The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Does JT Miller get you Braden Schneider?

4 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If we still aren't good we risk losing Miller in 2023 as a free agent, same with Horvat. Both are important players in their primes that want to win.

Having them both walk for nothing would be pretty catastrophic. 

We are another season away from this being a major concern but we have to be aware. If this group isn't capable of turning ship around by this year's deadline we have to ask ourselves whether or not we can have success with this group at all.

Agreed, it's likely he's got more value now than he'd have at next season's deadline too. 

We absolutely can't afford to lose him and Horvat for nothing. And Horvat's the one of the two I'd be trying to retain. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

[proposal] Does JT Miller get you Braden Schneider?

Assuming of course that the Canucks fall to the wayside here in their playoff hopes while the Rangers continue to stay in contention.

Braden Schneider is at the top of my wishlist when looking at trades so any deal bringing him here would be desirable.

Miller started his career as a Ranger but was traded.

However, I think it's safe to say he's a much more polished player now.

The Rangers are rumored to be looking for a middle-six forward. At just over 5 mil. for another full season after this one, Miller would have great value to them.

Unfortunately, JB and Co. may still be under the delusion that there's still a chance to save this season.

17 hours ago, mll said:

The Rangers traded Miller because there were concerns about his coachability at the time.  He leads the team in points.  Benning is under pressure to make the playoffs.  Media talks of an issue in the room.  Not sure what you expect NYR to conclude if Benning is looking to trade him when the aim is to make the playoffs.

I don't think anyone sane thinks the aim this year is to make the playoffs anymore, anyone can see the standings including other GMs.   Trading Miller would simply be a tacit acknowledgment that our GM lives in objective reality.

This is really just trying to put some unrelated pieces of information together to invent a narrative.  The aim of every team at the beginning of the season is to make the playoffs.  Half of them don't... things change, that is why there is a trade deadline with pieces moving every single year.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Miller should be able to return a blue chip like Schneider AND a 1st round pick honestly.

It isn't just that he is one of the top point producers in the league, he is signed for another year at a really low cap hit compared to his production.  Any team heading to the post season would be happy to add him to their roster.

The Rangers may not want to revisit Miller since they traded him away a while ago, and the fans don't have great memories of him.  Horvat could also be a fit there.

Edited by Provost
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Miller should be able to return a blue chip like Schneider AND a 1st round pick honestly.

It isn't just that he is one of the top point producers in the league, he is signed for another year at a really low cap hit compared to his production.  Any team heading to the post season would be happy to add him to their roster.

That would be fantastic if Miller could do that, but Schneider himself has some massive value being a young “defensive minded” RD. Schneider is probably the most coveted young defensive RD out there outside of Seider (untouchable), Dobson (untouchable), and Cernak (untouchable). 

Schneider++ for Miller would be tremendous obviously but I would also consider Miller for Schneider one for one a pretty big win for our organization as well.  

20 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

That would be fantastic if Miller could do that, but Schneider himself has some massive value being a young “defensive minded” RD. Schneider is probably the most coveted young defensive RD out there outside of Seider (untouchable), Dobson (untouchable), and Cernak (untouchable). 

Schneider++ for Miller would be tremendous obviously but I would also consider Miller for Schneider one for one a pretty big win for our organization as well.  

Schneider is still very much a question mark while Miller is near a point per game center for us. If it was one for one that would be a loss in the trade department. I do like Schneider but with where Miller’s game is right now it should cost more than Schneider to pry away Miller.

A trade I’ve been thinking of for Miller is with Carolina where we get Seth Jarvis (young Center prospect on their NHL team), Scott Morrow (recent 2nd round pick RHD playing in college) and a 2nd round pick that up would turn into a 1rst if they make it to the finals.

• Upvote 2

The Canucks have to decide whether they want to ride it out and possibly end up a high draft pick team, or make the necessary adjustments for a p/o push.  If they are riding it out, the best scenario is to trade closer to deadline (when the demand is greater) and acquire as many young prospects/picks as possible.  If they decide to attempt a p/o run, then trade a player(s) that will return player(s) that will improve the team, but do it almost immediately.

The Rangers are sitting at 7th in the league/3rd in their division.  There is little urgency for them to make a trade right now, but as we get closer to TDL;  GMs want to build a team that will go far in the p/os.  Their weakest position on their team is RW. This would suggest Boeser, but he is underperforming right now, so is not a good player to trade at the moment.  If he gets his game together early in the new year, he would be a very good trade for the Rangers.

Miller is a great trade option, but again, finding a more urgent team that will give up a lucrative trade for him is optimal. He would likely get a better trade return as we head towards the deadline, but finding a trade partner that is struggling to reach the playoffs would certainly improve the return.  Miller is the kind of player that will bring enough to boost a team over the top and become a beast in the p/os.  Having another year on his contract makes him very valuable.

Of course, the 3rd option is to maintain the core and make a coaching adjustment(s).

Whatever route they take, there are always risks involved.  Even doing nothing runs the risks of dragging the core through another season of soul sucking endless losses and fan/media berating

1 hour ago, Provost said:

The Rangers may not want to revisit Miller since they traded him away a while ago, and the fans don't have great memories of him.  Horvat could also be a fit there.

I figure if Coleman with an additional year of term left got a first plus a good prospect, we should be able to do something similar with Miller. 

1 minute ago, Sean Monahan said:

I figure if Coleman with an additional year of term left got a first plus a good prospect, we should be able to do something similar with Miller. 

Miller scoring at a 0.6 - 0.7 PPG average was worth a mid to high 1st round pick from us when we traded for him.

Miller scoring at a 1.0 PPG pace for the last three years should certainly be worth quite a bit more than that.  40-60 point per season guys are pretty common.  80-90 points guys are not, especially physical and versatile ones that can play different forward positions. 

He is tied for 10th in league scoring and is only 3 points from being 4th in league scoring.  He has just the 174th highest cap hit in the league. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Provost said:

Miller scoring at a 0.6 - 0.7 PPG average was worth a mid to high 1st round pick from us when we traded for him.

Miller scoring at a 1.0 PPG pace for the last three years should certainly be worth quite a bit more than that.  40-60 point per season guys are pretty common.  80-90 points guys are not, especially physical and versatile ones that can play different forward positions. 

He is tied for 10th in league scoring and is only 3 points from being 4th in league scoring.  He has just the 174th highest cap hit in the league. 

That’s why I figured the Coleman price should be a bare minimum. Who knows, it’s been two years since that trade I think so maybe the market has changed, but Miller should be the kind of trade chip that can really accelerate a rebuild or retool. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

Yes for our future.

Again, this trade suggestion is for the trade deadline and only under the assumption that we are out of contention while the Rags are likely playoff bound.

Absolutely, there's no guarantee he resigns

Some Miller rumors....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nationalpost.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canuck-j-t-millers-time-might-be-on-the-line-amid-wild-interest/wcm/c80e3839-b14a-46c1-ae2a-3ecd59d46eed/amp/

Canuck J.T. Miller’s time might be on the line amid Wild interest

The Wild is not going to part with Boldy. The 12th overall selection in 2019 projects as a top-six winger and was taken off injury reserve last week to get his game together in the minors, which helps make Fiala and Greenway expendable.  

Meh...those players don't interest me much.  Maybe Greenway + 1st 2022 + 2nd 2022.