The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

blame management, blame coach, but also blame this lazy, entitled, soulless core, starting from Horvat/Pettersson/Boeser

Rate this topic

Odd.

Just now, EddieVedder said:

Go back to playing fantasy hockey.  

Unlike you I go to actual Canucks games frequently and see the team play, so maybe you should stick to fantasy bud. Anyone with eyes who has played Hockey at a higher level than midget house can see Hughes is special.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Im okay with keeping qh.  I just dont want him paid like a #1 dman because he isnt one.  With his inability to be physical and defend, hes barely a #2 or 3 on a contending club.  This organization needs to find those strong 2 way dmen that can be put out there in any situation. We have OEL which is great, but Until we find 2 or 3 more we are just going to be pretenders. 

#1 D's are paid 8/9/10 million... Hughes is not being paid like #1.

Everyone knows he is not the complete package... he needs a complementary D-partner who can provide the physicality, calm, and stay at home skills and qualities needed to balance Hughes.

So far we haven't seen that partner.... maybe its Green's bad coaching, maybe the player isn't a member of the Canucks yet.

Poolman theoretically would be a match... he's big and physical, but he hasn't shown the skill level and calmness needed to match Hughes risk taking so far.

Tanev was a good match with his skills, positioning and calm, but didn't have all the physical presence.... he was the best we've seen as a match for Hughes so far but in any case he's gone.

You are correct we need more quality D.  That should have been Bennings #1 priority... he did try to address the lacking with some moves, but so far under Green's tutelage, neither OEL or Poolman is doing the job.  The other D on the team are rookies who are just trying to stay in the league or has beens who are barely hanging on.

I think the first thing we need is a new coach and a new defensive system which is more aggressive and doesn't fall back on 'collapse to the net' everytime the opponent gets the puck in the zone.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Ajax- said:

So this is ALL on the coaching and players that struggle to execute don't share in the responsibility?.

So you mean all the players are not executing all at the same time? Please look at how Calgary is playing with same roster as last year but different coach

So, this is probably not going to be popular but I think it needs to be said. The teams problem? From the Owner all the way down to us Fans, we have extreme "Homerism". Plain and simple.

No one wants our beloved players, coaches to go, and everyone thinks that we are just around the corner from "Greatness". 

Over the years I have slowly became detached from the team and I try to look at them from afar, some what.

From the time we were a team that was poor and couldn't afford big name players like the 94' Oilers/NYR's, we slowly became a team that played the more skilled gentlemanly play and farther away from the "Plummers". "Put in the work every night" mostly because the team lacked the high skills of more expensive players, before the Cap system.

A big turning point in my mind? Podz taking that brutal hit last night. The actions after that hit pretty much summarizes what this team "is" and has "been" all these years. 

Our Captain?, skates by and does absolutely nothing to look after his young rookie. There is no one else to do this now so a guy who has never fought before, must come to his rescue to cover for the Captain. Then, for the rest of the night , the Vegas player goes unabated just as every other player who has taken liberties with our players over the decades. The Myers hit on Duncan Keith was an anomaly as was Bertuzzi on Moore.

The funny thing is? Hank would have did the same thing , as would Naslund. Linden? Probably would have skated towards The Vegas player without hesitation. As would have Smyl or any other Captain before them.

So over Bennings tenure, we see the Sedins utilized way past their usefulness. I always said if they were going to stay on the team they should never have been kept our "Top Line" right until they retired. No veteran player I remember ever was utilized like that. They could have mentored young players from a more supportive role as opposed to being responsible to carry the team offensively still.

The same thing goes on today with Petterson. He is playing awful and still his ice time almost doubles players such as Hoglander. How does that even make any sense? The Sedins did the same thing when their foot speed became too slow and they were coughing up the puck left and right. They still remained the top minute munchers.

I would also argue, that our Star Players who do not have any toughness in their game should not be the Captain. I know there have been some who have succeeded I am just saying as a general rule. 

Bo is a bit different, as he could probably play a more aggressive role, the problem is that he was mentored by Hank. He plays like him and his interviews are pretty much the same what Hank would say and even, what Nazzy would say.

So we ask what the team identity is? Bo's team, trying to be like the Sedins team, which was trying to be like Nazzy's team. No wonder we don't know what our identity is.

With how players start out here and either move on or conform, is a strong indication that no one wants to change this culture anytime soon.

The Playoffs are another indication of the differences in team make up. Linden played a Stanley Cup final with broken ribs, and what ever else, and still managed to score 2 goals, a Warrior.

