The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

coaching - time capsule?

Rate this topic

LTC123

I don't play hockey....I've never played hockey....or, for that matter, been a part of any athletic teams:  but I love watching hockey.

Anyway, my image of a hockey coach is a Pat Burns, Ken Hitchcock, Mike Keenan, Joel Quenneville type of coach:   a seasoned "won it all", strict, no fuss, follow me, type of leader.

I see a lot of younger coaches now in the NHL:  most who never won a cup....or anything?   ....what advice would they have for Kane and Towes?     How has NHL coaching changed?  Why would Towes and Kane listen to their coach?  Why would Pettersson and Hughes listen to Green if he has never won a cup before?   What is the current role of NHL coaches?    How do you motivate a 24 year old making $8M a year?

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Pat Quinn never won a Cup but I have never heard of anyone who didn't respect him.

so, it's a matter of respect from players towards coach?    Doesn't matter who's behind the bench?  Respect comes 1st?

Only one team wins the cup a year, it's not uncommon for coaches to never win it all. But that lack of winning a championship doesn't take away from the years of coaching experience these guys have, or their often lived experience of having been hockey players themselves. 

• Like 1

As @Coconuts said, in a 32-team league that's been 30+ teams for 20 years, not many players nor coaches get to win a Cup, even some great ones.

I'd also say everyone needs to begin somewhere. If only coaches who've won in the past are hired, what happens when they all retire? Even the legendary great old coaches started their first NHL job without any legacy of success at the highest level.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, LTC123 said:

I don't play hockey....I've never played hockey....or, for that matter, been a part of any athletic teams:  but I love watching hockey.

Anyway, my image of a hockey coach is a Pat Burns, Ken Hitchcock, Mike Keenan, Joel Quenneville type of coach:   a seasoned "won it all", strict, no fuss, follow me, type of leader.

Who were those guys before they won it all?  Unless I am mistaken, none of those three guys ever played in the NHL.  You could add Jon Cooper to that list too.

1 hour ago, LTC123 said:

I see a lot of younger coaches now in the NHL:  most who never won a cup....or anything?   ....what advice would they have for Kane and Towes?     How has NHL coaching changed?  Why would Towes and Kane listen to their coach?  Why would Pettersson and Hughes listen to Green if he has never won a cup before?   What is the current role of NHL coaches?    How do you motivate a 24 year old making $8M a year?

In 1999, Brett Hull played for Hitchcock.  In 2003, Scott Stevens and Scott Niedermayer played for Burns.  In 1994, Messier played for Keenan.  None of those coaches had won the Cup before.  Before you can be a Stanley Cup winning coach, you have to spend time having not won the Cup. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, LTC123 said:

so, it's a matter of respect from players towards coach?    Doesn't matter who's behind the bench?  Respect comes 1st?

46 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Who were those guys before they won it all?  Unless I am mistaken, none of those three guys ever played in the NHL.  You could add Jon Cooper to that list too.

In 1999, Brett Hull played for Hitchcock.  In 2003, Scott Stevens and Scott Niedermayer played for Burns.  In 1994, Messier played for Keenan.  None of those coaches had won the Cup before.  Before you can be a Stanley Cup winning coach, you have to spend time having not won the Cup. 

I believe @goalie13 has it. When this guy:

william-bowman-1996-34.jpg

... was the coach of a team which had won the Cup for 4 years in a row (5 times in 8 years), players/hockey people tended to listen to him. Prior to winning those 4 Cups in a row, he was the coach of the expansion Blues, who were Cup finalists for 3 consecutive years under his leadership. A winner has the ear (and the respect) of most players.

As with Bowman, Fred Shero had to establish himself as someone who had something to say, and a system which, if the team bought into it, then they might win it all. He had 13 seasons coaching in the Flyers' farm system before getting the head coach job in the NHL. As a 10 year NHL head coach, a Shero coached team only twice failed to make the playoffs, made the finals 4 times and won the Cup twice. 

Once you've got their attention, the rest is easier.

regards,  G.

A long time ago a farmer wanted to buy a mule from his neighbor.  He asked the neighbor if the mule had any problems.

"Not a problem," the neighbor said.  "This mule will do anything you ask.  All you have to do is ask him nicely."  The neighbor added, "Just make sure you never mistreat my mule."

The price for the mule was fair, so the farmer bought the mule.  The very next day the farmer wanted to plow his field.  He hitched the mule to the plow.  The mule had no intention of pulling that plow!

The farmer said, "Git up!"  But the mule paid no attention.  The farmer tried talking nicely until his face almost turned blue.  It did no good.  So, he called his neighbor over.

The neighbor came right away.  When he heard the problem, he walked over and picked up a two-by-four.  He hit the mule right in the head.  Then he whispered in the mule's ear.  That mule started plowing back and forth the field, turning the soil over without anyone standing behind the plow.

"I thought you said never to mistreat your mule," stated the farmer.  "You said all that I had to do was to talk nicely to him."

"Well," answered the neighbor.  "You just have to get his attention first before talking to him."

1 hour ago, Gollumpus said:

I believe @goalie13 has it. When this guy:

william-bowman-1996-34.jpg

... was the coach of a team which had won the Cup for 4 years in a row (5 times in 8 years), players/hockey people tended to listen to him. Prior to winning those 4 Cups in a row, he was the coach of the expansion Blues, who were Cup finalists for 3 consecutive years under his leadership. A winner has the ear (and the respect) of most players.

As with Bowman, Fred Shero had to establish himself as someone who had something to say, and a system which, if the team bought into it, then they might win it all. He had 13 seasons coaching in the Flyers' farm system before getting the head coach job in the NHL. As a 10 year NHL head coach, a Shero coached team only twice failed to make the playoffs, made the finals 4 times and won the Cup twice. 

Once you've got their attention, the rest is easier.

regards,  G.

A long time ago a farmer wanted to buy a mule from his neighbor.  He asked the neighbor if the mule had any problems.

"Not a problem," the neighbor said.  "This mule will do anything you ask.  All you have to do is ask him nicely."  The neighbor added, "Just make sure you never mistreat my mule."

The price for the mule was fair, so the farmer bought the mule.  The very next day the farmer wanted to plow his field.  He hitched the mule to the plow.  The mule had no intention of pulling that plow!

The farmer said, "Git up!"  But the mule paid no attention.  The farmer tried talking nicely until his face almost turned blue.  It did no good.  So, he called his neighbor over.

The neighbor came right away.  When he heard the problem, he walked over and picked up a two-by-four.  He hit the mule right in the head.  Then he whispered in the mule's ear.  That mule started plowing back and forth the field, turning the soil over without anyone standing behind the plow.

"I thought you said never to mistreat your mule," stated the farmer.  "You said all that I had to do was to talk nicely to him."

"Well," answered the neighbor.  "You just have to get his attention first before talking to him."

Interesting enough, the Penguins won the Cup despite trying to get Bowman fired.  Mario really didn't get along with him apparently.

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Interesting enough, the Penguins won the Cup despite trying to get Bowman fired.  Mario really didn't get along with him apparently.

Yup. I've also read that Bowman was already looking at moving on from Pittsburgh when he walked in the door. Not a bad record for stop-over on the way to another job.

regards,  G.

Not ever great coach wins a cup and not ever cup winning coach is great.

with the size of the league it’s just basic maths. 

That said and going slightly off topic I think now that there are 32 teams it’s time to introduce at least a knockout cup that runs during the season and bring in some other silverware for teams to challenge for, to help keep fans entertained