The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

“New World Order”

CBH1926

7 hours ago, JM_ said:

I think there's something about phones now that help lead to self hypnosis and ultimately believing this weird crap. I don't have the background to get too deep into it, but I suspect it has something to do with the endorphin rush some people get with online groups and also always having it on hand to reinforce ideas. 

It's not the phones themselves but the algorithms some social media platforms use. 

Once they know what subject's/ beliefs you are interested in they direct more of those to your "feed".

It all comes down to critical thinking,ones ability or lack of ability to think critically about a subject/beliefs and also have the courage to admit to yourself and others you are wrong sometimes.

With our phones we have the ability to research like never before.

There is no excuse for ignorance.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

It's not the phones themselves but the algorithms some social media platforms use. 

Once they know what subject's/ beliefs you are interested in they direct more of those to your "feed".

It all comes down to critical thinking,ones ability or lack of ability to think critically about a subject/beliefs and also have the courage to admit to yourself and others you are wrong sometimes.

With our phones we have the ability to research like never before.

There is no excuse for ignorance.

yeah its the "feeds" that annoy me the most. I don't want to be fed info, I like to go look for it. Its really lazy too. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

I read Two articles that said he likely learned to be a doctor in Antioch.  He was the only gentile writer in the new testament writing the book of Luke and acts. 

OK now this is where it gets interesting for me. Likely learned in Greece, called a "physician". The Greeks certainly had and were working towards the scientific method. 

So this seems like a slam dunk to me in terms of Christians accepting science... so what the heck is driving the few groups that reject it in the name of the bible? 

Edited by JM_

8 minutes ago, JM_ said:

OK now this is where it gets interesting for me. Likely learned in Greece, called a "physician". The Greeks certainly had and were working towards the scientific method. 

So this seems like a slam dunk to me in terms of Christians accepting science... so what the heck is driving the few groups that reject it in the name of the bible? 

Christians will reject science where it contradicts the Bible.   Otherwise, I think they are fine with it.

As far as science goes I've seen Christian scientists disagree with secular scientist. Like on age of the earth for example. 

13 minutes ago, JM_ said:

And what groups are you referring to? And science regarding what? The vaccine? 

2 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Christians will reject science where it contradicts the Bible.   Otherwise, I think they are fine with it.

As far as science goes I've seen Christian scientists disagree with secular scientist. Like on age of the earth for example. 

Is that what leads to things like the museum of creation? where they have man and dinosaur hanging out at the same time?

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Is that what leads to things like the museum of creation? where they have man and dinosaur hanging out at the same time?

If I tried to get into that with you I would be in over my head to be honest. 

You could always check out the debate between Bill nye and Ken ham on that topic if you wanted an informed opinion . 

Just now, erkayloomeh said:

If I tried to get into that with you I would be in over my head to be honest. 

You could always check out the debate between Bill nye and Ken ham on that topic if you wanted an informed opinion . 

Yes, I have seen the debate.

But that is what you were referring to, right?

38 minutes ago, JM_ said:

As I have stated in another thread it only took the church 350 years to accept that Galileo was right in determining the earth revolves around the sun.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, erkayloomeh said:

to me it appears to be more of a mixed bag that people pick and choose from. Sometimes its OK for Billy Graham to bless the troops, but its not OK to support Planned Parenthood. People seem to pick and choose what supports the things they want to believe. No one believes the entire book verbatim anymore. 

But I also get that faith is an ongoing thing, something you work at your whole life. 

37 minutes ago, JM_ said:

to me it appears to be more of a mixed bag that people pick and choose from. Sometimes its OK for Billy Graham to bless the troops, but its not OK to support Planned Parenthood. People seem to pick and choose what supports the things they want to believe. No one believes the entire book verbatim anymore. 

But I also get that faith is an ongoing thing, something you work at your whole life. 

I believe the entire book.  If you claim to be a Christian and you don't then your in trouble. 

Believing it and understanding it however are two different things.

Have you ever read revelation. 

Sounds like there was some pretty good acid out there 2000 years ago doesn't it. 

It's just written in code. 

But your exactly right. My faith is an ongoing thing and will work on it my whole life. It's hard to because I'm not very book smart. Poor attention span. Barely squeeked through school. But I can build anything. If God needs another ark build I'm sure I'll get asked.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I don't even know what a priesthood blessing is. Is that catholic ?  Jehovahs witness maybe? 

Nobody will survive the Christian faith if they pay attention to what certain individuals do in the name of God.  I told you before, Christ's main problem was the religious. 

Do you know how many times I've been hurt by someone in the church? I left for 7 years once because of something.

But I just can't hold God responsible for that anymore. He created us all with a free will. He isn't controlling everyone and some people are just flat out deceived. 

• Cheers 1