The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 NHL Entry Draft

29 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Not quite as tough when you watch them play. I don't think it is all that hard to determine who are the play-drivers at this level currently. That's always the easy part of scouting - trying to decide who will be the best NHL player years down the road is the tough part. 2020 was such a perfect illustration of this because Lucas Raymond was so clearly vastly superior to Quentin Byfield in every way.... except for the 6 or 7 inches and 40 lbs Byflied had on him. Others too, Stutzle, Perfetti, Holtz, Rossi were probably all pretty clearly better than Byfield at that time, but it was just so glaring with Raymond. And yet, Byfield was easily the consensus higher pick.

As for who is driving play right now at the NTDP, it is very clearly Cooley and Nazar at the top, Howard and McGroarty make up the middle tier, and then Gauthier and Snuggerud are the proverbial passengers. Easy. Trying to rank them as NHL prospects is a whole different story.

Yeah a good example of this would be Sebastian Aho in the WJC in Juolevi's draft year playing with Laine and Poolparty. Everyone though he was just there, turns out he is the best of the bunch. Sometimes people look at who has the puck the most and decide they are cog that makes everything move but the guy doing all the little things good defensively, goes to the dirty areas, or makes room for his teammates can sometimes be even more valuable. 

So I think I've beaten the piss out of the 1st rounders and seeing as we don't have a 2nd...... Yet! Who's got 3rd round targets?  

I'm looking at.

Simon Forsmark Solid and responsible with good vision and passing makes crisp breakouts. Probably goes late 2nd. He's split the season between the SHL and SWE-JR

Topi Ronni C Fantastic at both ends of the ice. Has speed to burn and he's really strong on pucks. Doesn't mind getting his nose dirty. Impressed the hell out of me at the u18.

Otto Salin RHD Kind of a big swing here he's got huge offensive upside and glaring defensive deficiencies he can skate himself out of trouble or into it. He's a fun player to watch. Boom Bust potential.

Julian Lutz Wild card hasn't played much hockey but he's been really really good in the few viewings I've had of him. I think if he'd played more he would be considered a late 1st. Do teams shy away due to small sample size. I doubt it but I'd take the risk with a mid 2nd where I think he will go.

Artyom Duda LHD Absolutely crushed it in the MHL this year posting nearly a PPG. He's another boom bust guy. I'm all for taking chances in the later rounds.

Noah Warren He'll be gone but its a nice thought. Big RHD He prob tops out as a 5/6 guy but he's what you want to have there. Square peg square hole. 

John Babcock I'm going local on this one I've had the chance to watch a few Rockets games this year living in the Okanagan. He's tough as nails and can play at both ends of the rink posting 0.4 PPG and a +28 in 57 games. Here's Reid Schaefer(Refer to my previous posts about him in the last few pages really like him late 1st early 2nd)  and Babcock going at it like rockem sockem robots. He's in good hands in Rocket's D factory. 

If that's your thing here's his fight card https://www.hockeyfights.com/players/n31613

Maybe risk an overeager in the late rounds?

Logan Morrison 19 here's what EP has to say Morrison supports the puck really well and creates takeaways frequently. His play away from the puck was good, as he shut down Rossi for the majority of the game. Offensively, he drove the middle of the ice and the net well, drawing a penalty on one occasion. Morrison is consistently involved in the play and never shied away from physicality, especially on the forecheck. -EliteProspects 2020 NHL Draft Guide

Put up11G 21 PTS in10 playoff games  and 100 reg season pts just saying.   

Lucas Edmonds 21  He's been on radar for a while now. Came over to the OHL this year and wrecked it posting 113 points in 68 games for Kingston ya he's 21 but with a late round pick you start turning stones. He's raising a few eyebrows. 

Maybe Ian Clarke likes a goalie? The Finns look good Topias Leionen and Niklas Kokko. 

Who you got?

