The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Connor Lockhart | C

Dazzle

19 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

More to the point though was that he was a 9th round pick that made it all the way to the NHL for a lot more than just a cup of coffee. Never say never.

A Dave Nonis era pick, although most picks after the first is up to the scouts it my understanding. I recall the JB saying to Brackett, on video 2017, well you got your man (Rathbone)

Just galncing at the 2019 draft that could turn out to be the best ever. Podkolzyn, Hoglander, Focht, Silvos, Plasek, McDonough and Costmar

Edited by Fred65

3 hours ago, Fred65 said:

A Dave Nonis era pick, although most picks after the first is up to the scouts it my understanding. I recall the JB saying to Brackett, on video 2017, well you got your man (Rathbone)

Just galncing at the 2019 draft that could turn out to be the best ever. Podkolzyn, Hoglander, Focht, Silvos, Plasek, McDonough and Costmar

It looks to have been an exceptional draft.

Pods and Hogs already starting to show their stuff in the NHL and Silovs and McDonough really upping their value this year. Canucks will need to have some of their draft picks make it to the NHL in order to keep the pipeline  of young talent flowing.

Edited by Kootenay Gold

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/7/2021 at 2:39 PM, Kootenay Gold said:

Pods and Hogs already starting to show their stuff in the NHL and Silovs and McDonough really upping their value this year. Canucks will need to have some of their draft picks make it to the NHL in order to keep the pipeline  of young talent flowing.

Yeah. Out of that list though, Focht and Plasek still doesn’t strike me as players that could develop into NHL players. But what do I know. 

On 11/7/2021 at 2:39 PM, Kootenay Gold said:

if Silovs can be a backup tender with the Canucks that would be amazing. McDonough is he makes it to the NHL would be absolutely a steal. I can’t remember the last time a 7th round pick for the Canucks made it and played a vital role for the club. Only player in recent memory is Jannik Hansen who was drafted in the 9th round, when they had 9 rounds. 

51 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

if Silovs can be a backup tender with the Canucks that would be amazing. McDonough is he makes it to the NHL would be absolutely a steal. I can’t remember the last time a 7th round pick for the Canucks made it and played a vital role for the club. Only player in recent memory is Jannik Hansen who was drafted in the 9th round, when they had 9 rounds. 

I think Silovs may surprise us and McDonough too if he can improve his skating. Focht has had a rough go this year and the jury is still out on him. Plasek is going to be a long term prospect.

8 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I think Silovs may surprise us and McDonough too if he can improve his skating. Focht has had a rough go this year and the jury is still out on him. Plasek is going to be a long term prospect.

Yeah, but I’m not surprised that those guys are all long term projects. They’re all late round picks right? Silovs was 6th round; McDonough was 7th round; Plasek was also a 6th round selection. Plasek is already 21 years old, so if he’s not making much more progress in the next year or two, I don’t think he’s going to make it pro. 

Silovs already has two years of professional hockey under his belt (one with Manitoba and now with Abby). He’s trending hopefully in the right direction with regards to his development and progress. Working with Clark has to be golden for goaltenders whether in the AHL or NHL. Must be a privilege to be able to work with Ian. 

Has McDonough’s skating improved since last season? I know that’s been a knock in his game, but has he made progress in that area? 

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, but I’m not surprised that those guys are all long term projects. They’re all late round picks right? Silovs was 6th round; McDonough was 7th round; Plasek was also a 6th round selection. Plasek is already 21 years old, so if he’s not making much more progress in the next year or two, I don’t think he’s going to make it pro. 

Silovs already has two years of professional hockey under his belt (one with Manitoba and now with Abby). He’s trending hopefully in the right direction with regards to his development and progress. Working with Clark has to be golden for goaltenders whether in the AHL or NHL. Must be a privilege to be able to work with Ian. 

Has McDonough’s skating improved since last season? I know that’s been a knock in his game, but has he made progress in that area? 

I would consider Silovs as having only having this year as a pro as he only played in one game while on loan to the Moose last year.

From what @SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.MEhas said about McDonough; it would appear that his skating has improved to some degree but remains to be seen if he can improve it even more. He certainly has the size and an NHL calibre shot; just his skating holding him back. With that said, it would not surprise me if the Canucks sign him this next off season to an ELC.

Edited by Kootenay Gold

4 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I would consider Silovs as having only having this year as a pro as he only played in one game while on loan to the Moose last year.

From what @SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.MEhas said about McDonough; it would appear that his skating has improved to some degree but remains to be seen if he can improve it even more. He certainly has the size and an NHL calibre shot; just his skating holding him back. With that said, it would not surprise me if the Canucks sign him this next off season to an ELC.

Yeah. Probably worth a gamble with McDonough. See if he can work on his skating even more. If he can, what’s his upside? Middle six forward in the NHL?

12 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Dixon Ward was our last 7th round pick to have a significant NHL career. He was drafted in 1988, played 537 NHL games, scored 95 goals and had 224 points over his career.

Jason King was actually the next most successful 7th round pick since then. Played 59 games with 23 points.

I believe our best 7th round pick ever was Doug Lidster.

Edited by Rick Blight

35 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Dixon Ward was our last 7th round pick to have a significant NHL career. He was drafted in 1988, played 537 NHL games, scored 95 goals and had 224 points over his career.

Jason King was actually the next most successful 7th round pick since then. Played 59 games with 23 points.

I believe our best 7th round pick ever was Doug Lidster.

The Canucks have not previously had much luck in late round draft picks but perhaps this dismal record will change with the DP's that were made under JB's tenure as GM.