In 2011, we didn't even put up a fight in the game seven and we had no heroes or warriors. The game was over before it even started, and so what do we do as fans? We make excuses and say it was due to injuries or some other excuse like it was the refs. Sound familiar? 

Like Demko didn't push the goal off its moorings last night and some ghost must have did it. We still lost by 3 goals anyway.

So I look back at when Linden was let go and I ask myself, what is the real reason why he decided to step down? I mean , he did leave and the Sedins stayed. Maybe he realized that the culture needed to change too but ownership did not want to let go of the Sedins and what they stood for. 

With this said, I do not profess to be a know-it-all or some hockey guru, I am just a fan who wants to see my team win the Stanley Cup someday. In 94' we came pretty darn close and I really haven't seen us come close since. I know 2011, we made it to game seven, but we had all the skill in the world that year but we neglected to collect the rest of the attributes. We ended up like what we have seen the last couple of games. A team that is "Excuses away from Winning". 

So, with all of that said, I think what needs to be done? Greens gone , that's a no brainer, the guy has been playing favorites which probably plays into the divide amongst the team. He refuses to change or adapt, which actually looks like he has played all of his cards in his deck. He looks frustrated and done. 

Get a GM and President, Lindens ideas were turned down and that was our mistake which we are seeing now years later. 

The Owner needs to keep out of all hockey operations, Fans belong in the stands with the rest of us, leave it to the professionals. 

Edit- I forgot to add that Bo needs to step down unless he is willing to make this team "His" by taking charge and being fully responsible in its success or failure. Don't "say" you need to do better, DO BETTER! 

Edited by EdgarM

4 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

So, this is probably not going to be popular but I think it needs to be said. The teams problem? From the Owner all the way down to us Fans, we have extreme "Homerism". Plain and simple.

No one wants our beloved players, coaches to go, and everyone thinks that we are just around the corner from "Greatness". 

Over the years I have slowly became detached from the team and I try to look at them from afar, some what.

From the time we were a team that was poor and couldn't afford big name players like the 94' Oilers/NYR's, we slowly became a team that played the more skilled gentlemanly play and farther away from the "Plummers". "Put in the work every night" mostly because the team lacked the high skills of more expensive players, before the Cap system.

A big turning point in my mind? Podz taking that brutal hit last night. The actions after that hit pretty much summarizes what this team "is" and has "been" all these years. 

Our Captain?, skates by and does absolutely nothing to look after his young rookie. There is no one else to do this now so a guy who has never fought before, must come to his rescue to cover for the Captain. Then, for the rest of the night , the Vegas player goes unabated just as every other player who has taken liberties with our players over the decades. The Myers hit on Duncan Keith was an anomaly as was Bertuzzi on Moore.

The funny thing is? Hank would have did the same thing , as would Naslund. Linden? Probably would have skated towards The Vegas player without hesitation. As would have Smyl or any other Captain before them.

So over Bennings tenure, we see the Sedins utilized way past their usefulness. I always said if they were going to stay on the team they should never have been kept our "Top Line" right until they retired. No veteran player I remember ever was utilized like that. They could have mentored young players from a more supportive role as opposed to being responsible to carry the team offensively still.

The same thing goes on today with Petterson. He is playing awful and still his ice time almost doubles players such as Hoglander. How does that even make any sense? The Sedins did the same thing when their foot speed became too slow and they were coughing up the puck left and right. They still remained the top minute munchers.

I would also argue, that our Star Players who do not have any toughness in their game should not be the Captain. I know there have been some who have succeeded I am just saying as a general rule. 

Bo is a bit different, as he could probably play a more aggressive role, the problem is that he was mentored by Hank. He plays like him and his interviews are pretty much the same what Hank would say and even, what Nazzy would say.

So we ask what the team identity is? Bo's team, trying to be like the Sedins team, which was trying to be like Nazzy's team. No wonder we don't know what our identity is.

With how players start out here and either move on or conform, is a strong indication that no one wants to change this culture anytime soon.

The Playoffs are another indication of the differences in team make up. Linden played a Stanley Cup final with broken ribs, and what ever else, and still managed to score 2 goals, a Warrior.

In 2011, we didn't even put up a fight in the game seven and we had no heroes or warriors. The game was over before it even started, and so what do we do as fans? We make excuses and say it was due to injuries or some other excuse like it was the refs. Sound familiar? 

Like Demko didn't push the goal off its moorings last night and some ghost must have did it. We still lost by 3 goals anyway.

