The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

I think the teams in the east are going to create a bidding war. Because whoever acquires Miller will have bolstered their roster real good. If the rumors are true about the Rangers all in on Miller, and are attempting to acquire him, then the rest of the East in terms of playoff teams, need to also look at what they can do to bolster their chances. Tampa Bay is the favorite still, but if you stay pat, you’ll be left behind. Their championships are years past, this is this year, and they too need to do everything they can to keep pace with the rest of the teams out east. 

Who does the Rangers play if the playoffs started today? 

Cause I’d be curious what that team would do, should the Rangers successfully acquire JT. 

I think the Rags make the most sense for the Canucks as Schneider is exactly what they'd be hoping for as the focal point on any deal.......a good, young rhd.

Just now, N4ZZY said:

You don’t think they still would try to acquire Miller, even after acquiring Chychrun? 

I don't think they'd sacrifice that much of their future.  I can't imagine the Coyotes not wanting the same pieces as the Canucks

Still, there's other options if they do, Id love to see Tomasino from the Preds land in Van

13 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Just thinking when you were naming all those prospects. How the &^@# did Benning not get better prospects considering he’s the “super scout”? 

If I’m Rutherford, I’m poaching some of their management people, especially in their scouting department. 

Pettersson, Hughes, Demko, Boeser, Podkolzin, Höglander, Klimovich, McDonough, Rathbone, Silovs.  I would say that's a pretty good draft pedigree.  The Rangers also drafted Kakko and Lafreniere at the top of the draft and both those guys don't seem to be looking like top 3 talents, whereas Pettersson, Demko and Hughes are elite NHL talent.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

You don’t think they still would try to acquire Miller, even after acquiring Chychrun? 

I think they could go for both and also Tyler Motte and Luke Schenn, which would make them the Cup favourites.  Their prospect pool would be depleted though.  And Vancouver would most likely not get a 1st round pick out of the deal, as that is what Arizona would want.  I'd still do a Miller deal to NY Rangers without the 1st round pick as long we we got 3 top prospects in return.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Don't think they trade Kakko or Lafreniere...

I don't think so either, they're the heart of the next core, along with Fox.  I'd have no issues taking Chytll as the add in after Schneider and a first though.  Chytlls got good size, good speed and good skill.  He's still a work in progress as far as a cman goes, but he'll get a better shot in Van than he gets in NY

Edited by stawns

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I don't think so either, they're the heart of the next core, along with Fox.  I'd have no issues taking Chytll as the add in after Schneider and a first though.  Chytlls got good size, good speed and good skill.  He's still a work in progress as far as a cman goes, but he'll get a better shot in Van than he gets in NY

Chytil is good.  Barron is a good prospect as well.  I do like Kravtsov because of the high end potential and he could play with Podkolin and Klimovich.  Maybe we could turn Podkolzin into a centre and Kravtsov and Klimovich as the wingers.  Kravtsov also has bust potential and may stay in Russia, so Chytil would be the safer pick.

Still think it’s Colorado that becomes the most desperate for Miller and we retain 50% for a massive haul. They have two more season with Mackinnon before he gets a huge raise. Also Kadri in for a big raise after this season. This is their best chance this year for sure. Their management knows it and with Byram out of their he could be an ask or even Newhook. It would suck to lose one of those high profile prospects but it’s JT Miller for 2.6 million a year! That’s my dream get in a JT Miller trade.

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Chytil is good.  Barron is a good prospect as well.  I do like Kravtsov because of the high end potential and he could play with Podkolin and Klimovich.  Maybe we could turn Podkolzin into a centre and Kravtsov and Klimovich as the wingers.  Kravtsov also has bust potential and may stay in Russia, so Chytil would be the safer pick.

I think they need to come out of a miller trade with the two things they're lacking.....a young rhd and another rfa cman

Edited by stawns

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Don't think they trade Kakko or Lafreniere...

Yeah I am not sure they trade them at this point. 

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think they could go for both and also Tyler Motte and Luke Schenn, which would make them the Cup favourites.  Their prospect pool would be depleted though.  And Vancouver would most likely not get a 1st round pick out of the deal, as that is what Arizona would want.  I'd still do a Miller deal to NY Rangers without the 1st round pick as long we we got 3 top prospects in return.

Yeah if the Rags go after both Miller/Chychrun then their prospect pool will definitely take a big hit. Chychrun likely they re-up and make a part of their core though. Miller probably not since they have to re-sign the younger core.

I can see Schenn and Motte interesting them as well. They were interested in Lehkonen from MTL so Motte would make sense. If they're giving up their top RD prospects they'd probably want Schenn back for some security short-term. 

Overall any team wanting Miller will have to pay up. He plays like a 9M dollar player and makes almost half that for 2 runs. Playing better than Duchene did when the Avs traded him and that return netted them Girard/the pick that ended up as Byram and they still have some prospects from that deal.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Realistic package back:

Calen addisson+ jack mcbain+ 1st for Miller

Realistic package:

Nils lundqvist+ Zac Jones+1st round pick for millet+ Schenn

Realistic package:

Matthew coronato+ Yan kuznetsov+ 1st round pick 

Realisticly JR hangs up the phone 3 times

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think they need to come out of a miller trade with the two things they're lacking.....a young rhd and another rfa cman

Chytil is more of a winger though.  He's not really a 3C.  Barron might be the better prospect as a 3C.  If we could somehow get Michael McLeod out of New Jersey he would be a perfect 3C.