Searching the records from 2000 to 2008 there were 16 players that played over 500 games in the NHL that were 7th round draft picks: 2000; Miettenin 539, Gaustad 727, Lombardi 536. 2001; Lundquist 887, Oduya 850, Moss 501; 2002 none; 2003; Brodziak 917, Pavelski 1107; 2004; Hunwick 535, Brower 851; 2005; Hornquist 837, Stralman 876; 2007; Dorsett 515, Gunnerson 629; 2008 Demers 699.

7th rounders may be lottery picks but the Canucks only need to cash in on a couple of them per decade in order to make a difference. Joe Pavelski is a prime example of that

• Cheers 2

32 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

The Canucks have not previously had much luck in late round draft picks but perhaps this dismal record will change with the DP's that were made under JB's tenure as GM.

Searching the records from 2000 to 2008 there were 16 players that played over 500 games in the NHL that were 7th round draft picks: 2000; Miettenin 539, Gaustad 727, Lombardi 536. 2001; Lundquist 887, Oduya 850, Moss 501; 2002 none; 2003; Brodziak 917, Pavelski 1107; 2004; Hunwick 535, Brower 851; 2005; Hornquist 837, Stralman 876; 2007; Dorsett 515, Gunnerson 629; 2008 Demers 699.

7th rounders may be lottery picks but the Canucks only need to cash in on a couple of them per decade in order to make a difference. Joe Pavelski is a prime example of that

Yeah, 7th round picks really are lottery picks and I think you may be somewhat optimistic hoping the Canucks may cash in on  2 of them per decade If we set the bar at  500 NHL games as "cashing in" we have barely achieved that with our 1st round picks.

We have only had 4 1st round picks this century play 500 games and two of them did it primarily with other teams. Horvat and Kesler were the only 2 that did it with the Canucks while Umberger and Grabner did it primarily with other teams.

16 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Yeah, 7th round picks really are lottery picks and I think you may be somewhat optimistic hoping the Canucks may cash in on  2 of them per decade If we set the bar at  500 NHL games as "cashing in" we have barely achieved that with our 1st round picks.

We have only had 4 1st round picks this century play 500 games and two of them did it primarily with other teams. Horvat and Kesler were the only 2 that did it with the Canucks while Umberger and Grabner did it primarily with other teams.

Being a fan requires a lot of optimism, LOL .

Seriously; the Canucks drafting history after the departure of Burke and Nonis was pretty sad. So far I am optimistic that some of JB's draft picks will play over 500 games in the NHL. I hope that it is with the Canucks.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Being a fan requires a lot of optimism, LOL .

Seriously; the Canucks drafting history after the departure of Burke and Nonis was pretty sad. So far I am optimistic that some of JB's draft picks will play over 500 games in the NHL. I hope that it is with the Canucks.

You know what I get concerned about is judging a team on it's drafting. Every year we like every other team select a number of low end prospects. The difference with Vcr is within minutes of the conclussion of the draft the fan marketers start "selling" these prospects as answers to hockey woes. It's selling hope where none exists to fans who are becoming used to supporting a losing team, year after year.

What we should be judging the team on, is not draft picks, ( and the dreams they conjure up ) but the wins and losses. It's the wins and losses that count not some obscure and previously unheard of kid from the Northern part of Sweden. Have a look at Vcr draft record and seriously take a discerning look at the likely success rate. Todays record b aprt from the players taken in the top ten slots is not much different than years ago.

All Draft Choices - Vancouver Canucks - All-time Drafts (nhl.com)

44 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

You know what I get concerned about is judging a team on it's drafting. Every year we like every other team select a number of low end prospects. The difference with Vcr is within minutes of the conclussion of the draft the fan marketers start "selling" these prospects as answers to hockey woes. It's selling hope where none exists to fans who are becoming used to supporting a losing team, year after year.

What we should be judging the team on, is not draft picks, ( and the dreams they conjure up ) but the wins and losses. It's the wins and losses that count not some obscure and previously unheard of kid from the Northern part of Sweden. Have a look at Vcr draft record and seriously take a discerning look at the likely success rate. Todays record b aprt from the players taken in the top ten slots is not much different than years ago.

All Draft Choices - Vancouver Canucks - All-time Drafts (nhl.com)

I don't just judge how a team drafts as to how they perform long term but it is one of the key pieces to the overall puzzle. Good drafting enables other methods of building a team to come into play.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I don't just judge how a team drafts as to how they perform long term but it is one of the key pieces to the overall puzzle. Good drafting enables other methods of building a team to come into play.

Reality tell us that >25% of 2nd rounders and beyond play 100 games in the NHL. Late picks are shots at the moon :)

6 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Reality tell us that >25% of 2nd rounders and beyond play 100 games in the NHL. Late picks are shots at the moon :)

I am well aware of that Fred but teams still draft in hope of finding a late round pick like Pavelski. Even only finding one quality late round pick in decade is better than none.

Your constant negativity on this chat forum is really wearing thin. Perhaps you should cheer and become a fan of a different team?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I am well aware of that Fred but teams still draft in hope of finding a late round pick like Pavelski. Even only finding one quality late round pick in decade is better than none.

Your constant negativity on this chat forum is really wearing thin. Perhaps you should cheer and become a fan of a different team?

Sorry if it unsettles you but frankly I can only view the goings on through the lens of reality. I was never a person to shy from the truth, I'd never qualify as a cheerleader, I'm happy to say. I've supported the canucks for 49 years, so I'm not expecting to change my allegiance now. I suspect you best block my posts :)

On 11/7/2021 at 1:07 PM, Fred65 said:

After a good first year, Focht is struggling this season.

• Sad 1

On 12/3/2021 at 8:17 PM, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, McDonough made it a point to develop his skating this past off-season. Skating much improved. We should ask Conner Garland to call him - Garland works on his skating every practice.

• Like 1