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, hammertime said:

So I think I've beaten the piss out of the 1st rounders and seeing as we don't have a 2nd...... Yet! Who's got 3rd round targets?  

I'm looking at.

Simon Forsmark Solid and responsible with good vision and passing makes crisp breakouts. Probably goes late 2nd. He's split the season between the SHL and SWE-JR

Topi Ronni C Fantastic at both ends of the ice. Has speed to burn and he's really strong on pucks. Doesn't mind getting his nose dirty. Impressed the hell out of me at the u18.

Otto Salin RHD Kind of a big swing here he's got huge offensive upside and glaring defensive deficiencies he can skate himself out of trouble or into it. He's a fun player to watch. Boom Bust potential.

Julian Lutz Wild card hasn't played much hockey but he's been really really good in the few viewings I've had of him. I think if he'd played more he would be considered a late 1st. Do teams shy away due to small sample size. I doubt it but I'd take the risk with a mid 2nd where I think he will go.

Artyom Duda LHD Absolutely crushed it in the MHL this year posting nearly a PPG. He's another boom bust guy. I'm all for taking chances in the later rounds.

Noah Warren He'll be gone but its a nice thought. Big RHD He prob tops out as a 5/6 guy but he's what you want to have there. Square peg square hole. 

John Babcock I'm going local on this one I've had the chance to watch a few Rockets games this year living in the Okanagan. He's tough as nails and can play at both ends of the rink posting 0.4 PPG and a +28 in 57 games. Here's Reid Schaefer(Refer to my previous posts about him in the last few pages really like him late 1st early 2nd)  and Babcock going at it like rockem sockem robots. He's in good hands in Rocket's D factory. 

If that's your thing here's his fight card https://www.hockeyfights.com/players/n31613

Maybe risk an overeager in the late rounds?

Logan Morrison 19 here's what EP has to say Morrison supports the puck really well and creates takeaways frequently. His play away from the puck was good, as he shut down Rossi for the majority of the game. Offensively, he drove the middle of the ice and the net well, drawing a penalty on one occasion. Morrison is consistently involved in the play and never shied away from physicality, especially on the forecheck. -EliteProspects 2020 NHL Draft Guide

Put up11G 21 PTS in10 playoff games  and 100 reg season pts just saying.   

Lucas Edmonds 21  He's been on radar for a while now. Came over to the OHL this year and wrecked it posting 113 points in 68 games for Kingston ya he's 21 but with a late round pick you start turning stones. He's raising a few eyebrows. 

Maybe Ian Clarke likes a goalie? The Finns look good Topias Leionen and Niklas Kokko. 

Who you got?

Have been looking at Warren since about page 20

3rd round:  Noah Warren:  https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/574586/noah-warren

4th round:  Liam Arnsby https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/529236/liam-arnsby

edit*. I like Arnsby because he's feisty.  He also seems to show up for tournament play and in the playoffs or in big games.  The perfect kind of RHC we'd need for our bottom 6

Edited by Warhippy
  • Thanks 1

On 5/24/2022 at 9:59 AM, NUCKER67 said:

Watch Jimmy Snuggerud become a very good NHL player.  Deep hockey roots, pedigree

Looking back at previous drafts, there always seem to be players in the mid-1st round or later than somehow beat the odds and become better players than the experts thought. I can see Jimmy Snuggerud being one of those players. 

I remember a Suggerud on the Sens when they came into the league I think he was a fast skater just not very physical.

