The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Inflation : 40 Year High

Industrious1

7 minutes ago, ronthecivil said:

LOLZ

I personally like companies with net cash positions, prospects for growth, and ideally dividends, so I don't really worry about what in the long term is "noise" to me, it's just funny to bring up.

I don't even understand how to be a day trader nor do I want to so those kind of things are irrelevant to me.

There is a lot of dough to be made in short term moves. I've day traded all sorts of products but mainly equities for 23 or 24 years.

But yeah it's not for everyone. The vast majority of the population should approach it the way you do. Buy quality companies with good balance sheets and wait it out.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, nuckin_futz said:

There is a lot of dough to be made in short term moves. I've day traded all sorts of products but mainly equities for 23 or 24 years.

But yeah it's not for everyone. The vast majority of the population should approach it the way you do. Buy quality companies with good balance sheets and wait it out.

I catch myself thinking I am smarter than I am at times. Years of good markets will do that to people. I tell my wife to whack me with a rolled newspaper! 

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, ronthecivil said:

LOLZ

I personally like companies with net cash positions, prospects for growth, and ideally dividends, so I don't really worry about what in the long term is "noise" to me, it's just funny to bring up.

I don't even understand how to be a day trader nor do I want to so those kind of things are irrelevant to me.

I want to see companies buy. This will/could be a great opportunity to buy stressed assets for companies sitting on cash.

18 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Powell said doesn't look like a recession.       

All good then, move along. 

:mellow:

Well the US just had two quarters of negative GDP growth, so technically a recession. Canada would be in the same boat if not for the oil industry. Right now Canada has 1 million job vacancies (don't confuse that with unemployment, it's the opposite). Even with some layoffs the US is in the same boat.

So growth is slow (but not all over) and there's jobs to be had. It's as though the recession has a built in method to solve itself. I guess if inflation keeps going, the urge to say take a job might increase! If the labour market leveled out, it would increase GDP, and what's more, while the higher salaries that are out there are inflationary, that's built in, and filing those jobs would actually be economic growth which is the nice carrot way of fighting inflation.

Perhaps JT should worry less about looking like Bieber and saying sorry full time and instead direct Canadians towards those jobs....

18 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

I want to see companies buy. This will/could be a great opportunity to buy stressed assets for companies sitting on cash.

I am kind of shocked that say a big international oil company doesn't buy up a whole whack of Canadian small cap oil companies (maybe target a specific oil basin and buy the lot) since they are still at pretty low prices. More wells without drilling!

3 hours ago, ronthecivil said:

I am kind of shocked that say a big international oil company doesn't buy up a whole whack of Canadian small cap oil companies (maybe target a specific oil basin and buy the lot) since they are still at pretty low prices. More wells without drilling!

With all the anti oil sentiment in Canada for the past 7 years I cannot see why oil companies would invest more money? I guess they haven't been. I see the Saudis admitted today that they cannot ramp up production as much as they thought. Russian production has peaked as well. The sanctions have taken away their access to western oil tech that was maintaining their flow rates.  

3 hours ago, ronthecivil said:

They don't want to do business with JT.

23 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

My friend has also been day trading for a long time. Depending on the size of your float you can make anywhere from $20k-$50k in a single trading session.

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

With all the anti oil sentiment in Canada for the past 7 years I cannot see why oil companies would invest more money? I guess they haven't been. I see the Saudis admitted today that they cannot ramp up production as much as they thought. Russian production has peaked as well. The sanctions have taken away their access to western oil tech that was maintaining their flow rates.  

LOL. Their investors are telling them not to. 

Why expand your industry when your making hand over fist, and yet, the stock price doesn't rise?

I look forward to seeing how anti oil everyone is when gas hits four buck a litre!

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Sometimes more. :ph34r:

I can sleep at night being a cowboy (even with leverage!) investor that uses value to guide my decisions and long term thoughts including tax implications to guide my thoughts. Plus the longer I do it the better my track record has been so I don't want to change.

Being greedy and day trading is not my forte, and plus potential tax issues, and plus extra stress. Right now on long term stuff, I don't even sweat when things go down. I figure out how to double down instead.

On 7/27/2022 at 10:11 AM, RUPERTKBD said:

All I know is that no matter how much the supply chain issues stemming from China's Covid response and the effect on gas prices (due to the war in Ukraine) contribute to inflation, it's still going to be Trudeau's fault for "printing money"....

12 hours ago, ronthecivil said:

Well the US just had two quarters of negative GDP growth, so technically a recession. Canada would be in the same boat if not for the oil industry. Right now Canada has 1 million job vacancies (don't confuse that with unemployment, it's the opposite). Even with some layoffs the US is in the same boat.

So growth is slow (but not all over) and there's jobs to be had. It's as though the recession has a built in method to solve itself. I guess if inflation keeps going, the urge to say take a job might increase! If the labour market leveled out, it would increase GDP, and what's more, while the higher salaries that are out there are inflationary, that's built in, and filing those jobs would actually be economic growth which is the nice carrot way of fighting inflation.

Perhaps JT should worry less about looking like Bieber and saying sorry full time and instead direct Canadians towards those jobs....

Accurate observation @RUPERTKBD

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, ronthecivil said:

I can sleep at night being a cowboy (even with leverage!) investor that uses value to guide my decisions and long term thoughts including tax implications to guide my thoughts. Plus the longer I do it the better my track record has been so I don't want to change.

Being greedy and day trading is not my forte, and plus potential tax issues, and plus extra stress. Right now on long term stuff, I don't even sweat when things go down. I figure out how to double down instead.

Just imagine the accounting bill for a day trader. Factor that into your P&L. :) 

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Just imagine the accounting bill for a day trader. Factor that into your P&L. :) 

It's fairly simple. My accountant just wants to see all bank statements for my corporation. Total assets at beginning of year and total assets at end of year. The rest is the profit which is declared. Statements for all brokerage accounts. And of course any cash that is shuffled around, loans etc.

There is no mountain of paperwork showing every trade.

It's a fairly simple return and usually is about $750.

• Upvote 1

There has to be some kind of balance, middle ground.

Renewable energy, long term jobs, rules to keep corporations from running amok, but at the same time balanced enough to make money.

Developing higher wages, improving schools, hospitals.

Protecting the environment, keeping our streets safe.

The problem seems to be no one wants to compromise, or find common ground. Everyone is functioning on extremes.

I don't like what any of the political parties seem to be supporting.