The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Offer Sheet] Hurricanes offer sheet Jesperi Kotkaniemi

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Are you sure?

The CBA talks of 1st refusal right and CapFriendly even has him on Carolina's page.  That would seem to suggest that he's Carolina's till Montreal refuses the offer-sheet.

Capfriendly posted that because Carolinas cap is frozen until the decision is made they added him to the the Hurricanes page .  But officially he’s still a Hab until a decision is made.  At least that’s my impression of things. Regardless Montreal can still deal with him 

Edited by qwijibo

1 minute ago, warrchief said:

Well if this happens, then Montreal lost two top 9 centers this offseason and they have no depth to get out of that hole. Montreal is going to be brutal this year.

They picked up Hoffman and Paquette in free agency and they’ll have Caufield and Drouin for the full season (Caufield only played 9 or so regular season games for them last season and Drouin missed 1/2 the season). The bigger concern is the lack of depth at C. But overall the forward depth didn’t take that big a hit. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

They picked up Hoffman and Paquette in free agency and they’ll have Caufield and Drouin for the full season (Caufield only played 9 or so regular season games for them last season and Drouin missed 1/2 the season). The bigger concern is the lack of depth at C. But overall the forward depth didn’t take that big a hit. 

Is Drouin actually going to be good to go for next season? He left for personal reasons. I personally havent heard anything on wether or not he is going to be playing next season. Have you seen/heard something that Drouin is okay?

Just now, knucklehead91 said:

Is Drouin actually going to be good to go for next season? He left for personal reasons. I personally havent heard anything on wether or not he is going to be playing next season. Have you seen/heard something that Drouin is okay?

Both Bergevin and Ducharme have said Drouin is feeling great and they expect him at training camp next month 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Oh I get that it’s within the rules and I’m not suggesting it would or even should be looked at. All I’m saying is that KK, a guy who most said should max out in the 2.5-3 range signs a deal for 6m and would be eligible for 5.85?  minimum under arbitration next year. So if they have a handshake agreement for him to sign (just picking numbers here) for 3 yrs at 4M rather than at least his arb numbers then clearly it’s designed to get around the offer sheet rules. They can discuss an extension once he’s under contract with them but can they have those parameters in place now outside of the offer sheet?

Let me say again, I have no dog in the fight and I like what has happened but the league has shown in the past that it takes a dim view of attempts to skirt the rules. All I said was that MB is backed into a corner and I imagine he’s grasping for options.

By increasing the cap they are also increasing the compensation.  At 4M it would only be a 2nd round pick vs a 1st + a 3rd.  

Montreal can already start to negotiate an extension (can't be filed before January) but they have nearly a year to convince him to sign a contract rather than his qualifying offer.

Players are allowed to talk future contracts.  Minnesota just signed Goligoski to a 5M deal with the understanding that if things go well they'll sign him to an extension at a much lower cap hit.  They are paying him up front because in a season they will have significantly less cap space.  

Edited by mll

If I was MTL I'd let CAR have him, take the picks, trade those for C help now. Kotkaniemi isn't really a game-changer, I don't believe. I'm not sure fans were thrilled Bergevan drafted him to begin with. 

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

If I was MTL I'd let CAR have him, take the picks, trade those for C help now. Kotkaniemi isn't really a game-changer, I don't believe. I'm not sure fans were thrilled Bergevan drafted him to begin with. 

Kotkaniemi has a high ceiling and only just turned 21. He very well could be a game changer as he develops more.  Montreal is unlikely to get a player with his skills with a late 1st.  It also leaves them with a hole at the 2C position.  It’s a complicated decision for them to make.  The huge overpayment Carolina signed JK to puts Montreal in a bad spot regardless of what they do 

• Vintage 2

36 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Capfriendly posted that because Carolinas cap is frozen until the decision is made they added him to the the Hurricanes page .  But officially he’s still a Hab until a decision is made.  At least that’s my impression of things. Regardless Montreal can still deal with him 

Media covers the qualifying offer issue but can't seem to find anyone listing negotiating a future extension before matching as an option.  Seems like an important option if they are allowed to talk to him - it could make the decision to match easier knowing that he'll sign an extension for less.  

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

So if MTL steps up and pays Kotkaniemi, will CAR go after Suzuki next year?

Either way, the very idea that they might is great and this random, very petty rivalry between the two organizations is a lot of fun to watch. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, mll said:

Media covers the qualifying offer issue but can't seem to find anyone listing negotiating a future extension before matching as an option.  Seems like an important option if they are allowed to talk to him - it could make the decision to match easier knowing that he'll sign an extension for less.  

Definitely. This is a much more difficult decision to make than the Aho offer sheet.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see Montreal take close to the full 7 days to examine every option 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Kotkaniemi has a high ceiling and only just turned 21. He very well could be a game changer as he develops more.  Montreal is unlikely to get a player with his skills with a late 1st.  It also leaves them with a hole at the 2C position.  It’s a complicated decision for them to make.  The huge overpayment Carolina signed JK to puts Montreal in a bad spot regardless of what they do 

To me it seemed like the Habs were expecting JK to fill Danault’s role.  Danault is gone, and if they don’t match for JK the Habs will need use this week to have a deal in place for another centre who can play those minutes.  

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

To me it seemed like the Habs were expecting JK to fill Danault’s role.  Danault is gone, and if they don’t match for JK the Habs will need use this week to have a deal in place for another centre who can play those minutes.  

Yes. They need to decide if they want to commit to Kotkaniemi to that extent or try to find another alternative like Dvorak 

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

jason Dickinson would have been a great replacement for Jesperi when looking strictly at this upcoming season. 

I am loving JB's offseason moves.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1