Edited by CanuckleHorse

11 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Have been looking at Warren since about page 20

3rd round:  Noah Warren:  https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/574586/noah-warren

4th round:  Liam Arnsby https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/529236/liam-arnsby

Arnsby is interesting. Found this on Google. https://ohlwriters.me/2022/04/12/liam-arnsby-north-bay-battalion-player-profile/

Seems to scrap a lot for a guy 5'11 181 with guys waaaay bigger than him. Hope he doesn't get hurt. I like that he's getting under guys skin. Point totals leave a lot to be desired. @Warhippy

27 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Arnsby is interesting. Found this on Google. https://ohlwriters.me/2022/04/12/liam-arnsby-north-bay-battalion-player-profile/

Seems to scrap a lot for a guy 5'11 181 with guys waaaay bigger than him. Hope he doesn't get hurt. I like that he's getting under guys skin. Point totals leave a lot to be desired. @Warhippy

His production isn't the greatest but point totals don't always tell the story.  Example being any defensemen in the league.  Sure we now have a ton of offense first defensemen, but the ones capable of keeping the pucks out of the net are the ones winning the cups.

He might never be a 40-40 type of centre.  but as an energy playing fast RHC he's almost the perfect type for the game we need

17 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

His production isn't the greatest but point totals don't always tell the story.  Example being any defensemen in the league.  Sure we now have a ton of offense first defensemen, but the ones capable of keeping the pucks out of the net are the ones winning the cups.

He might never be a 40-40 type of centre.  but as an energy playing fast RHC he's almost the perfect type for the game we need

I agree with the mindset. I've been looking for the pest in this years draft I hope that he can direct his energy to drawing penalties and doesn't fight as many guys he gives up 30-40 lbs and 3-4 inches on. It takes it's toll. 

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

I agree with the mindset. I've been looking for the pest in this years draft I hope that he can direct his energy to drawing penalties and doesn't fight as many guys he gives up 30-40 lbs and 3-4 inches on. It takes it's toll. 

We can hope

6 hours ago, hammertime said:

I'm a big fan. One of the best defensive forwards in the draft and while not a high-end playmaker per se, he can make smart, simple plays in limited time and space, which bodes well for not only being able to play in the NHL but also NHL playoffs. I mentioned this a couple times last year talking about Sillinger, but for Canada White at the U17, every PK Arnsby and Sillinger were the first guys over the boards. Even on 5-on-3s, it was Arnsby, Sillinger and one defenseman (usually Lambos). I'd be all over him in the 4th or 5th round.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

I'm a big fan. One of the best defensive forwards in the draft and while not a high-end playmaker per se, he can make smart, simple plays in limited time and space, which bodes well for not only being able to play in the NHL but also NHL playoffs. I mentioned this a couple times last year talking about Sillinger, but for Canada White at the U17, every PK Arnsby and Sillinger were the first guys over the boards. Even on 5-on-3s, it was Arnsby, Sillinger and one defenseman (usually Lambos). I'd be all over him in the 4th or 5th round.

I have been banging the drum of 3 guys for a while now.  I know Lamoureux will be gone by the 2nd pick; BUT if it cna be had I can almost guarantee that one of the russians will fall to it and that's worth the risk.

On 4/12/2022 at 9:00 AM, Warhippy said:

My wish list:

1st round:  #15 Cutter Gauthier https://thehockeywriters.com/cutter-gauthier-2022-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

2nd round:  (Via trade picks 5, 6 and 7 to Arizona or Montreal) Maverick Lamoureux https://thehockeywriters.com/maveric-lamoureux-2022-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Edited by Warhippy
  • Like 1

I went to game 4 between the Seattle Thunderbirds and Kamloops Blazers last night. Crazy that it’s the first game I attended since before covid given that I live 10 minutes from Thunderbirds arena and used to go to games all the time. 

Anyway, with that said, our own defensive prospect Viktor Persson, did not look so hot out there last night. Was not impressed and he had a rough game with some sloppy zone exits and some poor positioning. He definitely got outplayed and really seemed to struggle.

But I do have to note two Thunderbirds dmen. One of course is Kevin Korchinski. He didn’t light up the score sheet by any means, but in person he looks like the real deal. He’s such a good skater, his blue line presence in the offensive zone is sensational, and he makes a lot of good plays under pressure. His passing is really really good. He reminds me a lot of former Thunderbird Shea Theodore. After seeing him last night, I would not be upset at all if he was our pick at 15. I definitely get why he’s sky rocketed up draft boards. 

