The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Which is a big part of why we'd need to walk away. With this roster I believe we should almost be a sure thing to make it assuming guys stay healthy, if we miss out coaching will inevitably be a part of why. 

I'm not going to say he's an awful coach, but we've got to have success while our stars are still young/prime aged and if he can't help us do that we need someone who can. 

I think giving him a full season only to miss the playoffs in the end is not an option given the roster.

Letting him go at the end of the season after missing the playoffs is too late.

As you say, we've got the roster to make the playoffs this season after the moves that we made and the core getting older and better.

I think we should fire Green if we are underperforming in the first 20-30 games.

Wasting away one more year of prime playing time for Bo, Miller, OEL, EP, QH, Demko because of a coach that's not ready for the NHL? Just thinking about that makes my blood boil with anger.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Why in the focht is Focht still on our roster? Haven’t noticed anything at all from him really. Is it just so he can earn from the experience or for coaching to get a better look? Otherwise, seems a lil focht up to me.

He missed the start of camp, I think they wanted to get a look at how confident he is against NHL competition at center. If he shows well, then they can use him as a call up during the year. If not, they might look at grabbing someone from waivers to help fill in.

4 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

He missed the start of camp, I think they wanted to get a look at how confident he is against NHL competition at center. If he shows well, then they can use him as a call up during the year. If not, they might look at grabbing someone from waivers to help fill in.

Ahhh yes, thanks 

6 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

JT Miller is the most underrated player in the league. This guy would be the captain on a lot of teams.

Lead our team in scoring since being traded here.

Hard guy to play against.

Good at faceoffs.

Good defensively.

Makes his teammates better.

I'd trade 2 first rounders for this guy. 

Many of JBs moves are talked about either in criticism or in defence. This is one that I feel gets no recognition. This trade was a clear win.

Yeah he’s a heart and soul guy. 
Undervalued, for sure.

Just needs to control his temper a bit better (if he was a Captain) and and take a few less inopportune penalties.

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

Yeah he’s a heart and soul guy. 
Undervalued, for sure.

Just needs to control his temper a bit better (if he was a Captain) and and take a few less inopportune penalties.

The penalties maybe. But the temper I don't mind. I want these guys to hate losing.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, khay said:

I think giving him a full season only to miss the playoffs in the end is not an option given the roster.

Letting him go at the end of the season after missing the playoffs is too late.

As you say, we've got the roster to make the playoffs this season after the moves that we made and the core getting older and better.

I think we should fire Green if we are underperforming in the first 20-30 games.

Wasting away one more year of prime playing time for Bo, Miller, OEL, EP, QH, Demko because of a coach that's not ready for the NHL? Just thinking about that makes my blood boil with anger.

Agreed, JB's done a solid job upgrading the roster this summer, if the coaching staff are the weak link they need to go while the season is salvageable. We should be a playoff team, regardless of what the pundits seem to believe. The only team who should clearly be ahead of us is Vegas, and I think we've got the talent to beat em out. Edmonton dressed their starting lineup last night and we were right there with them despite missing like 8-10 regulars. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I think we’re looking good on Offence, lots of mix and matches,.  Our PP and Pk should be solid.

Looking forward to the return of Motte, I’ve always said that he is a catalyst for even strength through the 4 lines.

I think we,re still missing something on D,  if Oli J could be showing more potential, I’d say we’re ok, but..

its been a lot of  time spent with his player, and mediocrity is hard for him to skate away from.

Our Goalie depth is amazing actually.. I especially like Silovs.

Demko and Halak a great tandem.

.. and I think we have another euro prospect that is looking very well.

i wonder if Depietro is traceable to Montreal, with or without OJ. for Romanov.

the Habs might need the future depth.

Of course Bergevin might be to scared to make any moves this season.

Not even the ballpark for Romonov. He's a top notch prospect. They love him and they should. 

9 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

The penalties maybe. But the temper I don't mind. I want these guys to hate losing.

Absolutely! I hear ya. But apparently he can be pretty abrasive or create a bit of a negative cloud around himself and some teammates don’t respond well to that being projected on them as well.

21 hours ago, JamesBlondage said:

The guy did everything they asked him too, worked his butt off to get quicker and lost ten pounds. He looked quick and made some great plays in his limited preseason ice time. He certainly looked better than Big Mac and I would argue there were a few more players he outplayed....it’s a shame and I have a feeling Gadjovich is going to be a very good player still.

I think as usual and I'm just as guilty, are letting their emotions cloud the reality of the situation.

First and most important he required waivers,

meaning in order for him to make the team he had to be one of the 13th best forwards on the team but really he had to be the 6th or 7th best because for him to shine and help the club he needed to be in the top six and he absolutely wasn't. So that right there already was against him. Just because someone has more talent doesn't make them a better fit, he doesn't kill penalties, he isn't very good defensively and with our injury situation, we need guys that can come in and play any role not a guy who can't be trusted with hard defensive minutes.

Personally, I'm happy the team is good enough where tweeners are no longer being relied upon, the sharks suck and have very little top six players, just like us 2+ years ago when guys like Granlund, Sven, Goldy, LE, etc were fixtures in our top six.

I also think Benning did him a solid, waiving him, he might get a legit chance on a weak team instead of being on a team he where there wasn't a spot open that would allow him to be at his best.

Plus we have younger kids in the system that have passed him or should. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

I think as usual and I'm just as guilty, are letting their emotions cloud the reality of the situation.

First and most important he required waivers,

meaning in order for him to make the team he had to be one of the 13th best forwards on the team but really he had to be the 6th or 7th best because for him to shine and help the club he needed to be in the top six and he absolutely wasn't. So that right there already was against him. Just because someone has more talent doesn't make them a better fit, he doesn't kill penalties, he isn't very good defensively and with our injury situation, we need guys that can come in and play any role not a guy who can't be trusted with hard defensive minutes.

Personally, I'm happy the team is good enough where tweeners are no longer being relied upon, the sharks suck and have very little top six players, just like us 2+ years ago when guys like Granlund, Sven, Goldy, LE, etc were fixtures in our top six.

I also think Benning did him a solid, waiving him, he might get a legit chance on a weak team instead of being on a team he where there wasn't a spot open that would allow him to be at his best.

Plus we have younger kids in the system that have passed him or should. 

True. One really good thing about JB is he does try to find opportunity elsewhere for guys who aren’t in the cards. Respect.

Also with Gadj, need to make room for Klimovich and top line minutes in Abby 

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Might be good to send MacEwen down, and at least sit him for the next couple against EDM. VAN should try to defuse that situation. They don't need targets on their backs as payback for the Kassian injury.. 

No need. MacEwan can fight someone else and it will be over.

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Canuck Luck said:

No need. MacEwan can fight someone else and it will be over.

No need for him to even fight anyone else. He didn’t do anything wrong.

It was a complete accident that unfortunately happens sometimes. It’s why it’s so important for the refs to jump in as soon as a players helmet comes off.

17 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No need for him to even fight anyone else. He didn’t do anything wrong.

It was a complete accident that unfortunately happens sometimes. It’s why it’s so important for the refs to jump in as soon as a players helmet comes off.

Maybe so. But that is not how NHL hockey is played usually.