The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

SIrhan Sirhan, Robert F. Kennedy's Assassin, Recommended for Parole

DonLever

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/convicted-rfk-assassin-sirhan-sirhan-granted-parole-2021-08-27/

Aug 27 (Reuters) - A California review board on Friday recommended that Sirhan Sirhan, the Palestinian refugee serving a life sentence for assassinating U.S. presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy in 1968, be released from prison on parole.

Sirhan, 77, has previously been denied parole 15 times.

The latest decision by a Board of Parole Hearings panel is now subject to a 120-day review by the board's legal staff, during which the case may be referred to the full board for further evaluation before a final judgment is rendered.

The California governor then has 30 days to reverse the board's action or let it stand. That process would most likely put Sirhan's fate in the hands incumbent Governor Gavin Newsom, a first-term Democrat, assuming he survives a recall election set for September.

If the governor takes no action on a parole grant, the inmate is then scheduled for release.

The Palestinian-born Sirhan was convicted of gunning down Kennedy, 42, in the kitchen pantry of the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles on June 5, 1968. The shooting occurred minutes after the U.S. senator from New York and former U.S. attorney general gave his victory speech after winning the California Democratic primary. Kennedy died the next day.

Sirhan has said he had no recollection of the killing, although he has also said he fired at Kennedy because he was enraged by his support for Israel.

Two members of the slain senator’s family, including his son, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., sent letters to the parole board in support of Sirhan's release, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Edited by DonLever

I would like to believe that I like Roberts son could forgive the person that killed my father 50 years after the event.

I think I would,first for my own peace of heart and second that forgiveness is one of the ultimate acts of human kindness. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Six of Bobby’s children are devastated by this news.  

https://www.newsweek.com/robert-kennedy-sirhan-sirhan-released-children-1623934

They have every right to feel the way they do.

What defines us is how we treat others and especially those who have a negative impact on our lives.

Douglas's words stating how he feared him but now views him as a human being worthy of compassion defines him.

Trying to find some stats I could only come up with between 7 and 25 years average for time spent in jail for murder in the US. 

This guy has spent over 50 years in jail.

Don't you think he has paid the price for his actions ?

Edited by Ilunga

1 hour ago, Ilunga said:

Bobby was the John without the faults.

He was a man I greatly admire.

That was a time when some politicians actually cared about the people who elected them.

He was one of them.

Didn’t the Kennedy brothers share Marlynn?

5 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Its been fifty years. He's done his time. It shouldn't matter who the victim is. Murder is murder.  Feel the same about hate crimes. Punish the act equally not the reason. 

Sure in theory.  In actual practice unfortunately, "money talks, merit walks".

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Sure in theory.  In actual practice unfortunately, "money talks, merit walks".

Sadly that's true. The better the lawyer you can afford or influence you have the better 'justice' you will get.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, gurn said:

If the guy had mudered some one that wasn't famous; he would have been free 25-35 years ago.

1 hour ago, Gnarcore said:

Its been fifty years. He's done his time. It shouldn't matter who the victim is. Murder is murder.  Feel the same about hate crimes. Punish the act equally not the reason. 

That is the sad truth, when people say they have done their time though, have they really?

The innocent dead person is not coming back from his time dead,  loved ones pains who won't enjoy thinking a murderer is enjoying life, (while the dead is not) and they will always have a huge whole of their life missing forever of pain and sorrow

Who decides what is right for other's pain?

If releasing a murderer upsets a loved one left behind, why subject THEM to more pain of releasing a murderer?

IMO

If a board has deemed it ok, it should always be the immediate families final decision, without subjecting them to lengthy hearings

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

IMO

If a board has deemed it ok, it should always be the immediate families final decision, without subjecting them to lengthy hearings

Completely disagree.

Justice needs to be equal and impartial, involving families doesn't do that.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

That is the sad truth, when people say they have done their time though, have they really?

The innocent dead person is not coming back from his time dead,  loved ones pains who won't enjoy thinking a murderer is enjoying life, (while the dead is not) and they will always have a huge whole of their life missing forever of pain and sorrow

Who decides what is right for other's pain?

If releasing a murderer upsets a loved one left behind, why subject THEM to more pain of releasing a murderer?

IMO

It has been 50 years. It should never be on the family. That is ridiculous. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Maybe they should remove pain and suffering from ALL judgements then? in your opinion if justice isn't based on it

You want justice based on how different people feel pain. I prefer not.

Your way means if the family of that degenerate, gang member, drug dealing, scum bag don't care that their boy got offed, the killer gets it easy.

But if the family of that nice, boy scout leading, St. John's Ambulance volunteer cares, then the killer gets different justice.

no thanks.

Edited by gurn
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1