that he will have trouble making the jump to the NHL, may refuse assignment to the AHL and may be a little too eager to return to Russia if coaches are busting his balls.

I've said it before but along with Miroshnichenko, kid is the wild card of the draft. His blend of skill and power might be unmatched in this class. Could be Marian Hossa 2.0, or could be a very good KHL player.

• Upvote 1

On 5/19/2022 at 8:01 AM, NUCKER67 said:

Although, judging a picture by its cover, Ty Nelson's hair can't be on this team

Ty Nelson hockey player photo

Disagree. Nelsons hair is exactly what he need on this team. It's bold in your face, probably gritty pucks deep per 60 off the charts.    

Edited by hammertime
  • Haha 3

Targets

Guys who won't be there. 

1 Lambert

2 Yurov

3 Kaspar

Guys who might

3 Bichsel

4 McGroarty 

5 Kulich

6 Gauthier

If none of the above are availanle. Guys to trade down to get. 

7 Lamoureux 

8 Owen Beck

9 Nathan Gaucher

10 Jani Nyman

• Cheers 1

On 5/19/2022 at 11:30 AM, Fred65 said:

The best part of JB scouting strength was in 2018 when 6 other teams all passed on Hughes, a huge boost for the Benning/Brackett combo. However the bad part is

Canucks will have 5th-most 'dead money' on salary cap in 2022-23 season - Vancouver Is Awesome

For his year, Quinn Hughes was supposedly number 2 in the Canucks' draft board behind Rasmus Dahlin. In the NHL Central Scouting list for North American skaters, he was ranked 6th and the only 2 guys ranked ahead of him that were drafted after are Evan Bouchard and Noah Dobson.

For Elias Pettersson's year, he was supposedly number 2 in the Canucks' draft board his year behind Cale Makar. That said, he was ranked 2nd by NHL Central Scouting for European players. If you can believe it, Cale Makar was ranked 9th by NHL Central Scouting among North American skaters. The number 1 European player was Klim Kostin.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2022 at 11:30 AM, Fred65 said:

Yeah, Benning’s decisions continue to haunt this franchise even after he’s been fired.

Allvin and Rutherford’s mess to sort through and figure things out. 

12 hours ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

For his year, Quinn Hughes was supposedly number 2 in the Canucks' draft board behind Rasmus Dahlin. In the NHL Central Scouting list for North American skaters, he was ranked 6th and the only 2 guys ranked ahead of him that were drafted after are Evan Bouchard and Noah Dobson.

For Elias Pettersson's year, he was supposedly number 2 in the Canucks' draft board his year behind Cale Makar. That said, he was ranked 2nd by NHL Central Scouting for European players. If you can believe it, Cale Makar was ranked 9th by NHL Central Scouting among North American skaters. The number 1 European player was Klim Kostin.

9th?? Colorado got a steal. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

Klim Kostin not looking that great right now, at 23 years old, hasn’t been producing much at the NHL level when he’s been given a chance. Could be a bust.

On 5/19/2022 at 1:54 PM, NUCKER67 said:

Kaspar and ohgren are fun to watch. I can see why they are tageting all four. 

22 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

My concern with Trikozov is - beyond simply the current Russia situation - with his over-confidence and lack of team concept, I would be concerned that he will have trouble making the jump to the NHL, may refuse assignment to the AHL and may be a little too eager to return to Russia if coaches are busting his balls.

I've said it before but along with Miroshnichenko, kid is the wild card of the draft. His blend of skill and power might be unmatched in this class. Could be Marian Hossa 2.0, or could be a very good KHL player.

Will depend on the coach we got. Having boudreau will really help cuz of the respect ovie has for him.

14 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Klim Kostin not looking that great right now, at 23 years old, hasn’t been producing much at the NHL level when he’s been given a chance. Could be a bust.

I'd take a flier on him. He's prob not gonna be a 50-60+ point player but he's a beast on the wall drives play and can skate. He's exactly the kind of 3rd liner we need. 

Maybe offer a late pick or offersheet $1,386,490 = zero compensation. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 1

12 hours ago, hammertime said:

I'd take a flier on him. He's prob not gonna be a 50-60+ point player but he's a beast on the wall drives play and can skate. He's exactly the kind of 3rd liner we need. 

Maybe offer a late pick or offersheet $1,386,490 = zero compensation. 

I think a late pick would do it for the Blues. 

He’s young enough where he could still break out, but he’s also running out of time at the same time.