The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Philadelphia Flyers at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 28, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, 13231 said:

I'm noticing the following in terms of synergy between the coaching & play of our players, or lack thereof:

Our forward group is a highly skilled one that is being programmed to play safe, grinder style hockey. Watch any other successful team in the league, and you see forward groups being creative with their zone entries, shot selections, and passing. Our team is so predictable with the idiotic dump and chase, and this "system" seems to be exasperating to players like Petey and Miller who thrive on offensive instinct and creative drive. 

As many have pointed out in this PGT, our defense has been better overall than what we expected, given the lineup. I think that correlates directly with the presence of Shaw, who is instilling some defensive value into this team and undoing years of damage Baumer has brought on. We can be even better defensively if he is given complete control on how to run that department. 

I'm not even going to get into Green's decision to bench Garland today, our leading and clutch scorer, to send some sort of message. One of several bush league decisions made by Green over the years. I've stated since last year, we have a solid group of players on the come up, but will not get anywhere with this standard of coaching. I hope Benning can bring in someone like Boudreau to run the bench, get the most out of our offense, and Shaw & Clarke have their grip on the defense & goaltending respectively. I can see that being a very successful coaching staff and ultimately, team. 

Well said

On paper, there is something to look forward to in regards to the roster; but the on ice product is: STALE, PREDICTABLE AND BORING. 

It seems the only way the team ever gets a win is if a goalie steals it cause outside of the goalie - it is a long shot.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

i mean even miller said in an interview we are not a dump and chase line yet they are still playing dump and chase as a team lol.. like ur players are telling you change it up

More like a pump and dump style - the opponent d & goalie are already expecting it and ready to counter.  LAME

Edited by ShawnAntoski

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

He’s trying to push the team forward. Something is seriously off with this team. 

Yeah, the players realize the system they play in has been figured out by every other coaching group and that it is stale and ineffective. 

It’s not all on the team why they are failing. It’s also because we are easy and predictable to defend against having a limited trick pony behind the bench

• Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Iain Patterzma: Hi Travis. What is it about your coaching style that makes opposing backup goalies look like Vezina candidates?

Travis:

Miami Vice 80S GIF

Didn’t somebody say in the GDT that back up goalies are our kryptonite? 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

More like a pump and dump style - the opponent d & goalie are already expecting it and ready to counter.  LAME

ya pretty much lol the dump and chase when we were out shot 16-4 literally dump the puck to the other team and they walk out with the puck lol as soon as we have the puck we go up to their blueline again dump it to the corner to give it to them and back on defense we go

12 minutes ago, 13231 said:

I'm noticing the following in terms of synergy between the coaching & play of our players, or lack thereof:

Our forward group is a highly skilled one that is being programmed to play safe, grinder style hockey. Watch any other successful team in the league, and you see forward groups being creative with their zone entries, shot selections, and passing. Our team is so predictable with the idiotic dump and chase, and this "system" seems to be exasperating to players like Petey and Miller who thrive on offensive instinct and creative drive. 

As many have pointed out in this PGT, our defense has been better overall than what we expected, given the lineup. I think that correlates directly with the presence of Shaw, who is instilling some defensive value into this team and undoing years of damage Baumer has brought on. We can be even better defensively if he is given complete control on how to run that department. 

I'm not even going to get into Green's decision to bench Garland today, our leading and clutch scorer, to send some sort of message. One of several bush league decisions made by Green over the years. I've stated since last year, we have a solid group of players on the come up, but will not get anywhere with this standard of coaching. I hope Benning can bring in someone like Boudreau to run the bench, get the most out of our offense, and Shaw & Clarke have their grip on the defense & goaltending respectively. I can see that being a very successful coaching staff and ultimately, team. 

I totally agree with you that the current top six group is a highly skilled one which could be coached successfully.

I think they could be competitive with any team in the league in terms of goal scoring.

The bottom six is meh... with the exception of Podkolzin

The defense is still lacking enough players who can take charge in their own zone... OEL is the best at the moment, Myers is decent, and Burroughs is trying hard.  But Schenn is way over his head, Hunt is invisible and Hughes while trying hard, is too small to control the zone... he needs a big partner who can take care of that and leave Hughes to contribute by carrying the puck and proving scoring.

Our goaltending is excellent in my opinion... Demko is a future star and Halak is a decent backup.

All in all, this is a team which could do better... with the addition of a few key pieces on defense... a big strong young stay at home D man who could complement Hughes.  that should be Benning's #1 priority.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

ya pretty much lol the dump and chase when we were out shot 16-4 literally dump the puck to the other team and they walk out with the puck lol as soon as we have the puck we go up to their blueline again dump it to the corner to give it to them and back on defense we go

Yup - pump & dump

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Coach has no more answers.

Until they hire a new coach expect the same brand of hockey.

Agree completely.

Canucks got into the bubble playoffs on a play in. They were not a good team going into that  but came together and had a couple good series.  Saved Green's job.

But outside of that this coach is awful.

Listen I don't like Calgary but they have created a culture under Sutter that they have bought into.

What have the Canucks bought into? I will tell you. Apologizing. Saying that's on me/us. I/we have got to be better.

That is what this coach brings...apologies and softness.

He is not a good NHL coach.  We are not progressing under him.  He has had years coaching this team and had a lousy record.

Way past time to get rid of Green and bring in someone who the players can get behind.  Not someone they simply feel comfortable that they can hide behind - who will go out and apologize for them.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Yeah, the players realize the system they play in has been figured out by every other coaching group and that it is stale and ineffective. 

It’s not all on the team why they are failing. It’s also because we are easy and predictable to defend against having a limited trick pony behind the bench

I think that’s becoming somewhat clearer.