Another player that really jumped out at me is Jeremy Hanzel. My understanding is he’s draft eligible but hasn’t really made any draft lists. I thought he was the best dman out there on either side. His positioning is sensational and he was always in the right spot. He didn’t easily get bodied off the puck and his passing is really solid. He looks like he has a really great hockey sense and while he doesn’t seem like a player that will dominate the score sheet nightly, he does look like he belongs on the ice without question. I’m wondering if he’s on teams radars as a late round pick because I really would be quite interested. My roommate is a season ticket holder and says Hanzel is just one of the hardest working and most consistent players and always plays like that. But he doesn’t seem to boast an exceptional skill set which is probably why he’s not on a lot of radars. 

Also worth noting, Flames prospect Lucas Ciona was awesome last night. I don’t know if he possesses the skill set to be a high end nhl player, but he played like a tank out there and was everywhere all over the ice, creating mayhem and scoring chances. Seems like he has nhl potential in some capacity, perhaps a bottom 6 forward role. Very impressive game. I had seen him in person before covid but I do feel like his game has really evolved since I last saw him. My roommate agrees the difference between his rookie year and now he looks like a completely different player. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to shut up about Kapser until the day of the draft. More fanboy posts pending until early July...

I look at a team like the St. Louis Blues with their deep, fast, skilled, gritty, and burly forward corps. That's a forward core we should absolutely aspire to emulate (in terms of having that depth and type of skillset). Kasper would make us more like the Blues. Stylistically and in terms of level of impact, I could see Kasper being like our own version of Player Name-Ek on the Wild. I hope people understand how good of a player that is.

https://canucksarmy.com/2022/05/14/conversation-marco-kasper-nhler-scouting-faber/

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2022/05/24/marco-kasper-scouting-report-2022-nhl-draft/

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs

2 hours ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

I went to game 4 between the Seattle Thunderbirds and Kamloops Blazers last night. Crazy that it’s the first game I attended since before covid given that I live 10 minutes from Thunderbirds arena and used to go to games all the time. 

Anyway, with that said, our own defensive prospect Viktor Persson, did not look so hot out there last night. Was not impressed and he had a rough game with some sloppy zone exits and some poor positioning. He definitely got outplayed and really seemed to struggle.

But I do have to note two Thunderbirds dmen. One of course is Kevin Korchinski. He didn’t light up the score sheet by any means, but in person he looks like the real deal. He’s such a good skater, his blue line presence in the offensive zone is sensational, and he makes a lot of good plays under pressure. His passing is really really good. He reminds me a lot of former Thunderbird Shea Theodore. After seeing him last night, I would not be upset at all if he was our pick at 15. I definitely get why he’s sky rocketed up draft boards. 

Another player that really jumped out at me is Jeremy Hanzel. My understanding is he’s draft eligible but hasn’t really made any draft lists. I thought he was the best dman out there on either side. His positioning is sensational and he was always in the right spot. He didn’t easily get bodied off the puck and his passing is really solid. He looks like he has a really great hockey sense and while he doesn’t seem like a player that will dominate the score sheet nightly, he does look like he belongs on the ice without question. I’m wondering if he’s on teams radars as a late round pick because I really would be quite interested. My roommate is a season ticket holder and says Hanzel is just one of the hardest working and most consistent players and always plays like that. But he doesn’t seem to boast an exceptional skill set which is probably why he’s not on a lot of radars. 

Also worth noting, Flames prospect Lucas Ciona was awesome last night. I don’t know if he possesses the skill set to be a high end nhl player, but he played like a tank out there and was everywhere all over the ice, creating mayhem and scoring chances. Seems like he has nhl potential in some capacity, perhaps a bottom 6 forward role. Very impressive game. I had seen him in person before covid but I do feel like his game has really evolved since I last saw him. My roommate agrees the difference between his rookie year and now he looks like a completely different player. 

