The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

3 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Thanks for this. So good to hear the other side of the argument. 

Is it true though that Buffalo tried to change his style of play? We can probably all agree that if Green stifled Hughes freedom, he might not be the same player he is currently

Green stifled Peteys freedom and people here talk about how Petey hasn’t showed enough.

Dahlin is probably molded by their coach into the player he wants.

So the value of Dahlin and Petey isn’t shown jet on the rink.

It will show thenext couple of years.

Petey, the agents, Green and Benning knows this. 
Benning just don’t pay for what is visible today but also for what Benning/Green mold Petey into.

• RoughGame 1

16 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

I have a better option. Tell Petty he is not playing this year so he can play with Dahlen his best buddy

Well, if both Dahlen and Petey would play for Timrå this season, WOW.

But it won’t happen. Even if Dahlen get sent down from the Sharks Petey will never go back until he retires.

Petey won’t leave the Canucks either.

we’re contenders now in my view. 

8 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Well, if both Dahlen and Petey would play for Timrå this season, WOW.

But it won’t happen. Even if Dahlen get sent down from the Sharks Petey will never go back until he retires.

Petey won’t leave the Canucks either.

we’re contenders now in my view. 

Are we? But you want the person that made us that way gone and to ruin the team with bad signings. Fairly certain you are not really a fan of the Canucks but rather a fan of a couple of Swedes on the team.

10 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

Are we? But you want the person that made us that way gone and to ruin the team with bad signings. Fairly certain you are not really a fan of the Canucks but rather a fan of a couple of Swedes on the team.

Let Benning run scouting… Not anything where HR or media is involved.

For me it’s a big difference between gone and running the scouts/drafting.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

Let Benning run scouting… Not anything where HR or media is involved.

For me it’s a big difference between gone and running the scouts/drafting.

when was the last time you saw an nhl executive get demoted instead of fired?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, FaninMex said:

Why? You said we are a contender. 

And? There is nothing contradictionary about that. 

You have a lot of examples when someone drafts good and then someone more diplomatic steps in and take over since drafting isn't the priority.

Now it's player management, HR, media etc... Bennings achilles heels. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Green stifled Peteys freedom and people here talk about how Petey hasn’t showed enough.

Dahlin is probably molded by their coach into the player he wants.

So the value of Dahlin and Petey isn’t shown jet on the rink.

It will show thenext couple of years.

Petey, the agents, Green and Benning knows this. 
Benning just don’t pay for what is visible today but also for what Benning/Green mold Petey into.

That's delusional.   Under TG, he's got three Calder guys in a row.   And Pearson who was basically done, came back from the brink (go look at the articles about that).   If anything EP and QHs should be thanking their lucky stars they didn't have a coach like Torts.   QHs would be playing 17-18 minutes and benched all the time ... also probably already on the trade block.   He lets his young players - well play and make mistakes.   True story. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Well, if Petey and Hughes are supposed to take team friendly contracts why can't Benning take a team friendly demotion? 

Because there's precedence for team friendly contracts around the league, and even on our own team, but no precedence for an NHL executive taking a demotion.

Cmon dude, argue in good faith.

3 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

But no precedence for an NHL executive taking a demotion.

I'm not arguing either way in regards to Benning here but that's not exactly true. Teams don't demote executives but they will shuffle them away into some role with a fancier title and fewer responsibilities when they want to make a change but not outright fire them. We saw this most recently with Ken Holland in Detroit before he left for Edmonton. You can argue its not technically a demotion or that it's a ploy to get them to leave or whatever but as far as I'm concerned if they're directly diminishing your authority and scope on decision making you're being demoted.

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

That's delusional.   Under TG, he's got three Calder guys in a row.   And Pearson who was basically done, came back from the brink (go look at the articles about that).   If anything EP and QHs should be thanking their lucky stars they didn't have a coach like Torts.   QHs would be playing 17-18 minutes and benched all the time ... also probably already on the trade block.   He lets his young players - well play and make mistakes.   True story. 

I'm not sure why you say delusional? 

Isn't Green molding Petey withmore responsibiliy etc? 200foot?

9 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Because there's precedence for team friendly contracts around the league, and even on our own team, but no precedence for an NHL executive taking a demotion.

Cmon dude, argue in good faith.

I solve things. That means nothing is impossible, not even a GM demotion. 

7 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

I'm not sure why you say delusional? 

Isn't Green molding Petey withmore responsibiliy etc? 200foot?

What is it - is TG "ruining EP and QHs" or helping them.   It can't be both.   And from my understanding, he's helping these young guys a lot - and quite a few teams would be hiring him if he didn't get an extension.   This anti-Green stuff is ridiculous

• Cheers 1