The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Connor Lockhart | C

Dazzle

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

What is this kid’s projection? 

Undersized fella.  19years old in the OHL and still under PPG. 
He is probably a fairly long shot.  
AHLer I’m guessing, but he was previously fairly highly regarded.  
He went really high in the OHL draft, but has t done much since, including missing a full season from Covid shutdown 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

He went really high in the OHL draft, but has t done much since, including missing a full season from Covid shutdown 

He is still 18, but he does have an early birthday for his draft class.  

It was really impossible for him to do much in the OHL due to the lost season, so it's interesting to watch him this year.  The kid seems to have a lot of confidence in his game.  

On 12/12/2021 at 5:46 AM, D.B Cooper said:

This kid would have been a 2nd or 3rd round pick if he didn't miss a year. He has all the tools to be a middle 6 player. However, as we've seen a number of times, having the tools doesn't always equate to results.

Be interesting to see how he keeps improving and rounding out. Has offensive instincts and puck skills that you can't really teach.

On 12/23/2021 at 12:11 PM, VegasCanuck said:

This kid would have been a 2nd or 3rd round pick if he didn't miss a year. He has all the tools to be a middle 6 player. However, as we've seen a number of times, having the tools doesn't always equate to results.

Be interesting to see how he keeps improving and rounding out. Has offensive instincts and puck skills that you can't really teach.

He was ranked as high as 49th. In the OHL draft he was taken 3rd overall ahead of McTavish (3rd overall NHL), Brandt Clarke (8th overall NHL) and Wyatt Johnston (23rd overall NHL). 

Johnston does seem to be progressing far better at this point but considering we got Lockhart in the 6th he was an awesome pick. I wouldn’t have minded him even as a 3rd rounder.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Lockhart was a fantastic pick especially getting him where they did! There was a reason he was coveted highly in the CHL draft. He lost his draft year to Covid so may have slipped much lower than he should have been drafted. It’s a great gamble. I’m hoping we take a couple highly producing overagers that fell between the cracks because of missed time.

• Cheers 2

On 12/31/2021 at 1:48 PM, flickyoursedin said:

Lockhart was a fantastic pick especially getting him where they did! There was a reason he was coveted highly in the CHL draft. He lost his draft year to Covid so may have slipped much lower than he should have been drafted. It’s a great gamble. I’m hoping we take a couple highly producing overagers that fell between the cracks because of missed time.

“I’m hoping we take a couple highly producing overagers that fell between the cracks because of missed time.”

Good catch.

13 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Fans need to keep in mind, he’s not an overager, he doesn’t even turn 19 until later this month. Considering he didn’t get a chance to play last year, his development is looking pretty good!

Was thinking the same thing. 

He’s just two points shy of a point per game, and the scoring lead for his team in Erie (he’s currently third on the Otters).

Not bad at all for an 18 year old (turns 19 in a couple weeks). Especially after losing a year to Covid.

Definitely remains a prospect with high potential. His strengths are his skating, puck skills, and release, which are a great foundation for an offensive minded player. Still has room to improve on his defence and he also needs to get stronger and better able to handle physical play, as an undersized forward.

Could also benefit from taking more faceoffs, if he wants to be a real option at centre, although he most likely projects as a winger, and IIRC that’s where he lines up for most of his shifts (as 2RW on the Erie chart).

Generates a good amount of shots, at nearly 3 SOG per game, plus additional attempts (blocked/missed).

6 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Was thinking the same thing. 

He’s just two points shy of a point per game, and the scoring lead for his team in Erie (he’s currently third on the Otters).

Not bad at all for an 18 year old (turns 19 in a couple weeks). Especially after losing a year to Covid.

Definitely remains a prospect with high potential. His strengths are his skating, puck skills, and release, which are a great foundation for an offensive minded player. Still has room to improve on his defence and he also needs to get stronger and better able to handle physical play, as an undersized forward.

Could also benefit from taking more faceoffs, if he wants to be a real option at centre, although he most likely projects as a winger, and IIRC that’s where he lines up for most of his shifts (as 2RW on the Erie chart).

Generates a good amount of shots, at nearly 3 SOG per game, plus additional attempts (blocked/missed).

Exactly, and his points per game are moving steadily up. He's getting better as the year goes on, which is to be expected from a kid who missed a full year due to Covid.

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Exactly, and his points per game are moving steadily up. He's getting better as the year goes on, which is to be expected from a kid who missed a full year due to Covid.

Lockhart reminds of another undersized centre the Canucks picked up a few years ago - Curtis Valk. Valk was outstanding in the AHL, but didn’t really get a shot with the Canucks - we had no room for an undersized centre - but times have changed - players like Garland, Hoglander, and so on, are now common in the league.

• Cheers 2

21 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Lockhart reminds of another undersized centre the Canucks picked up a few years ago - Curtis Valk. Valk was outstanding in the AHL, but didn’t really get a shot with the Canucks - we had no room for an undersized centre - but times have changed - players like Garland, Hoglander, and so on, are now common in the league.

Yikes, Travis Green. If you look at the track record from 2014-present, there is little evidence that Green can produce an AHL player that ends up flourishing in the NHL.

Like wow, that's shockingly bad. No wonder why our AHL teams were not flourishing with players to the NHL. Seriously, the decision to promote Green in the first place is really questionable, in hindsight.

Edited by Dazzle

58 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Yikes, Travis Green. If you look at the track record from 2014-present, there is little evidence that Green can produce an AHL player that ends up flourishing in the NHL.

Like wow, that's shockingly bad. No wonder why our AHL teams were not flourishing with players to the NHL. Seriously, the decision to promote Green in the first place is really questionable, in hindsight.

This post is the single greatest act of contortion I've seen in a long time. To take a post discussing Connor Lockhart and then to turn it into a Green-bashing thread is truly a masterpiece of twisting random facts to fit your version of the truth. Green is gone, let it go.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

This post is the single greatest act of contortion I've seen in a long time. To take a post discussing Connor Lockhart and then to turn it into a Green-bashing thread is truly a masterpiece of twisting random facts to fit your version of the truth. Green is gone, let it go.

Thosee that do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Winston Churchill.

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

4 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Not really. I am looking at a player who was compared to Connor Lockhart, only to discover that it was Travis Green running the AHL team in 2014. Fast forward 8 years later, we can see a shocking result; that many players who may have done well in the AHL, don't succeed in the NHL, especially with the SAME COACH coming on the team.

Travis Green is barely an adequate AHL coach was my point. We don't see many of the AHL players who may have succeeded in the AHL end up flourishing BECAUSE of Green.

• Upvote 2