Any input on Thomas Milic? Seems to have decent numbers so far, but I can't tell if it's because he's on a stacked team or if he actually has some potential. He's been kind of on the radar on some scouting services, but this is his D+1 year, so not sure if he gets a look by an NHL team.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Any input on Thomas Milic? Seems to have decent numbers so far, but I can't tell if it's because he's on a stacked team or if he actually has some potential. He's been kind of on the radar on some scouting services, but this is his D+1 year, so not sure if he gets a look by an NHL team.

I was really impressed with him. He faced over 30 shots and was the first star. He looks very calm in net. I think the defense in front of him was really great last night and didn’t let a lot of high percentage opportunities come his way but he did have a nice stop on a breakaway and he definitely was tested and held his own. I’m not great when it comes to understanding how scouts can really get a great read on goalies but just my opinion, he was very impressive. My roommate says Milic looks like that almost every night so I think he could be the real deal but again, I think the defense is very strong too. Again though, I’m not an expert on goalies, but from a fans perspective he looked very good. 

I played defense as a kid so I feel most comfortable understanding what to watch for with dmen in terms of just basic fan scouting. Which is why as mentioned I was really so impressed with Korchinski and Hanzel. I think Hanzel probably needs to bulk up a bit but I could genuinely see him as an NHL player one day. Positionally, I got Tanev vibes from him. Just always in the spot he needs to be in and seems to really have great hockey sense.  

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

One of course is Kevin Korchinski.

I agree, Korchinski looks good, great skater, smart. I'd be happy if VAN got him, and in 3-4 years, Canucks could have Hughes, Korchinski and Rathbone on the left side. I believe Korchinski's stock has risen though, and he's now in Top 10 conversation. Canucks might not have a chance to get him. 

Considering the lack of prospects, should the Canucks trade down to acquire another Top 30-40 pick?  Two prospects are better than one. The rankings are also all over the place so VAN could still pick up two very good players. They need to build up that prospect pool quick. I'd be happy if they traded for another 1st rounder, or at least a 2nd. 

More prospects!

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I agree, Korchinski looks good, great skater, smart. I'd be happy if VAN got him, and in 3-4 years, Canucks could have Hughes, Korchinski and Rathbone on the left side. I believe Korchinski's stock has risen though, and he's now in Top 10 conversation. Canucks might not have a chance to get him. 

Considering the lack of prospects, should the Canucks trade down to acquire another Top 30-40 pick?  Two prospects are better than one. The rankings are also all over the place so VAN could still pick up two very good players. They need to build up that prospect pool quick. I'd be happy if they traded for another 1st rounder, or at least a 2nd. 

More prospects!

I would hold tight at 15th personally, id prefer quality over quantity. I think someone good drops and is sitting there at 15, that maybe in the Canucks 10 top on their list.  

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I would hold tight at 15th personally, id prefer quality over quantity. I think someone good drops and is sitting there at 15, that maybe in the Canucks 10 top on their list.  

Yes, they might have their eyes set on a certain player in the Top, hoping he's there at #15 (Yurov? Lekkerimaki? Gauthier?), but this is also JR and Alvin, so who knows how they'll draft here. I'm almost expecting a "Kotkaniemi at #3" reaction from Canucks fans. 

image.jpeg.05031fae4bd90a2e974d399f1525e38a.jpeg

19 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yes, they might have their eyes set on a certain player in the Top, hoping he's there at #15 (Yurov? Lekkerimaki? Gauthier?), but this is also JR and Alvin, so who knows how they'll draft here. I'm almost expecting a "Kotkaniemi at #3" reaction from Canucks fans. 

That Montreal lady has to be one of the most elite memes in the hockey universe. :lol:

20 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think there will be a few of these moments in this draft. 

• Cheers 1