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Chytil is more of a winger though.  He's not really a 3C.  Barron might be the better prospect as a 3C.  If we could somehow get Michael McLeod out of New Jersey he would be a perfect 3C.

If we got an early pick or two as well as prospects on the cusp I'd use picks on Cs since forwards seem to make the jump earlier. Without Miller I could see us falling down to the top 10 with our own pick and this draft is forward heavy in the 1st round. Maybe we get lucky with the lotto but that's never happened.

Overall the prospects I would aim for in a trade are RDs first. We need a succession plan at D, most of our guys are getting old and will need to pass the torch eventually. Our forward(mostly winger) group is mostly already set long-term. Pod/Hog will get better and Klimo/Karlsson/Lockwood are in the system.  We will definitely need to add a solid C prospect sooner or later though.

A Miller trade, if done right, would help us in the same sense it did for the Avs with Duchene. Maybe even moreso. Any decision we make isn't a sure thing though, keeping or trading Miller. Glad I am not the one making these tough decisions. I just hope JR and company are able to make the right ones. We're at perhaps a decade defining crossroads as a franchise with deciding the direction of the team. They have my faith and my concern.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

30 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Chytll was their 3rd line c and the moved him up to 2nd line winger for similar reasons as the canucks did with Petey.  He's a natural C I believe.

12 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If we got an early pick or two as well as prospects on the cusp I'd use picks on Cs since forwards seem to make the jump earlier. Without Miller I could see us falling down to the top 10 with our own pick and this draft is forward heavy in the 1st round. Maybe we get lucky with the lotto but that's never happened.

Overall the prospects I would aim for in a trade are RDs first. We need a succession plan at D, most of our guys are getting old and will need to pass the torch eventually. Our forward(mostly winger) group is mostly already set long-term. Pod/Hog will get better and Klimo/Karlsson/Lockwood are in the system.  We will definitely need to add a solid C prospect sooner or later though.

A Miller trade, if done right, would help us in the same sense it did for the Avs with Duchene. Maybe even moreso. Any decision we make isn't a sure thing though, keeping or trading Miller. Glad I am not the one making these tough decisions. I just hope JR and company are able to make the right ones. We're at perhaps a decade defining crossroads as a franchise with deciding the direction of the team. They have my faith and my concern.

It's going to be interesting, that's for sure.  Fate is with them this year if they decide to make a move.  Most of the top teams have both cap space and good prospects to spend.  If JR could leverage them against each other it could be a huge payday.

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Realisticly JR hangs up the phone 3 times

A  13th overall pick (Coronato); dynamic scoring cough winger! Dude has speeeed...  Top defensive 6'4'' defensive prospect and a 1st?

The Calgary package is actually a good package.  

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Chytll was their 3rd line c and the moved him up to 2nd line winger for similar reasons as the canucks did with Petey.  He's a natural C I believe.

I think they moved him to wing because he projects as a top 6 left winger.  His faceoff % is pretty bad, similar to Dickinson.  A guy like Michael McLeod with a faceoff % over 60% would be a true 3C that would round out our top 9.

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think they moved him to wing because he projects as a top 6 left winger.  His faceoff % is pretty bad, similar to Dickinson.  A guy like Michael McLeod with a faceoff % over 60% would be a true 3C that would round out our top 9.

Very similar to Petey, yes.  He's still young though, there's a good chance he'd grow into it.  

They could very well focus on kravstov instead and use the cap space to sign an experienced 3C.

That's the angle lots of us don't look at, it's going to create cap flexibility and if they move Boeser as well, they'll be players on July 1.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If they surrender their first in a Chychrun deal, I'd be ok with Chytil, Schneider, Barron and one of their 2nds. 

I might even like that better TBH

Adding any Motte's, Schenn's, retention etc and we add from there.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Very similar to Petey, yes.  He's still young though, there's a good chance he'd grow into it.  

They could very well focus on kravstov instead and use the cap space to sign an experienced 3C.

That's the angle lots of us don't look at, it's going to create cap flexibility and if they move Boeser as well, they'll be players on July 1.

I agree.  If you trade Miller then you have enough cap space to go after a UFA to fill a spot.  If we can't land  3C via a trade then we would have the option to get one in free agency.  And we could use the extra 1st round pick to draft one as well so that prospect would be ready by the time we are contenders.  The 3C we get in free agency fills the spot for now until a draft pick can take that spot.

I wonder if JR could convince Patrice Bergeron to come to Vancouver if Boston doesn't make the playoffs.  He would be a great 3C behind Petey and BO.  Not sure what he would command on the market as a 37 year old.  I could see Boston moving away from him if they are not a playoff team and want to use that cap space for a younger player.

• Vintage 1