The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, billabong said:

Ya I tend to agree. Dickinsons game has no flash to attract eyes so if he’s playing well you won’t notice him 

Yup.  When Dickinson is playing well (much like Poolman) it allows their linemates to shine.  Excellent, and much needed, complimentary players.  

• Upvote 1

It should be noted that if Miller does end up playing C then Dickinson can play any wing and can Sutter 4th C. That way we have at least 3/4 centres that are 50% or higher on the dot. 

I imagine a Pearson-Horvat-Dickinson line would probably be one of the better shut down lines in the league.

Or you could move Pearson with Petey and Hog with Horvat if you want more balance on both lines. 

Miller as C gives us a lot of options and makes our top 9 better. 

12 minutes ago, billabong said:

Ya I tend to agree. Dickinsons game has no flash to attract eyes so if he’s playing well you won’t notice him 

Listening to the play by play of the scrimmage was very encouraging of his play. Batch never made any direct comments about Dickinson's play but there were 3 or 4 times I heard him say things like "Player X coming down the wing... and Dickinson with the steal on the backcheck and the play heads to other way." 

I was excited every time I heard that as I think that is pretty much a perfect example of what he is going to bring to this team and something that is much needed.

Edited by 204CanucksFan
  • Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

So we just keep him on the team and sit him in the pressbox all year to protect him. What if other players are better which I suspect they will be? It could be dicey but I would he's 80% likely to clear if sent down early.

We need some sandpaper. I'm hoping he & ZM somehow make the cut.

edit: Gadjovich discussed(for curiosity's sake)

Edited by Nuxfanabroad

9 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

Both Dickenson and Motte PK. Then you have Pearson and ...

We have no idea when Motte will be ready and Pearson never killed penalties before coming here, for good reason. Di Guiseppe is a good penalty killer and has been good in camp and although he doesn't PK, Petan does play center and can play in the top 6 when there's injuries. I think these guys have more value and a better shot to make the team than a bottom six winger that doesn't play on special teams.

I think there's 1 winger spot for lockwood, Gadj, Podz, and whoever else to fight over. 

42 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

You have to have at minimum 4 good penalty killers at forward. This line-up means Bo, Miller, and Pearson have to kill penalties. Nevermind that none of them are even good at it, we don't want Bo and Miller used up on the PK. Unfortunately most of the guys battling for spots need to be good on the PK. Guys like Gadjovich, Lockwood, Big Mac and even Podz have a tough road to making the team since they are bottom six wingers that won't be on the penalty kill. AKA, the least important player on the team.

Actually Lockwood is a penalty killer!  He scored a nice shorthanded goal in the AHL last season! 

2 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

We have no idea when Motte will be ready and Pearson never killed penalties before coming here, for good reason. Di Guiseppe is a good penalty killer and has been good in camp and although he doesn't PK, Petan does play center and can play in the top 6 when there's injuries. I think these guys have more value and a better shot to make the team than a bottom six winger that doesn't play on special teams.

I think there's 1 winger spot for lockwood, Gadj, Podz, and whoever else to fight over. 

Lockwood is great on the PK.  He’s definitely in the bottom six.  Pods is a beast of an awesome player, and will be in our top nine.  PLus, Pods will PK.  

If Motte and Sutter aren’t ready to go, we still have Dickinson, Pearson, Miller, Bo, Lockwood, and Pods to PK.  Garland is a very smart and hard nosed player too, so can also PK.  

10 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

Pearson averaged about 1 min per game on the PK his last 3 full seasons in LA - about the same usage as now in Vancouver. 

• Like 1