The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Minnesota Wild at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 26, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

15 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Are you joking?   
Green hasn’t accomplished a fraction of what Cooper has done.   
Cooper has a long leash based on proving he is a winner.  
Green is coming off one of the most embarrassing seasons ever, nothing but losing seasons, and even with almost half a new roster, is losing in the exact same ways as last year.  
They aren’t even close to comparable.  
YOU are the silly sounding one. 

Now you are comparing the Canucks roster to the Stanley Cup champs - you really don't get it do you?

Hello hypocrisy!  

2 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Now you are comparing the Canucks roster to the Stanley Cup champs - you really don't get it do you?

Hello hypocrisy!  

in your ongoing hunt for hypocrisy, did you come across the reason Boeser isn't on the 1st unit PP?

• Haha 3

1st PP - Horvat, Garland, Boeser, EP, OEL

2nd PP - Hoglander, Podkolzin, Miller, Hughes, Rathbone

In situations where a PP goal is critical:

Horvat, Garland, Boeser, Hughes, OEL for most of the PP.

OEL simply gives the PP more options and more unpredictability than Hughes. He is both a passing and shooting threat and will give other teams less opportunity to cheat on the Miller to Hughes to EP every time setup.

Edited by wallstreetamigo

NHL coaches tend to have a shelf life, even the good ones.  If the players stop buying into the system, you're going to get hockey like we had last night, uninterested, low energy, error after error hockey.  It doesn't mean that the coach won't get hired somewhere else and have success, but it's just not working for the current group of players.  That's where we appear to be with Green right now.  Let the team prove me wrong.

I like Green as a coach, always have, but we're out of our rebuild stage where the primary focus was player development.  Playoffs is the expectation, and his win/loss record is the measuring stick.  No owner/manager is going to sit around and let this continue if he can't figure out how to get his guys to play for him.

14 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Ummmnnnn - you are doing the comparing - I'm just clarifying the hypocrisy around here by some.

The hypocrisy of what?

Tampa isn’t panicking and calling to fire Cooper because he has a long track record of success and more importantly he has shown he can get the most out of his players and roster.

Green has won nothing nor has he shown he can do anything other than lose and look ineffective as a coach while doing it. 

Give this roster to Cooper they probably win the division and go deep in the playoffs. 

4 minutes ago, Dekey Pete said:

NHL coaches tend to have a shelf life, even the good ones.  If the players stop buying into the system, you're going to get hockey like we had last night, uninterested, low energy, error after error hockey.  It doesn't mean that the coach won't get hired somewhere else and have success, but it's just not working for the current group of players.  That's where we appear to be with Green right now.  Let the team prove me wrong.

I like Green as a coach, always have, but we're out of our rebuild stage where the primary focus was player development.  Playoffs is the expectation, and his win/loss record is the measuring stick.  No owner/manager is going to sit around and let this continue if he can't figure out how to get his guys to play for him.

This

The Canucks need a proven winner and more importantly a proven leader who can implement the identity he wants.

Essentially a guy who can walk the talk rather than just talk about how they need to be hard to play against, etc.

Green is all talk with no actual skill in making it happen.

2 minutes ago, Dekey Pete said:

Very level headed take. I like Green too. I am not sure how a new coach is going to change the fact that Pettersson is slow and weak on the ice though. Then again, it was Green's job to ensure that Pettersson put the work in during summer. 

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The hypocrisy of what?

Tampa isn’t panicking and calling to fire Cooper because he has a long track record of success and more importantly he has shown he can get the most out of his players and roster.

Green has won nothing nor has he shown he can do anything other than lose and look ineffective as a coach while doing it. 

Give this roster to Cooper they probably win the division and go deep in the playoffs. 

Don't be so sure. Maybe Cooper will get fired this season after all :bigblush:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Dekey Pete said:

disagree. Aquillini is just doing this, sitting around and watching.

8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

The Flames were pretty bad over the last several years (2018/19 excl.), but they're sure looking good right now. Interesting coincidence that they just re-hired Darryl Sutter this year.  Y'know, a guy who knows how to win. 

Flames looked pretty bad with Darryl Sutter last season.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

Very level headed take. I like Green too. I am not sure how a new coach is going to change the fact that Pettersson is slow and weak on the ice though. Then again, it was Green's job to ensure that Pettersson put the work in during summer. 

Pettersson is playing like a guy who missed most of last season and the entire training camp, so I'm not all that surprised.  But the entire team just doesn't seem to play with any fire.  You see glimpses of it, like when Horvat turned it on late in the third period.  In that 2 minute stretch I saw the Canucks finishing checks, making plays, and just overall good hockey.  But if you can only get that for 2 minutes out of a 60 minute game, something is seriously wrong!

2 minutes ago, Dekey Pete said:

Pettersson is playing like a guy who missed most of last season and the entire training camp, so I'm not all that surprised.  But the entire team just doesn't seem to play with any fire.  You see glimpses of it, like when Horvat turned it on late in the third period.  In that 2 minute stretch I saw the Canucks finishing checks, making plays, and just overall good hockey.  But if you can only get that for 2 minutes out of a 60 minute game, something is seriously wrong!

Missing games explains the lack of hands and timing. They will come back in time. The problem with Pettersson is his lack of speed and size. Both of which should have improved in the summer. None of which did. No physical improvement since his rookie season. i follow the Oilers. I told my Oilers friends that while Pettersson is not generational his drive to improve is. Boy was I wrong. 

1 minute ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Flames looked pretty bad with Darryl Sutter last season.

They hired him in March. He didn't have much of a 2020/21 season with them. What he did do though is have his players ready for the season. They've all bought into something there. I don't think Green is enough of an authority and I wonder how much respect he actually gets from the veterans on the team. They need a coach who is demanding and gets the most out of his players.  Green's hippy-dippy attitude of losing happens because of the ebbs and flows, blah blah.  Losing is not okay.