The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

On Canucks Lines...

Rate this topic

alloy

huh yeah. ic. but also horvat miller petterson shud be the 'panic line' a la Marc crowford/avs when he had pete forsberg,milan heiduk, and alex tanguay. to also mentio his tenure with the canucks where he could roll with naslund,morrison,bertuzzi or even double shift bertuzzi with sedins .power not used is....inertia? (Phisix check). First shift should also be last shift....at least at home where they have the last change.

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Stacking all our centres on one line would leave a massive dearth of faceoff-taking ability on our other lines. It's a poor allocation of resources IMO. Spread out the faceoff aces in Horvat and Miller. 

Yes i've been hoping for this since we added Garland and Podz's arrival.   Even Dickinson as a winger though playing with Sutter.  Get with BB out we need a top line with Miller on it .... happy to see that it looks like Miller might play C tonight, would spread out our offense a little, and that's only with BB back.   Maybe that was always the plan, but with too many guys out in the bottom six it just wasn't time to try that yet? 

I actually think the strength of this team is that we can roll 4 proper lines. Relentless pressure from 3 lines, plus a shutdown line. Yes, we can stack up during a PP, but I think combining 3 guys who can all play center is going to hurt us more than it would help us.

I would really like to see what Bo and Petey can do on a line together, they're the only two forwards who really haven't been experimented together. If you think about it Bo could really use his physicality to open up some ice for Pettersson and would help cover and defend a bit better as Petey is so often caught deep up ice. As to who plays with them...ideally a playmaker like perhaps Garland or Hoglander, as Brock would give us too many shooters on the same line.

Pettersson - Horvat - Hoglander

Garland - Miller - Boeser

Would be worth a shot if/when this top-6 starts to struggle scoring later down the line.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Alpha said:

Hello.

One suggestion is horvat/miller/petterson together.  This would provide a line for offensive power and superior faceoff ability. 

This definitely merited its own thread.

Thank you for that.

30 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I would really like to see what Bo and Petey can do on a line together, they're the only two forwards who really haven't been experimented together. If you think about it Bo could really use his physicality to open up some ice for Pettersson and would help cover and defend a bit better as Petey is so often caught deep up ice. As to who plays with them...ideally a playmaker like perhaps Garland or Hoglander, as Brock would give us too many shooters on the same line.

Would be worth a shot if/when this top-6 starts to struggle scoring later down the line.

I would like to see this as well. Not sure Petey has the faceoff chops of a top line C and could use his shot more effectively on the wing. 

I think we have the players now to try some different looks in the top 6 to shake up the predictability. I doubt this happens until we get a new coach though. 

Both those lines have a good playmaker, a puck retriever/forechecker, and an elite shooter. Good net front presence in those c too which gives the wingers more space and opportunity. 

Edited by wallstreetamigo

54 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

The more I think about it, the more I love those lines.  I really want to see them now!

Team need to play to its strengths.  For the first time since Green arrived, we actually have a solid and deep forward group.   Doesn't help that we start the season with 3 top 12 guys out...but by the looks of it TG is willing to play ball anyways.   Loading up two lines can work if your EDM/ PIT or WSH.   But guys that don't have generational players, play to your strengths.   Ours is our forward group.    It's deep.   Glad to see Miller playing with Podz, Hogs - EP - BB.   Miller is our swiss army knife use him.   Glad Dickinson is where he really should be - the fourth line.   Used exactly how he should be, when Sutter is out.   All it took was ONE of those guys back and Green is doing the right thing.    Just hope he actually rolls three lines tonight.   We need a quick start.   We score the first goal, and then roll the lines Buffalo will get overwhelmed.  This team absolutely needs to get the lead early, because once we do, not many teams will be capable of managing us. 

• 2 months later...

Powerplay drill monday.

Boeser - Petterson - Miller

Extra attacker - Horvat

Myers - Hughes on d/point

Hoglander - Garland - Pearson

Extra attacker - v. Podolzkin

Ekman-Larsson - schenn on d/point

i would really like to see this. Thanks.

Just happy to see Bruce creating lines that play to our teams strengths.    Green tried but it didn't work for him ... and not soon or long enough.   We have 3 legit top line C's...Horvat is close enough and plays against the league best all the time to merit that distinction despite not quite getting his points ... although even that's close to the top 30 territory since Miller came ... Miller is 5th in TOI for C's this year, Horvat is 11th, says a lot doesn't it?    EP ... well we all know what he can do, and should be our first line C permanently at some point during his bridge deal - after absolutely.  

As far as wingers go we have two weapons in BB and Garland, and plenty of middle six lunch pail guys.    Rolling three lines has been and should be hard to defend against 5 x 5 as long as our stars play like it...Bruce there it is.   Thank god for that.  

Edited by IBatch