So I look back at when Linden was let go and I ask myself, what is the real reason why he decided to step down? I mean , he did leave and the Sedins stayed. Maybe he realized that the culture needed to change too but ownership did not want to let go of the Sedins and what they stood for. 

With this said, I do not profess to be a know-it-all or some hockey guru, I am just a fan who wants to see my team win the Stanley Cup someday. In 94' we came pretty darn close and I really haven't seen us come close since. I know 2011, we made it to game seven, but we had all the skill in the world that year but we neglected to collect the rest of the attributes. We ended up like what we have seen the last couple of games. A team that is "Excuses away from Winning". 

So, with all of that said, I think what needs to be done? Greens gone , that's a no brainer, the guy has been playing favorites which probably plays into the divide amongst the team. He refuses to change or adapt, which actually looks like he has played all of his cards in his deck. He looks frustrated and done. 

Get a GM and President, Lindens ideas were turned down and that was our mistake which we are seeing now years later. 

The Owner needs to keep out of all hockey operations, Fans belong in the stands with the rest of us, leave it to the professionals. 

Yes. There is a reason why there hasn’t been any success with the owners being so involved. I think they have also made it hard for great gms to want to come here knowing that they have to run everything by ownership. They have tied their own hands by all the meddling they do. I almost want new ownership at this point.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

2 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Yes. There is a reason why there hasn’t been any success with the owners being so involved. I think they have also made it hard for great gms to want to come here knowing that they have to run everything by ownership. They have tied their own hands by all the meddling they do. I almost want new ownership at this point.

I agree, if they are unwilling to separate themselves, we will see much of the same in which eventually they will go back to trying to give their tickets away at Shoppers Drug Mart. :ph34r:

9 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I agree with a lot of what you said.  I think one thing that needs to be addressed is that the nucks media dept does a damn good job of hyping up some of these players.  They need fans to buy in and believe we have something special.  And frankly, the fans eat it up because they dont know any better.  As long as these fans support a subpar product,  no real changes will be made. I like half of our core guys  but the other half dont deserve to be core guys and we need to do better.  

54 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

I agree with a lot of what you said.  I think one thing that needs to be addressed is that the nucks media dept does a damn good job of hyping up some of these players.  They need fans to buy in and believe we have something special.  And frankly, the fans eat it up because they dont know any better.  As long as these fans support a subpar product,  no real changes will be made. I like half of our core guys  but the other half dont deserve to be core guys and we need to do better.  

Yes we jump on the idea we have very talented players but what do they "Lack" is the big question. Petey for example , he came in light and was knocked off the puck easily, in his 4th season, has anything changed? Boes as well. His passing lacks as does his board work. Has he improved? My concern with him is that he had a shot in which no goalie could stop when he first started. Where did that shot go? 

These players have great true raw talent but they have not grown much since coming here. That is a huge concern. 

Hogs and Podz are newer to the scene, but how long will it take before they are in the same boat? 

I don't know how some fans can't see it. Its like there our players so they can't have any faults at all.

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

Our Captain?, skates by and does absolutely nothing to look after his young rookie. There is no one else to do this now so a guy who has never fought before, must come to his rescue to cover for the Captain. Then, for the rest of the night , the Vegas player goes unabated just as every other player who has taken liberties with our players over the decades.

Although I disagree with your view of the 2011 team as you're ignoring guys like Aaron Rome, Max Lapierre, Raffi Torres, Kevin Bieksa, and Alex Burrows being on the team....   

I was pretty disappointed with Bo skating away from that situation and nobody else doing anything in the game last night.  Part of it is the fact that our PK is so bad though, but still wasn't good to see.  

Also watched Bailey giggling with an Avalanche defender after a whistle in a 6-0 game.  Don't like it at all. 

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Although I disagree with your view of the 2011 team as you're ignoring guys like Aaron Rome, Max Lapierre, Raffi Torres, Kevin Bieksa, and Alex Burrows being on the team....   

I was pretty disappointed with Bo skating away from that situation and nobody else doing anything in the game last night.  Part of it is the fact that our PK is so bad though, but still wasn't good to see.  

Also watched Bailey giggling with an Avalanche defender after a whistle in a 6-0 game.  Don't like it at all. 

Hanks brother was getting humiliated and he did nothing. The rest of the team did not touch Marchand either. There were no heroes in that series, sadly, Boston did pretty good though and there players upped their game when needed. 

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Ya man i pointed out that with Bailey.  It was fukn embarassing.  Your down 6-0 and your joking around with the team that is handing your asses to you?   How do we let go of Mack and Gadj and keep this useless player bailey?  All he does is skate fast and giggle.